Football Lingo(calling for help)

TheeRealDeal

I have completely revamped my verbiage for my offense this year with several goals in mind. Ultimately it so the kids think less and play faster Within that goal I also wanted the calls shorter, words that told multiple groups what to do on a play, something easy to signal, rephrasing concept names to something football coaches wouldn't be tipped off and lastly keep all words to one syllable if possible.

I have accomplished 90% of more of those task and conditioned myself to remember every play in its new verbiage. Right now I am stuck one a few things one of which I am calling on the help of ya'll who are smarter than me especially with the English language. I have numerous different ways to differentiate between right and left:

Right - Left

Rip - Liz

Roll - Loop

Rodeo - Lasso

The underlined is what I am trying to replace as they are 3 and 2 syllables respectively. The rules for me would be they have to start with R and L, they must be similar in some way such as Rodeo/Lasso or perfect opposites like Right/Left so kids can associate better, and lastly they CANNOT rhyme in anyway or it creates the built in excuse of "well I thought I heard".

I have Ray - Lee but I have no idea how I would signal either.

Other examples I have used in the past are Ringo - Lucky,  Rock - Lava and Razor - Lasor(disaster).

Fire away.... and thanks

We do rip and liz as our motion plays with a receiver crossing the formation out of ace. That's cool that you guys do it too.

Words with signal ideas:
Rub - rubbing hands together
Leg - Pointing to or hitting leg
Read - Opening a book motion (closed hands to open)
Lap - (tap both thighs)
Rib - tap chest
Lip - touch mouth
Rock - (rock/paper/scissors "rock" motion)

Raid/ Loot (holding out a sword vs slinging a bag over your back)

Rake/ Leaf ( Raking motion vs a falling back and forth motion ie falling leaf)

Lung/Rib (heavily emphasized breathing motion vs rubbing ribs)

Raise/lift (lifting symbol, but specific to the hand)

Ruff/Loon (Both water birds. Flap right arm vs flap left arm)

Lark/Rook (Same as above except these are land birds, just your preference of what you choose)

Bout all I got to fit your conditions.

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

For lucky I’d do rolling dice and lasso I’d do a fake lasso rope over my head.

Already had those signals for those calls. Replaced Lucky several years ago or actually dropped what we used it for on defense completely. I am trying to eliminate words with more than 1 syllable especially anything with more than 2.

8 hours ago, Here'sJim said:

Raid/ Loot (holding out a sword vs slinging a bag over your back)

Rake/ Leaf ( Raking motion vs a falling back and forth motion ie falling leaf)

Lung/Rib (heavily emphasized breathing motion vs rubbing ribs)

Raise/lift (lifting symbol, but specific to the hand)

Ruff/Loon (Both water birds. Flap right arm vs flap left arm)

Lark/Rook (Same as above except these are land birds, just your preference of what you choose)

Bout all I got to fit your conditions.

This might be winner winner chicken dinner. One syllable and it actually fits in with a theme I am going for with a certain package of plans. I may have to shuffle a couple things around but it gives me enough calls to make it work. Thanks man.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We also do rip/Liz and for rip it’s like you’re starting a lawnmower. Liz I can’t remember.

Rip just "rip" a piece of paper to your left(so they see it right) and for Liz you "rip" it on your right.

Archived