ILB Brandon Marshall Released by Denver

turtle28

Should we cut Brown and sign him?

Marshall was a good LB but injuries have slowed him the last few years and also have hurt the Broncos defense as a result. 

I guess for me, it depends on the cost. I'd rather stick with what we have minus Mason Foster and maybe Zach Brown but if Marshall doesn't cost too much, I’d sign him too.

I saw the other day that Jordan Hicks is a FA this offseason. He’s had terrible injury issues for Philly, but I think he’s a really good player. I’ve been wondering what the price tag will look like for him — if it’s reasonable, I might take the plunge and hope he can string together some healthy seasons. 

Denzel Perryman is another guy who I see in that similar boat, sort of a poor man’s Hicks. 

The only way a FA comes to Washington is     A. He has no other offers. B. He has some sort of baggage. C. We massively over pay.

Not trying to be overly pessimistic about the situation, but this is the reality while our front office is run like a traveling carnival

1 hour ago, Marcus21 said:

The only way a FA comes to Washington is     A. He has no other offers. B. He has some sort of baggage. C. We massively over pay.

Not trying to be overly pessimistic about the situation, but this is the reality while our front office is run like a traveling carnival

That’s true, which is why we need to continue to build through the draft.

2 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

This would qualify under B, as his injury history and age are baggage in this instance.  

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They have their starters at ILB. There’s no way in hell they would’ve claimed Foster without wanting him as a starter. SDH and Reuben will be the starters. 

Foster is a guaranteed starter once he’s cleared to play. But why would SDH be? He wasn’t a high draft pick and he didn’t play particularly well as a rookie. He’s always seemed to me like a better fit as a #3 ILB who’s smart enough and reasonably physical enough to back up both positions. 

ILB play is probably more important now than it’s ever been — at least in terms of having guys who are versatile enough to play both run and pass. They need another quality starter to go with Reuben. I don’t think that’s SDH.

And, unlike other positions of need like a #1 WR and an explosive pass-rusher (not to mention a franchise QB), they could potentially address ILB in FA. I would aim to shoot a little younger than Brandon Marshall, but there are some pretty effective ILBs out there. CJ Mosley would be a dream addition, obviously, but guys like Hicks and Perryman would be big upgrades if they stayed healthy for us (which, I know, big if...)

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They have their starters at ILB. There’s no way in hell they would’ve claimed Foster without wanting him as a starter. SDH and Reuben will be the starters. 

Rob Ryan got a lot out of Brown when he was his coach. My guess is that we keep Brown and stop making him cover so much. Instead we have him attack the LOS (which is what he's best at).

My take: assuming they are tanking (and they should be), don't sign any major free agent. Let guys like Smith and Crowder walk so you can pocket the compensatory picks for them. Don't risk losing those. Certainly don't do it for a guy who may be done due to injuries.

EDIT: Since Marshall has been released, he shouldn't count in the compensatory equation. That said, not liking the injury history there.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, e16bball said:

Foster is a guaranteed starter once he’s cleared to play. But why would SDH be? He wasn’t a high draft pick and he didn’t play particularly well as a rookie. He’s always seemed to me like a better fit as a #3 ILB who’s smart enough and reasonably physical enough to back up both positions. 

ILB play is probably more important now than it’s ever been — at least in terms of having guys who are versatile enough to play both run and pass. They need another quality starter to go with Reuben. I don’t think that’s SDH.

At least SDH can be the defensive playcaller. Foster had that taken away from him in his second season (I would rather he be gone from the franchise altogether, but I get that they've made their bed with him).

20 hours ago, Woz said:

My take: assuming they are tanking (and they should be), don't sign any major free agent. Let guys like Smith and Crowder walk so you can pocket the compensatory picks for them. Don't risk losing those. Certainly don't do it for a guy who may be done due to injuries.

EDIT: Since Marshall has been released, he shouldn't count in the compensatory equation. That said, not liking the injury history there.

Also, he's too old to take a risk and hope he's there for the future, provided we are tanking.  

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, he's too old to take a risk and hope he's there for the future, provided we are tanking.  

Eh, if it was for a one year (or two year where year two auto-voids), it could work. But it probably isn't worth bothering with.

Though, if it meant that Foster didn't take a snap for this franchise, I could on board with going with trying to rehab the broken down Marshall.

Archived