Football Cards

waffles7

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

Select football drops today at $1500+ per SINGLE HOBBY BOX.

Screw Panini. I hope everyone that works there involved in pricing stubs their toe today. Really wanted to get some of this and UFC Prizm but I won't give them a penny of my money. 

I would of bought it at $450, maybeee 500ish, I like the select series quite a bit. But 1500? Yeah, hard pass. I’m not a moron. 

• Like 1

So, question for anyone with intricate knowledge of how rookie cards work...I bought a 2019 Flawless Corbin Burnes and a 2019 National Treasures GGS Kyle Tucker. Neither have the RC on the card but, for the Burnes, it's listed on Panini's checklist under Rookie Dual Patch Auto. The Tucker is under the Dual Game Gear whatever with no rookie designation but it's a lower number in the set (of 25 with some guys in the set going as high as 99). Are these considered "prospect" cards and not rookies? I ask because on the 2019 Immaculate series, Tucker's card has a RC logo on it. 

21 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I would of bought it at $450, maybeee 500ish, I like the select series quite a bit. But 1500? Yeah, hard pass. I’m not a moron. 

Yup, I was willing to go up to $600 because I had a couple guys that wanted to break them together, but I can't justify anything close to $1500. 

What a joke Panini has turned into. 

On 4/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, beekay414 said:

It's....not just Panini though.

They are leading the charge for sure. When you price a single box of Prizm at $1200+ and drive up the demand for the retail stuff, and then continue to mark up all of the hobby stuff afterwards, you're creating a dynamic where this (sealed) stuff is worth more than gold. 

The thing is, unless you get a huge hit out of the box, you will mostly likely not even get your money back. I can't tell you how many Select/Prizm/Limited/P&P/etc breaks I've watched on youtube where the pulls would maybe net half of the boxes price. 

I'm curious to see how UFC Prizm does. It'll probably sell out quick as usual from the non-MMA fans to try to flip for a quick buck, but in all of the MMA groups I'm in, they aren't having it. Most are content just looking for the old stuff. MMA collectors are a different breed than the other major sports. 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

They are leading the charge for sure. When you price a single box of Prizm at $1200+ and drive up the demand for the retail stuff, and then continue to mark up all of the hobby stuff afterwards, you're creating a dynamic where this (sealed) stuff is worth more than gold. 

The thing is, unless you get a huge hit out of the box, you will mostly likely not even get your money back. I can't tell you how many Select/Prizm/Limited/P&P/etc breaks I've watched on youtube where the pulls would maybe net half of the boxes price. 

I'm curious to see how UFC Prizm does. It'll probably sell out quick as usual from the non-MMA fans to try to flip for a quick buck, but in all of the MMA groups I'm in, they aren't having it. Most are content just looking for the old stuff. MMA collectors are a different breed than the other major sports. 

I don’t think I can really fault Panini for the prices they are charging. For the past year or longer a bunch of this stuff has been selling out in seconds and then going for a huge premium on the secondary market. If you’re a business, why would you not try and get in on that? If you’re selling boxes with an MSRP of $100 and then 20 minutes later seeing those for $500 on eBay, why wouldn’t you just start charging $500? People have chosen to just go crazy with spending and are going to pay the prices regardless, whether it is to the manufacturers or the middlemen. 

55 minutes ago, winitall said:

I don’t think I can really fault Panini for the prices they are charging. For the past year or longer a bunch of this stuff has been selling out in seconds and then going for a huge premium on the secondary market. If you’re a business, why would you not try and get in on that? If you’re selling boxes with an MSRP of $100 and then 20 minutes later seeing those for $500 on eBay, why wouldn’t you just start charging $500? People have chosen to just go crazy with spending and are going to pay the prices regardless, whether it is to the manufacturers or the middlemen. 

They are a monopoly, but you're right that they are just doing what they think is best for business.

I see a ton of people getting turned off from the hobby because they can't afford it and the people who are still into it will eventually fade. They won't be buying $1000+ boxes year after year when the vast majority of the time they are only making half of that back with the cards they get. They are oversaturating the market and not supplying a mixture of high end/low end cards to justify some of the products being so expensive. Everything has become high end. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pulled a Bowman Chrome Autograph 1st Bowman of Maximo Acosta. Not numbered but still a good card. I see in eBay auctions people bidding up to $300 and I paid 300 for this box. So the card basically paid for my box. Although I’m gonna hold onto it. 

