How much trade value do the following have right now

patriotsheatyan

On 2/22/2019 at 2:03 PM, wackywabbit said:

Every 2018 rookie QB needs to improve as a passer. Otherwise, they will all be busts. Maybe Baker can continue to be the average starting player he was, but that's still a dissappointment for a #1 overall pick. The rest won't be starting in 3 years.

What people are really saying is that they don't believe Lamar Jackson has the capacity to improve significantly as a passer, but everyone else does.

Right. Because he's SIGNIFICANTLY behind all of the other 1st round QB's when it comes to throwing the football. He needs to take much further strides in his passing abilities than the other guys do. He will progress as a passer, but I am very skeptical that he's going to become significantly better in this area in such a short amount of time. He needs to make massive improvements the likes of which we have never seen. And it's not just his accuracy. He makes poor decisions with the ball, he fumbles the ball all over the place, and processes the game slowly from a passing standpoint. He's also going to have less opportunities to improve those skills in an offense that is built around him running the ball more than throwing it.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like only Ravens fans are the ones that think he's going to turn into a serviceable passer.

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Right. Because he's SIGNIFICANTLY behind all of the other 1st round QB's when it comes to throwing the football. He needs to take much further strides in his passing abilities than the other guys do. He will progress as a passer, but I am very skeptical that he's going to become significantly better in this area in such a short amount of time. He needs to make massive improvements the likes of which we have never seen. And it's not just his accuracy. He makes poor decisions with the ball, he fumbles the ball all over the place, and processes the game slowly from a passing standpoint. He's also going to have less opportunities to improve those skills in an offense that is built around him running the ball more than throwing it.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like only Ravens fans are the ones that think he's going to turn into a serviceable passer.

You've already been proven wrong in the claim that "only Ravens fans" believe that, what was a consensus top 50 prospect, can play. Doesn't really mean anything anyway.

He's already a much better player and passer than the list of criticisms you just made up. He didn't have much of a problem seeing the field and handled the speed of the game better than most rookies. You seem to truly believe the Ravens would have gone 6-1 to finish the season (with only an OT loss at Arrowhead) if they just started a pretty good RB at QB. He was already a plus player as a 21 year old rookie. He's not significantly behind on any timeline.

34 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

You've already been proven wrong in the claim that "only Ravens fans" believe that, what was a consensus top 50 prospect, can play. Doesn't really mean anything anyway.

He's already a much better player and passer than the list of criticisms you just made up. He didn't have much of a problem seeing the field and handled the speed of the game better than most rookies. You seem to truly believe the Ravens would have gone 6-1 to finish the season (with only an OT loss at Arrowhead) if they just started a pretty good RB at QB. He was already a plus player as a 21 year old rookie. He's not significantly behind on any timeline.

So is he equal to Baker as a passer?  You know the main requisite to being a qb?

cuidado

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

So is he equal to Baker as a passer?  You know the main requisite to being a qb?

cuidado

Just ignore him. He's the Stevie Wonder of these forums. Lamar Jackson is the next Tom Brady...but faster. Move on. I'm not arguing with this guy anymore. Not until after next season when I can rub it in and thump my chest.

And @wackywabbit I expect you to do the same if Lamar somehow doesn't continue to suck throwing the ball next year. Until then, this debate with a human brick wall is over.

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Just ignore him. He's the Stevie Wonder of these forums. Lamar Jackson is the next Tom Brady...but faster. Move on. I'm not arguing with this guy anymore. Not until after next season when I can rub it in and thump my chest.

And @wackywabbit I expect you to do the same if Lamar somehow doesn't continue to suck throwing the ball next year. Until then, this debate with a human brick wall is over.

Too easy?

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You are making up hyperboles that don't resemble anything I said for what reason exactly?

If Lamar Jackson once again wins a ton of games and brings us to the top of the division, I'll be doing the same thing I am now.

Lamar Jackson needs to take significant steps forward as a passer to be the long term answer for Baltimore at QB.   NO, he absolutely did not "see the field well", as he clearly struggled with reads and progression.    He is very young, yes, so he definitely could get better, but the thing is....teams will have more footage of him, too.   Team will adapt to certain things he did last year, and alot of QBs like him have struggled with that in the past.    He needs to progress to a point where he isnt as one dimensional and not just asked to make throws when he absolutely has to, and he wasnt good for much more than that last year.      

