Could Chuck Pagano recruit an old friend?

soulman

Chicago Bears: Could Chuck Pagano recruit an old friend?

Would Terrell Suggs make sense for the Chicago Bears?

Suggs is 36-years old, but he’s coming off a season in Baltimore where he still recorded seven sacks. Suggs doesn’t stop the run like he used to, but he still knows how to get to the quarterback, and that’s something that no team can have enough of on their roster.

Suggs has stated he wants to end his career in Baltimore, but he’s also said it’s more important to him to play this year if that’s not an option. The Ravens are tight in cap space, and with the move to a young quarterback, they are also going to want to start steering the roster in a younger direction.

Suggs just finished a 4-year, $20 million contract with Baltimore. At his age, Suggs is probably only looking at a 1-year deal or perhaps a 2-year deal with 1 year guaranteed. His average yearly price shouldn’t be more than about $3 or $4 million per year, which just happens to be the exact salary that Aaron Lynch made last year.

Adding Suggs to the Bears edge group could be a dynamic addition. Khalil Mack and Leonard Floyd could take the lion’s share of the snaps, but new defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano could use Suggs in situational pass rush situations and also create some dynamic pass rushing packages with Floyd, Suggs, Mack and Akiem Hicks all on the field at the same time.

Signing a player like Suggs would be very different from a traditional Ryan Pace move, but the team has never been in this position entering an offseason.

The Bears are good. This is a different offseason for Ryan Pace. He’s created a great cake, but it’s time to focus on icing it. Suggs could make an excellent Bears’ pass rush even more dynamic and financially he could easily just slide in and replace Lynch.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Would it be better to bring in an aging war horse pass rusher like Suggs (if available) or make a concerted effort to re-sign Lynch for 2-3 more years?

Suggs. I've been calling for him since Pagano was signed on. I also think he stays in BAL though. 

Lynch did ok but was nothing special, he is a mediocre pass rusher and has a history of a hot/cold motor. I'd be fine with signing him but he is a $2mil per year player. Physically he should dominate, if he had the motor Hicks and Mack have he could have been Shawne Merriman all over again (pre-PED bust lol )

Suggs gives you a guy who has a constantly hot motor anf has some serious dog to him. I'd like Floyd, Fitts, and Irving to be around that more while they grow as passrushers. 

Truth be told if Nelson from Iowa drops I'd like him to follow Suggs like a puppy. Beside Mack our rushers are pretty much speed/athletic based rushers, Nelson is a power/technique guy like Suggs. He could learn a lot from him. 

I just can't see him leaving unless he's getting a lot more then Baltimore can offer. I don't want us to give him more money then them. Baltimore also made the playoffs. I can't see any way he leaves.  The role they're talking about I assume Baltimore will offer him. 

Now after realizing that were gonna pay Floyd $13m+ for good run D, ok pass rush and always hurt. I hope we can resind picking up his option. Forget that. We can get run D for a lot cheaper.

47 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

I just can't see him leaving unless he's getting a lot more then Baltimore can offer. I don't want us to give him more money then them. Baltimore also made the playoffs. I can't see any way he leaves.  The role they're talking about I assume Baltimore will offer him. 

Now after realizing that were gonna pay Floyd $13m+ for good run D, ok pass rush and always hurt. I hope we can resind picking up his option. Forget that. We can get run D for a lot cheaper.

No doubt. I hope we can extend and restructure that. I'd be much happier at $8 a year but not sure what his value is as a 3-4 OLB who doesn't get a lot of sacks. 

7 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

My thinking is Pace will have worked out an extension for Floyd with some significant incentives long before having to pay him the 5th year option price.

I also believe that may be Atlanta's thinking regarding Beasley.  Tough to see him worth nearly $13 mil based on his recent production.

Pace and Laine seem to be pretty good at nailing the absolute value of a player to them and making an offer based on that.  I don't believe they choose to lowball anyone.  If they feel they simply can't pay what another team may be willing to pay they'll let that player walk or if a vet players current contract calls for more than they feel he's worth I don't feel they'd hesitate to ask for a reduction or a restructure or release that player if denied that.

As for Suggs I believe he wants to finish his career in Baltimore and would only be an option if Baltimore fails to make him an offer.

As for Lynch I'm somewhat ambivalent.  He was motivated and played well but he's only finished one 16 game season in his entire career and that was in his rookie year.  I could see Pace possibly making him a 2-3 offer for an average similar to what he got in 2018 but with a back door after one season.

Conversely I could also see Denver pursuing him now that Vic is HC there.  He may value him more then we do and a better backup for Chubb.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, soulman said:

Chicago Bears: Could Chuck Pagano recruit an old friend?

Would Terrell Suggs make sense for the Chicago Bears?

Suggs is 36-years old, but he’s coming off a season in Baltimore where he still recorded seven sacks. Suggs doesn’t stop the run like he used to, but he still knows how to get to the quarterback, and that’s something that no team can have enough of on their roster.

Suggs has stated he wants to end his career in Baltimore, but he’s also said it’s more important to him to play this year if that’s not an option. The Ravens are tight in cap space, and with the move to a young quarterback, they are also going to want to start steering the roster in a younger direction.

Suggs just finished a 4-year, $20 million contract with Baltimore. At his age, Suggs is probably only looking at a 1-year deal or perhaps a 2-year deal with 1 year guaranteed. His average yearly price shouldn’t be more than about $3 or $4 million per year, which just happens to be the exact salary that Aaron Lynch made last year.

Adding Suggs to the Bears edge group could be a dynamic addition. Khalil Mack and Leonard Floyd could take the lion’s share of the snaps, but new defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano could use Suggs in situational pass rush situations and also create some dynamic pass rushing packages with Floyd, Suggs, Mack and Akiem Hicks all on the field at the same time.

Signing a player like Suggs would be very different from a traditional Ryan Pace move, but the team has never been in this position entering an offseason.

The Bears are good. This is a different offseason for Ryan Pace. He’s created a great cake, but it’s time to focus on icing it. Suggs could make an excellent Bears’ pass rush even more dynamic and financially he could easily just slide in and replace Lynch.

I’d be okay with 1 year 4 million dollar deal for Suggs.  I’d do that tomorrow.  

Archived