How many miserable seasons are you willing to have in exchange of one SB win?

William Lee

12 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

A lot apparently.  The Browns still have fans, and the same was true of the Saints before 09.  No shortage of fans despite miserable season after miserable season.  

The one counter I'd have to this, is bad teams typically maintain their fanbase through hope. Fans can stick by bad teams because they believe or hope that they won't be bad teams soon. Gets tougher if you don't have that. Browns fans were optimistic because they had Tim Couch at QB, then they got a great coach in Romeo Crennell, and then the offense with Anderson/Lewis/Edwards looked dynamic, then you had Brady Quinn, etc. So while they've sucked that whole time because none of it panned out, they had reasons for optimism at the time.

If this was something where, hypothetically, maybe you mortgage like a decade worth of draft picks to win a superbowl next year. If you know you're going to suck for a decade afterwards (can't resign the people, no new draft talent coming in, hard to get a head coach or GM with no draft picks, etc.) I could absolutely see fans falling off.

Win the SB first and then go through miserable seasons? Probably whatever it takes, but knowing they will be miserable seasons in advance I'll just start rooting for multiple teams like others do.

Not really though, I'll pass on the offer and take my chances. I don't want the other teams in my division to have that advantage for however many years it would be. Even though the Browns have been a free couple wins per season and not a challenge to win the division for the AFCN foes I believe this time it may really be changing for the better.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

The one counter I'd have to this, is bad teams typically maintain their fanbase through hope. Fans can stick by bad teams because they believe or hope that they won't be bad teams soon. Gets tougher if you don't have that. Browns fans were optimistic because they had Tim Couch at QB, then they got a great coach in Romeo Crennell, and then the offense with Anderson/Lewis/Edwards looked dynamic, then you had Brady Quinn, etc. So while they've sucked that whole time because none of it panned out, they had reasons for optimism at the time.

If this was something where, hypothetically, maybe you mortgage like a decade worth of draft picks to win a superbowl next year. If you know you're going to suck for a decade afterwards (can't resign the people, no new draft talent coming in, hard to get a head coach or GM with no draft picks, etc.) I could absolutely see fans falling off.

If we're talking absolute knowledge of the future, I can see people losing interest.  If there's even a little hope though, there will still be fans IMO.  I'd watch regardless, because I enjoy the smaller moments like the perfect two minute drive, or a hard fought win in a meaningless late season game.

I'm all for selling out the future for the present though, if you have a window.

For the Tampa Bay Bucs they basically sold their souls as in 16 years since their title year they have had four winning seasons two playoff appearances and no wins and just hired their fifth coach in the last decade. Also, same could probably be said for Jets and Chiefs winning the last two before the merger.

It's been 52 already.  That should be worth almost 2 SB wins, based on numbers alone.  We recently had 5 years of playoffs with no wins, so how much more suffering am I really signing up for to get ONE?

If they won one, I could ignore the NFL for the rest of my life and still remember the last game I watched resulted in them hoisting the Lombardi.

Archived