The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

I'm Mike Zimmer. My QB and top offensive player were never never drafted. I also built this defense. 

I'm Sean McVay. My QB and top offense player were 1st round picks. This defense was already in place when I took this job.

But I'm better looking than Mike Zimmer, which makes for a much more appealing video package! :x

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I hope we blow out the Saints so badly that Payton gets fired and we can hire him as OC...

More realistically, I wonder if Zim will look at one of the NO assistant coaches for a new OC.  

Pete Carmichael seemed a hot name for HC searches a few years back, yet it seems to have cooled.  Not sure why.  Perhaps just got usurped by the new big thing at coordinator. 

Presuming Shurmur bolts and there is an opening at OC, have to imagine it is a coveted job.  Solid talent base and Zimmer is not going to meddle.

55 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I hope we blow out the Saints so badly that Payton gets fired and we can hire him as OC...

More realistically, I wonder if Zim will look at one of the NO assistant coaches for a new OC.  

Stefanski is going to get his shot.  No one here would want that Joe Lombardi guy, despite him being born in Minnesota (and his dad used to be a Vikings' season ticket holder).  He was a terrible OC in Detroit and also was the Saints' QB coach during the 2009 NFCC.  That's too many strikes against him.  

Edited by disaacs

Zimmer ignores matchups.

Putting best 5 offensive line man in the game is simply ignoring matchups. What's the better matchup? Hill against Barnett or Sirles/Isidora against Jernigan?

Beside fundamentals and techniques (Zimmer is top notch here), coaching in the NFL is 2 things:

1) Matchups (strategical)

2) Adaptions (tactical)

I think that Zimmer is average in tactics and bad on the strategic level. Don't misunderstand me, I love Mike Zimmer. But he's lacking in certain areas that I think are needed to get teams to the next level of success. Both Saints and Eagles games have shown that pretty clear. He coached not to loose. 

Compare how the Eagles came out of halftime, up 17 points, to how the Vikings came out of haltfime, up 17 points against the Saints. Night and Day. (And take into acount that Eagles faced a backup QB and Vikings faced a HOF QB). What Doug did was championship football, what Mike did is hoping for the best.

Maybe he'll learn, but it's hard to get out of your skin.

I disagree. Zimmer was not out there missing tackles. Zimmer was not throwing innacurate passes into coverage. 

Iwill concede that there might have been another line combination, but we don’t know that for sure. Sirles has been bad, Hill has been a very good pass blocker, and Isidora would have been getting his first start in an NFCCG. Not an ideal scenario in any configuration.

The Vikings don’t have a head coaching problem. They had their worst day as a defense all season and didn’t have a QB that can compensate for those kind of days. Let’s not overreact and think that they can’t get back here and improve its some of the pieces they have coming back.