TheVillain112 Mock Draft v1.0...

TheVillain112

1 hour ago, otg said:

I'm historically a fan of having strength in the trenches. However Villain has made an argument that there is a statistical trend of elite players in the secondary contribute more to success that elite defensive tackles (not that I'm arguing for a defensive back here).

If you remember were these articles are I'd love to see them.

Bill Belichick is really doing a number on my thinking that pass rush is what's most vital to a defense.  Now there's reports that the Patriots won't franchise tag Trey Flowers.  THIS IS MADNESS!

I'm still of the mindset that building through the trenches is the way to go (Offense and Defense).  But if we take a player like Byron Murphy at #11 overall, I won't be mad.

Hell with the needs this team has, there's very few players that I would actually be upset about taking at #11 overall...

36 minutes ago, otg said:

I'm historically a fan of having strength in the trenches. However Villain has made an argument that there is a statistical trend of elite players in the secondary contribute more to success that elite defensive tackles (not that I'm arguing for a defensive back here).

If you remember were these articles are I'd love to see them.

But how many teams have 2 elite pass rushing DTs, and good DEs? Imagine Atkins, Oliver, Dunlap and Lawson on the field at the same time. 

52 minutes ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

But how many teams have 2 elite pass rushing DTs, and good DEs? Imagine Atkins, Oliver, Dunlap and Lawson on the field at the same time. 

Oh I'm not against the idea. Just considering options. Like I said I'm a trenches guy.

1 hour ago, otg said:

Oh I'm not against the idea. Just considering options. Like I said I'm a trenches guy.

You're probably the only poster i know that has more likes than posts.

Anyway, i'm still a trenches guy too.  Despite the Patriots formula, they still seem to win in the trenches a lot.  They also have an uncanny ability to smother other teams weapons no matter who their personnel is, which no one else seems to be able to replicate.  So i'm not sure that chasing their success is the best formula anyway.

37 minutes ago, theJ said:

You're probably the only poster i know that has more likes than posts.

Anyway, i'm still a trenches guy too.  Despite the Patriots formula, they still seem to win in the trenches a lot.  They also have an uncanny ability to smother other teams weapons no matter who their personnel is, which no one else seems to be able to replicate.  So i'm not sure that chasing their success is the best formula anyway.

In the post season the refs allow a lot more holding/grabbing of WRs.  In the regular season the Patriots defense didn't look 'elite' and then all of a sudden their defense in the playoffs looked like the best in the NFL...

• 1 month later...

My first attempt at a Fanspeak mock draft

11: R1P11
QB DWAYNE HASKINS
OHIO ST.
42: R2P10
G CHRIS LINDSTROM
BOSTON COLLEGE
72: R3P8
LB GERMAINE PRATT
NORTH CAROLINA ST.
110: R4P8
EDGE JORDAN BRAILFORD
OKLAHOMA ST.
149: R5P11
TE FOSTER MOREAU
L.S.U.
183: R6P10
WR GARY JENNINGS, JR.
WEST VIRGINIA
198: R6P25
DL BYRON COWART
MARYLAND
210: R6P37
OT MARTEZ IVEY
FLORIDA
211: R6P38
K COLE TRACY
L.S.U.
213: R6P40
RB WES HILLS
SLIPPERY ROCK
223: R7P9
LB BEN BURR-KIRVEN
WASHINGTON

On 3/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, INbengalfan said:

Not bad.  Do you ever feel like when you go DL in the first, that you are chasing needs the rest of the way?  I can get behind a lot of this

I wouldn't say the rest of the way, but definitely prioritized LB.  We're in such bad shape currently at LB that even with a LB in the first, we still need to draft more (before the 5th).

I really hope we trade for Darron Lee prior to the draft...

Archived