2019 Pre-Combine Vikings Forum Big Board

swede700

It's 2019, so what's old is what's new again! (Not an intentional dig against VD, as I respect my elders). 

With the Combine beginning in 8 days, we're going to compile a Vikings' Forum composite Big Board.  We've been fairly successful in the past with our predictions, as we quite often had the Vikings' first round pick in our top 15...and on occasion at #1 when we last had a string of doing it (which may be several years ago now).     Here's how it works:

• Please list your Top 15 Big Board for the Vikings.
  • You might want to consider which players could potentially be there at #18, but I'll leave that up to you to determine, as it will work itself out in the end either way. (I often did not include those that had no chance to be there at the Vikings' pick, but we did include Teddy one year and he happened to fall) 
  • You can use the following template if you choose to do so, but it's not required. 

eg. 1. Ed Oliver, Houston (DT)
 2. Chris Lindstrom, BC (iOL) 

NOTE:  I will not compile the big board until the morning of 2/26, so feel free to alter your big board until 9 AM Central time on 2/26.  

Vikings Forum's Composite Big Board 

1. Devin White, LSU (LB)
 2. Ed Oliver, Houston (DT)
 3. Jonah Williams, Alabama (OT)
 4. Cody Ford, Oklahoma (iOL)
 5. Jawaan Taylor, Florida (OT)
 6. TJ Hockenson, Iowa (TE)
 7. Dexter Lawrence, Clemson (DT)
 8. Christian Wilkins, Clemson (DT)
 9. Dalton Risner, Kansas St (OT)
 10.Devin Bush, Michigan (LB)
 11.Andre Dillard, Washington St (OT)
 12.Greedy Williams, LSU (CB)
 13.Greg Little, Mississippi (OT)
 14.Charles Omenihu, Texas (DT)
 15.Chris Lindstrom, Boston College (iOL)

Honorable Mention: Noah Fant (TE), Garrett Bradbury (C), Rashan Gary (DE)

swede700's Big Board

1.   T.J. Hockenson, Iowa (TE)
 2.  Jawaan Taylor, Florida (OT)
 3.  Ed Oliver, Houston (DT)
 4.  Cody Ford, Oklahoma (OT)
 5.  Chris Lindstrom, BC (iOL)
 6.  Christian Wilkins, Clemson (DT)
 7. Devin Bush, Michigan (LB)
 8.  Jeffery Simmons, Mississippi St (DT)
 9.  Garrett Bradbury, NC State (iOL)
 10. Dalton Risner, Kansas St (OL)
 11. Noah Fant, Iowa (TE)
 12. Greg Little, Mississippi (OT)
 13. Drew Lock, Missouri (QB)
 14. Greedy Williams, LSU (CB)
 15. Montez Sweat, Mississippi St (DE)

Big Board:

1. Cody Ford, Oklahoma, T

2. TJ Hockenson, Iowa, TE

3. Andre Dillard, Wash St, T

4. Jawaan Taylor, Florida, T

5. Brian Burns, Florida St, Edge

6. Charles Omenhiu, Texas, Edge

7. Christen Wilkins, Clemson, DT

8. Dalton Risner, Kansas St, T

9. Devin Bush, Michigan, LB

10. Greg Little, Miss, T

11. Marquise Brown, Oklahoma, WR

12. Noah Fant, Iowa, TE

13. Chris Lindstrom, BC, G

14. Garrett Bradberry, NC ST, G

15. Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame, DT

To be honest.... I still don’t like pick 18 unless some players fall that I really like.

Big Board:

I'm going with those who might be available at pick #18.

1. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

2.Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan

3. Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson

4. Jawan Taylor, OT, Florida

5. Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma

6. DK Metcalf, WR, Ole  Miss

7. Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

8. Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State

9. Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson

10. Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

11. AJ Brown, WR, Ole Miss

12. Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

13. Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State

14. Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

15. Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm curious as to why he is so high on your board. He's a true NT, are you drafting for future need here in Joseph's replacement?

Just in terms of value he is the best option over any of the other players in my opinion. While position might not be the biggest need in terms of the type of DT we need, his value is.

1 - LB - Devin White - LSU

2 - CB - Greedy Williams - LSU

3 - DT - Ed Oliver - Houston

4 - OT - Cody Ford - Oklahoma

5 - OT - Juwaan Taylor - Florida

6 - DT - Christian Wilkins - Clemson

7 - OL - Dalton Risner - Kansas St

8 - TE - TJ Hockenson - Iowa

9 - OL - Greg Little - Ole Miss

10 - WR - Marquise Brown - Oklahoma

11 - OL - Garrett Bradbury - NC St

12 - OL - Chris Lindstrom - BC

13 - TE - Noah Fant -- Iowa

14 - WR - Riley Ridley - Georgia

15 - LB - Mack Wilson - Alabama

The only way I want us to stay at 18 is if Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard are there.  If they are both off the board then we should trade back.  Also I don't want anything at all to do with Jawan Taylor; he's an overrated athlete that gets a ton of false starts.  I'd much rather have a disciplined technician at OL instead of an athlete with potential.