Now, I know someone will say I am just hating on Jackson and the Ravens because they are rivals, but no....I thought it was worth a shot for the Ravens and I do think he can get better, but he was a major boom/bust prospect and was very raw coming out.   I am skeptical about his chances to dramatically improve his passing ability...but time will tell.

17 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Lamar Jackson needs to take significant steps forward as a passer to be the long term answer for Baltimore at QB.   NO, he absolutely did not "see the field well", as he clearly struggled with reads and progression.    He is very young, yes, so he definitely could get better, but the thing is....teams will have more footage of him, too.   Team will adapt to certain things he did last year, and alot of QBs like him have struggled with that in the past.    He needs to progress to a point where he isnt as one dimensional and not just asked to make throws when he absolutely has to, and he wasnt good for much more than that last year.      

Now, I know someone will say I am just hating on Jackson and the Ravens because they are rivals, but no....I thought it was worth a shot for the Ravens and I do think he can get better, but he was a major boom/bust prospect and was very raw coming out.   I am skeptical about his chances to dramatically improve his passing ability...but time will tell.

So let me ask you this: As someone who roots for a team that  plays the Ravens twice a year, aren't you kind of hoping they stick it out with Lamar? As of this moment, he's clearly the worst QB in the AFC North. The Ravens have a nasty defense and a very good run game. I'm so glad they also don't have a competent thrower of the football because they'd be a Super Bowl contender for sure. I pray they keep trotting him out there and allowing teams to only worry about stopping the run and an occasional deep shot.

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

So let me ask you this: As someone who roots for a team that  plays the Ravens twice a year, aren't you kind of hoping they stick it out with Lamar? As of this moment, he's clearly the worst QB in the AFC North. The Ravens have a nasty defense and a very good run game. I'm so glad they also don't have a competent thrower of the football because they'd be a Super Bowl contender for sure. I pray they keep trotting him out there and allowing teams to only worry about stopping the run and an occasional deep shot.

Well, at the very least he will be their unquestioned QB for 2019 and, unless he looks just dreadful in 2019, probably 2020 as well.

Jackson is still very young and has upside.   Even though Im not particularly high on his passing skills, he can definitely get better.    It will come down to coaching and how well he responds to it.   Mobile QBs like him often struggle to become better than average passers.   They also often struggle when teams begin to exploit the weaknesses in their game, since their passing abilities are usually pretty basic (for instance, alot of mobile QBs will make one read, and if it isnt there, will either panic and force a throw, or take off running).      If Jackson has a good defense and running game supporting him, I think the Ravens can continue to have success with him, but unless he develops a good deal more as a passer, I think their success will always be limited.   Its exactly how I felt when Kordell Stewart was our QB (and for the record, I think Jackson is easily better than Kordell....but the point still stands when it comes to QBs with limited passing abilities).

Bottom line....its all about how much he improves in the passing game.    If he develops into even a solid passer, he will be their QB for a long time IMO.

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Well, at the very least he will be their unquestioned QB for 2019 and, unless he looks just dreadful in 2019, probably 2020 as well.

Jackson is still very young and has upside.   Even though Im not particularly high on his passing skills, he can definitely get better.    It will come down to coaching and how well he responds to it.   Mobile QBs like him often struggle to become better than average passers.   They also often struggle when teams begin to exploit the weaknesses in their game, since their passing abilities are usually pretty basic (for instance, alot of mobile QBs will make one read, and if it isnt there, will either panic and force a throw, or take off running).      If Jackson has a good defense and running game supporting him, I think the Ravens can continue to have success with him, but unless he develops a good deal more as a passer, I think their success will always be limited.   Its exactly how I felt when Kordell Stewart was our QB (and for the record, I think Jackson is easily better than Kordell....but the point still stands when it comes to QBs with limited passing abilities).

Bottom line....its all about how much he improves in the passing game.    If he develops into even a solid passer, he will be their QB for a long time IMO.

Yeah.  Unless he has an absolutely catastrophic 2019 season or suffers a massive injury or something, i just find it hard to see the Ravens only giving him 2019 to show something.  They drafted the guy in the 1st round and won a good number of games with him in 2018 after all.  Whether he ever gets there or not...there's going to be that tantalizing "upside" of a runner like that if he can just suck less at passing, and show more of those flashes as a passer.  For a couple years at least.

I'm not a big Lamar Jackson believer, but even with that said...i think he gets at least a 2019 and 2020 set of seasons to either secure the job longer-term if he actually takes steps...or send the Ravens back into the QB of the future market.

Archived