Reload with comp picks? And free agency strategy.

Kiwibrown

Let them Walk get the picks  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Let them Walk get the picks

• Let them walk, collect the picks, reload for 2020
    • Sign our key guys and spend big in free agency
    • Sign our key guys, careful spend in free agency and hopefully we get 1-2 comp picks
    • Other
    • Horny

We have a number of unrestricted free agents off contract. 

Tyrod Taylor

EJ Gaines 

Perriman

Robinson

Restricted free agents

Higgins

Exclusive rights free agent

Coley

Most or all I expect will be on the nfl next year, if we let them all walk bar Higgins and Coley, and only make 1-2 moderate signings we could receive a bumper crop of compensatory picks, especially of people over pay for either Robinson or perriman. If we dont resign anyone and and are very careful in free agency we could get a lot of comp picks.

This will certainly be of interest to Paul Depodesta. Will it be of interest to Dorsey? 

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What kind of compensation do you think they will get? None of them would warrant a 3rd rd comp. IMO. I rather keep them instead of plugging late rd or UDFA rookies  to fill their spots

If we were lucky maybe a 4th from Robinson or perriman, but probably 4ths-7ths

If we doubled up from round 4-7 it would be great for next year, it would give us flexibility to move up and down the draft and keep our 2nd teir players in the roster loaded. 

1 minute ago, hornbybrown said:

I would rather keep them, I'm not sure any of them are going to get us a 3rd round comp pick, but most of them are better than what you tend to find in the middle rounds

It is a shame that tyrod had such a poor season and isnt going to get bottom of the nfl qb starter money, then you could bank on the 3rd. 

I tend to agree if you are looking at a 3rd the  it can be worth doing, and generating comp picks is probably a strategy you want to employ on e evry 3-4 years imo. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

If we were lucky maybe a 4th from Robinson or perriman, but probably 4ths-7ths

If we doubled up from round 4-7 it would be great for next year, it would give us flexibility to move up and down the draft and keep our 2nd teir players in the roster loaded. 

No way we are getting 4th rd Comps for those guys. Be lucky to get 6th. Also Chance they don’t get comp. picks for them. Would assume their would be 32 FAs better than those guys. NFL only gives our 32 comp. picks

Yeah, I think this is a year we sign everyone worth re-signing, as well as some free agents, maybe a big fish if he fits what Dorsey wants. We have a million big free agents up in 2021, not much until then. I could see us not thinking much about compensatory picked until then, as they would pretty much all be 5th-7th rounders.

Keep the guys that help us be a better team.  If they're helpful players, they are worth more than the odds of a future late round pick being of any use. 

Robinson, Perriman, and Higgy are the ones I'd most like to stick around.  If we fill the gaps with other signings that are better than losses like Coley, I'm fine letting guys like that test the market. 

I’m pretty sure it’s a net gain/loss so if we let all of those guys walk we’d likely get a pick or two.

That said, I’ll pass on the comp picks right now.  We’ve got plenty of cap space, there’s no need to let anyone walk. Or to not sign some free agents in addition to them. 

There will come a time when comp picks will need to be a part of our FA plan, but that times isn’t here yet imo.

I’m all for using this strategy if we get some promising rookies/2nd year guys to play at or above the guys we let walk. So for example, if Corbett somehow was playing so well that we let Robinson go, then do it.

However, with our current cap space and still 2-3 years away from the expiration of our current rookie contracts like Myles, Peppers, Baker, Ward, etc (especially since we could create space to resign them by cutting Collins/Kirksey and some others like them...thank you DePo!!!), I’d lean towards signing them to up front deals with walk away options after year(s) 1-2.

Obviously we cant resign everyone, but Robinson and Perriman won’t command much and have earned the right to come back for at least 2019, if not beyond.

Honestly, one of Hunt/Chubb I’d about guarantee  end up netting us a nice compensation pick in 2-3 years. 

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not exactly sure how to they determine which players get which comp picks but I don’t see anyone on that list who would get more than a 6th. MAYBE Higgins could get us a 5th. 

Yeah they don’t reward teams for letting below avg to bad players walk and not resign anyone

taylor gaberial went 67 catches 688yards and 2 TDs and is going to get the Falcons a 6th. So I couldn’t see Higgins having that much better of a season with a new team. He would be worth a 6th rd pick. Browns ain’t finding a WR in the 6th rd better than Higgins

30 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah they don’t reward teams for letting below avg to bad players walk and not resign anyone

taylor gaberial went 67 catches 688yards and 2 TDs and is going to get the Falcons a 6th. So I couldn’t see Higgins having that much better of a season with a new team. He would be worth a 6th rd pick. Browns ain’t finding a WR in the 6th rd better than Higgins

The comp pick formula is based on the FA's salary, playing time, and strangely enough, postseason honors.  Years of past data have suggested that the biggest predictor is the size of their contract, not their performance on the field.

In terms of the thread topic, if we can let a guy walk without creating a void, then fine.  Otherwise, comp picks should be WAY down the list of priorities when making FA decisions.

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

The comp pick formula is based on the FA's salary, playing time, and strangely enough, postseason honors.  Years of past data have suggested that the biggest predictor is the size of their contract, not their performance on the field.

In terms of the thread topic, if we can let a guy walk without creating a void, then fine.  Otherwise, comp picks should be WAY down the list of priorities when making FA decisions.

Exactly. If you are ranking or rebuilding. Going after comp picks is some what smart. 

What the browns are in, is not the time to seek comp. picks. The browns got loaded with comp picks a few years ago cause legit starters like Schwartz Gipson and Mack all walked. 

Archived