New wrinkles coming to Dallas? (And I don't mean for Jerry)

D82

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/08/25/sullivan-random-thoughts-include-mcfadden’s-carries-camp-standout

Will be interesting to see how the offense evolves this regular season on two fronts. First, head coach Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson spent the entire offseason making tweaks to the scheme that better fit Dak Prescott rather than Tony Romo. And two, no one in the league spent a second preparing for Dak during the 2016 offseason. I think we’re going to see more no huddle, more play-action and roll outs, and more screen passes. Also more one-on-one opportunities for Dez Bryant, meaning if Dez is in one-on-one, let him make a play. He doesn’t need to have a step or separation. We kind of saw that with the touchdown catch last Saturday.

So what are your thoughts? Do we see some new wrinkles in the offense? Especially with the Elliott suspension and the additions of Rico Gathers (hopefully) and Ryan Switzer? 

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/08/25/sullivan-random-thoughts-include-mcfadden’s-carries-camp-standout

First, head coach Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson spent the entire offseason making tweaks to the scheme that better fit Dak Prescott rather than Tony Romo.

This is exactly what I said we should be looking for in the Dak expectations thread rather than "opening up the playbook".  I'm excited to see how these small changes effect the offense and Dak's success this season.  

Like I said in my Split Ends post -

I can foresee far more spread formations, with two slot players, making use of Switzer or Gathers in one slot and BEasley in the other. This will also open up the defense and put them in a tough spot - cover the slots tightly, or get gashed up the middle by McFadden and eventually Zeke, who both run well in a singleback.

It's easy to see our '12' personnel was ineffective outside of 2014, and even then, it mostly worked because Hannah had an outstanding season. Switching it up with more spread stuff, with this kind of roster, really makes sense. I guess we'll see in Week 1.

Archived