My Jets off-season

J_E_T_$

JETS OFF SEASON

I think the direction we should go is invest heavy in free agency on the offensive side, and draft defensively.  Greg Williams is going to get the most out of the defensive players like he has everywhere he has been.  We invest in experienced offensive players to help build up Darnold. With that in-mind, here I go.

CUTS

OT - K Beachum - save $8,000,000

OG - B Winters - save $6,500,000

RB - I Crowell - save $3,000,000

LB - K Pierre-Louis - save $2,000,000

not providing production worth the salaries.

RE-SIGN

QB - J McCown - 2yr. - $4,000,000 per

CB - Mo Claiborne - 4 yr. - $8,000,000 per

thin CB class, need to keep him

CB - B Skrine - 2 yr. - $3,000,000 per

Good production, worth it to keep him as 4th CB

S - D Roberts - 2yr - $2,000,000 per

Good depth

C - J Harrison - 3 yr. - $1,500,000 per

Good back-up C

K - Jason Meyers - 4yr.  - $4,000,000 per

KR - A Roberts - 3yr. - $2,000,000 per

Best return man in NFL

LB - B Copeland - 2 yr. - $1,500,000 per

OG - J Carpenter - 2yr. - $2,500,000 per

Robbie Anderson - RFA 2nd round tender - $3,110,000

The ERFA that are worth it. (I'll let the staff decide these)

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS

OT - Donovan Smith - 6 yr. $12,000,000 per. - he has never missed a game, only 6 penalties all 2018, plug and play for the next 6 years

OG - Rodger Saffold - 4 yr. $10,000,000 per - the top ranked G in free agency,

C - Matt Paradis - 5yr. - $10,000,000 per - #2 overall ranked C last year

Thats a lot of money invested in the o-line, but we need to protect our franchise QB.  I also want to draft multiple mid round o-line to help get better protection at value salaries.

RB - L Bell - 5yr. $15,000,000 per - What better help for darnold than an all-time great RB.  I do worry a bit about the amount of carries he has but I think at least 3 years he will be pro-bowl level and the last 1-2 years of the contract, Darnold should be the focus of the offense and Bell can be the complimentary player.

I dont think and of the top 3 edge rushers(Clowney, F Clark, D Lawrence) make it to free agency.  If any of them did, I would offer in the $18,000,000 per range.  Since I dont think they will make it, here is the back-up plan

DE - D Fowler Jr. 3 yr. - $8,000,000 per - Potential to be great, sell him on Greg Williams turning him into pro-bowler

DRAFT

Trade #3 to Jacksonville

For

#7 (1st)

#38 (2nd)

#69 (3rd)

2020 2nd round pick

Close to what we gave up to move up in 2018.  Jacksonville jumps everyone to get the QB they want.

1 - Ari - (DE) N Bosa - best DE in class

2 - SF - (DE) - J Allen - close second

3 - Jack - (QB) D Haskins - Jacksonville gets its rookie QB to build around

4 - Oak - (DE) C Ferrell - if he fell to the Jets, my draft would look much different

5 - TB -  (OT) J Williams - to replace D Smith only much cheaper

6 - NYG - (QB) K Murray - walking into Beckham and Barkley, what a dream spot to be in

7 - NYJ - (DT) Q Williams - the interior d-line would instantly be top 5 in the league

Round 2 - #6 - (OT) Cody Ford (Oklahoma) - starts at RT

Round 3 - #4 - (DE) Austin Bryant (Clemson) - starts at DE

Round 3 - #5 - (OG) Beau Benzschawel (Wisconsin) - by end of year is starting RG

Round 3 - #29 - (LB) Khalil Hodge (Buffalo) - future starter

Round 4 - #3 - (WR) David Stills (W Virginia) - big target for the red zone

Round 5 - #2 - (CB) Justin Layne (Michigan St) - 6'3 with 44 tackles and 15 pass def, not bad for a 5th rounder

Round 7 - #3 - (QB) Ryan Finley ( NC State) - cheap developmental QB with a lot of experience

AFTER DRAFT

We will round out the team with a few veteran 1 year type contracts.  I would hope to get a veteran WR and DE who gets cut.

