Would Peyton Manning have still been playing in 2018 if he didn’t break his neck?

patriotsheatyan

Would Peyton Manning have still been playing in 2018 if he didn’t break his neck?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would Peyton Manning have still been playing in 2018 if he didn’t break his neck?

• Yes, and at a high level
    • Yes, but he would only be so-so
    • Yes, but he would have been on his last leg
    • No, he would have retired before 2018

No I'd think he'd be retired after 2016 so 1 more season at most.

5 hours ago, William Lee said:

2018 - 1976 = 42 years old.

He wouldn't be able to throw deep as good as he used to be, therefore he wouldn't be as good at least, because he depended on big plays to score 27 pts.

Brady, on the other hand, doesn't need big plays to score 27 pts.

Depended the big play? Peyton use to march teams all up and down the field not just on chunk plays. Besides Brady has the better arm than Peyton as can be seen when he launches 50+ to Moss and Gronk. 

I think he would be retiring this offseason at the latest.  Even before he got hurt, his arm strength seemed to be fading a bit.  With his mind and vision, he would still be better than numerous QBs, but wouldnt be pushing it down the field much.  I imagine he would pretty much be an Alex Smith-esque QB right now...minus mobility.

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yep, it affected all the muscles in his neck and shoulders 

I feel I should clear things up because Peyton's injury is different than what people think happened.

1) He never broke his neck. He had a herniated disk which was putting pressure on some nerves. I'm not making light of his injury at all because it was terrible but he never broke his neck as people claim. 

2) How quickly the nerve can regenerate (if at all) after the pressure from the herniated disk is relieved is what's important.

3) The only time the muscles would be effected in this situation is due to the nerves not working correctly.

4) Once your fusion fully takes place and your nerve heals (assuming it does) then everything returns to normal. In most cases you don't have any restrictions if rehab goes well. 

The muscles in and around his neck would not be permanently effected unless the nerve didn't fully regenerate. Considering the first couple of seasons Peyton had in Denver it's fairly easy to assume that the surgery was a success and the nerve fully healed since he was playing arguably the best football of his life. 

Unless there was a new injury that caused the nerve to be pinched again there is no reason why his neck fusion shortened his career.

I know this all too well as I required a neck fusion when I was a teenager. I didn't break my neck per se but a part of my neck was dislocating and moving too much that it eventually wore down the vertebrae and a disk to the point where I needed a fusion. Took me about 2 years before I had no restrictions and surprisingly I actually gained some range of motion from the surgery. 

No idea, but I know his lower body was starting to go in that last year. Was that bad luck? Caused by lack of juice in the shoulder/upper body? Something he could’ve come back from no problem? Who knows. 

I think he’d have retired either way, as a Bronco. The bigger consideration is that he may have never left Indy. In which case, it really is a stab in the dark on what would’ve happened.

Archived