• Like 2

I really do not like Topps Baseball products outside of their Inception line. Even their Tier One stuff looks bland as hell and isn't worth the price you pay for it ($180 for 2 autos and 1 relic). Panini, while not as valuable if you pull something good, is a way more fun pull. Example, got a Topps Heritage Blaster and Hanger box each and pulled absolutely nothing out of them. Just a bland, boring product. Even their inserts suck. Nothing redeeming at all.

Meanwhile, I got a ton of Panini Donruss and those were just so damn fun to open. Yes, I'm aware with the licensing issue that Panini doesn't hold it's value like a Topps pull would but IDEC man. Topps you spend the money for nothing unless you get a hit. Panini you spend it to have fun with the pull and get their hits for half value of what a Topps hit would be. So, with that said, Panini at half value but more fun for the same price, I'll lean Panini every time.

If I want Topps stuff, I'll just buy individuals tbqh. I got lucky with the Ke'Bryan Hayes #/25 patch rookie auto and the Cristian Pache auto #/199 otherwise the Inception pulls were likely a bust, which is TBE. I bought a Alex Kirilloff Inception rookie patch auto #/75 for $60 that's worth over $100 now. Got a Kyle Lewis 2020 Topps Chrome auto non-numbered for $30-40 less than they go for currently. Just gonna keep seeking out the deals for Topps stuff rather than invest into their hobby/blaster/jumbos and the like. Watched too many Jabs Family pulls as it is and just always come out disappointed in the product.

Sorry for the rant, just got a little pissed at Topps for just...bleh stuff. It's like the licensing has made them lazy.

Edited by beekay414

36 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I really do not like Topps Baseball products outside of their Inception line. Even their Tier One stuff looks bland as hell and isn't worth the price you pay for it ($180 for 2 autos and 1 relic). Panini, while not as valuable if you pull something good, is a way more fun pull. Example, got a Topps Heritage Blaster and Hanger box each and pulled absolutely nothing out of them. Just a bland, boring product. Even their inserts suck. Nothing redeeming at all.

Meanwhile, I got a ton of Panini Donruss and those were just so damn fun to open. Yes, I'm aware with the licensing issue that Panini doesn't hold it's value like a Topps pull would but IDEC man. Topps you spend the money for nothing unless you get a hit. Panini you spend it to have fun with the pull and get their hits for half value of what a Topps hit would be. So, with that said, Panini at half value but more fun for the same price, I'll lean Panini every time.

If I want Topps stuff, I'll just buy individuals tbqh. I got lucky with the Ke'Bryan Hayes #/25 patch rookie auto and the Cristian Pache auto #/199 otherwise the Inception pulls were likely a bust, which is TBE. I bought a Alex Kirilloff Inception rookie patch auto #/75 for $60 that's worth over $100 now. Got a Kyle Lewis 2020 Topps Chrome auto non-numbered for $30-40 less than they go for currently. Just gonna keep seeking out the deals for Topps stuff rather than invest into their hobby/blaster/jumbos and the like. Watched too many Jabs Family pulls as it is and just always come out disappointed in the product.

Sorry for the rant, just got a little pissed at Topps for just...bleh stuff. It's like the licensing has made them lazy.

Yeah even Bowman looks "meh" these days. However, Bowman is still quite affordable (for todays market...), and way more valuable than Panini stuff (speaking strictly Baseball). 

From what I've seen, value is:

Football:

1. Panini Prizm

2. Panini One (but these are just one card, so a little tricky)

3. Panini Donruss Optic

4. Panini Select

5. Panini Immaculate

Bit of a gap... then maybe Panini Mosiac as 6th. 

As for Baseball, it's Bowmans or go home basically. And basically gotta get those 1st Bowman Rookie Autograph's that are Chrome, Refractor's, numbered, etc. Unlike Panini products where there is so many different types that have value such as Stained Glass, Different color refractors, several different types of jersey rookie autos, etc. So I agree Panini is such a fun pull. But Football Panini is sooo expensive!

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As for Baseball, it's Bowmans or go home basically.

Yep, I have also been in on individual auto Bowmans as I can't bring myself to spend $500 on their 1st Edition hobby boxes or $250+ for their baseball boxes, especially when the trade off for spending the money is 1 guaranteed auto lol. Yeah, it's fun to risk it when you're looking at pulling a Tatis or Acuna rookie with the old stuff but it's not really worth it otherwise. LIS, I'm just chasing down individuals of Topps and Bowman that I think are worth the investment. Obviously never going to have the aforementioned Tatis or Acuna type cards but I can live with investing into the Kyle Lewis, Brendan Rodgers, Keston Hiura, Ryan Mountcastle, Tyler Stephenson types. 

I want to have fun with this stuff, not use it as, basically, the stock market LOL. Panini is just such a fun pull compared to Topps.