FINAL VERDICT

I think with all this and Sam Darnold getting better every game, the offense take a huge leap forward.

The defense under Greg Williams, especially the d-line with the 2 Williams inside, Fowler Jr. and Austin Bryant on the edges, gets much better and we make the playoffs as a wild card.

The future looks bright plus we have an extra 2nd round pick in 2020 from the Jacksonville trade.......

Good effort on this. Just two notes, our secondary would not be upgraded in this scenario and we definitely need some upgrades. In terms of the draft, the  odds of Quinnen Williams making it to 7 are slim to none. Q is a much better fit for San Fran then Allen is, Q is a much better prospect than Ferrell is for Oak, and on a side note,  while TB doesn’t need Q, Jonah is not going top 5 there. Either way, I don’t see TB letting Donovan shake lose. Early reports have indicated that they’ll franchise tag him if need be. 

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Good effort on this. Just two notes, our secondary would not be upgraded in this scenario and we definitely need some upgrades. In terms of the draft, the  odds of Quinnen Williams making it to 7 are slim to none. Q is a much better fit for San Fran then Allen is, Q is a much better prospect than Ferrell is for Oak, and on a side note,  while TB doesn’t need Q, Jonah is not going top 5 there. Either way, I don’t see TB letting Donovan shake lose. Early reports have indicated that they’ll franchise tag him if need be. 

I tend to agree Q should be a top 2 pick, but I remember a few years ago Leonard Williams was the top rated player coming out and he fell to #6, 

The Bucs only have about $16,000,000 in space, I think they will cut Desean Jackson and gain another $10,000,000 but thats not a lot of space for rookies and other ares needed filling.  They only won 5 games and are cap strapped, I don't think they can spend $12,000,000 of the space on an OT.  Im frequently wrong, but just a guess.

9 minutes ago, J_E_T_$ said:

I tend to agree Q should be a top 2 pick, but I remember a few years ago Leonard Williams was the top rated player coming out and he fell to #6, 

The Bucs only have about $16,000,000 in space, I think they will cut Desean Jackson and gain another $10,000,000 but thats not a lot of space for rookies and other ares needed filling.  They only won 5 games and are cap strapped, I don't think they can spend $12,000,000 of the space on an OT.  Im frequently wrong, but just a guess.

I think the difference between Leo and Q is that multiple teams can use Q. Leo didn’t have many suitors. In terms of the Bucs, just going off of recent reports 

I like it. But some of it seems unrealistic. I don't see Donovan Smith becoming available. I also think it's unreasonable to expect Q to be there at 7 and for Ford to be there in the 2nd round. Q getting out of the top 5 would be a big surprise. And Ford getting out of the top 20 would be a surprise as well. 

If we were to get Smith, I wouldn't mind keeping Beachum as a backup swing tackle even at an elevated price. 

If this were to happen, I would be excited. I'm just not getting my hopes up that something like this is realistic. Our OLine would be a strength. 

Not a big fan really.  Starting with the resignings.  Giving Mo Claiborne a 4 year deal seems like madness, giving Skrine any deal seems like madness.  Giving McCown a 2 year deal seems ill advised, dude will be 40 before this season starts and looked really bad when pushed into action last year.  

TB has all but said they are bringing Donovan Smith bad.  Getting both Paradis and Safford would be great but it seems unlikely that both walk AND both choose to be Jets.  

If all we have to show for upgrading our edge class is Fowler and Bryant I'd be pretty sad.  

I'd love getting Q but i really think if we trade back from 3 he is long gone by 7.  Also i don't wanna live in a world where Clelin Ferrell goes before Q.  And yes Leo fell to 6 but not to 7 and Q is twice the player right now than Leo was when he was coming out.  

I'd be shocked if Ford made it out of the first round.  I had us taking him at #15 and i wasn't really sure he'd make it there.  

I mean sure, it'd be great if this happened but it seems unlikely.

Archived