11 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

The only way I want us to stay at 18 is if Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard are there.  If they are both off the board then we should trade back.  Also I don't want anything at all to do with Jawan Taylor; he's an overrated athlete that gets a ton of false starts.  I'd much rather have a disciplined technician at OL instead of an athlete with potential.

Disciplined technicians haven't worked out for the Vikings all that well.  They need nasty tough and athletic guys. I'm not high on Williams at all, which is part of the reason I left him completely off my board.  I also left Dillard off my board as the Vikings haven't typically done well with Pac-12 OL either and I'm not sure he's all that much of a fit either in his demeanor.  Furthermore, I don't want another guy that's going to lose practice time at the beginning of the process because of when the Pac-12 academic year ends (I don't know if that applies to him being a 5th year senior, but still, I'm going to be conservative and assume it does).  

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Disciplined technicians haven't worked out for the Vikings all that well.  They need nasty tough and athletic guys. I'm not high on Williams at all, which is part of the reason I left him completely off my board.  I also left Dillard off my board as the Vikings haven't typically done well with Pac-12 OL either and I'm not sure he's all that much of a fit either in his demeanor.  Furthermore, I don't want another guy that's going to lose practice time at the beginning of the process because of when the Pac-12 academic year ends (I don't know if that applies to him being a 5th year senior, but still, I'm going to be conservative and assume it does).  

Idk why you would leave Jonah Williams completely off your board.  That doesn’t make any sense to me.  IMO He is going to end up somewhere Jake Matthews and Zack Martin as a prospect.  Jawaan Taylor on the other hand I see ending up somewhere between an Andre Smith or Ryan Cook.

11 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Idk why you would leave Jonah Williams completely off your board.  That doesn’t make any sense to me.  IMO He is going to end up somewhere Jake Matthews and Zack Martin as a prospect.  Jawaan Taylor on the other hand I see ending up somewhere between an Andre Smith or Ryan Cook.

I don't like any of those comparisons you have made.  I don't believe any of them are accurate, especially the ones on Taylor, considering that Taylor has light-years higher of a football IQ than either Smith or Cook (which is an absolutely awful comparison, considering Cook wasn't even a tackle in college, he was a guy the Vikings tried to force to play tackle) and Taylor is far more athletic than Andre Smith ever was.  

Jonah Williams just doesn't impress me enough from a run-blocking standpoint on either a physical or technical standpoint to be a good fit for the Vikings.  He's more suited to pass-first offense...and he's kind of a tweener to me.  He may be a Remmers-like guy (will obviously be much better than him though) in that he's physically probably more suited to play inside, but all of his experience has been outside. 

To me, Taylor is a much better fit for what the Vikings are going to do than Williams is.    

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

@swede700 do you see Taylor as the LToF or would you have him move inside to LG/RG?

If I remember correctly I think you and I agree on not moving O'Neill to the left side.

That where I have a tougher call.  I do agree in that I would prefer not to move O'Neill to the left side, but if the Vikings were to draft Taylor,  that is a situation where I would consider doing so, because Taylor is physically far more suited to play RT than LT and O'Neill does have experience playing on the left.  

In the end though I don't really don't anticipate that Taylor will be there, since he has such a huge upside, but if he is, I'm personally jumping at the chance.

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't like any of those comparisons you have made.  I don't believe any of them are accurate, especially the ones on Taylor, considering that Taylor has light-years higher of a football IQ than either Smith or Cook (which is an absolutely awful comparison, considering Cook wasn't even a tackle in college, he was a guy the Vikings tried to force to play tackle) and Taylor is far more athletic than Andre Smith ever was.  

Jonah Williams just doesn't impress me enough from a run-blocking standpoint on either a physical or technical standpoint to be a good fit for the Vikings.  He's more suited to pass-first offense...and he's kind of a tweener to me.  He may be a Remmers-like guy (will obviously be much better than him though) in that he's physically probably more suited to play inside, but all of his experience has been outside. 

To me, Taylor is a much better fit for what the Vikings are going to do than Williams is.    

From everything that I’ve seen on Jonah Williams he is a very good run blocker.  My player comps on Taylor aren’t perfect, but I pick Ryan Cook because Taylor is a highly penalized player and I picked Andre Smith because Taylor struggles to keep his weight down and can get lazy with that.  I think Taylor is all potential and upside and that will probably get him drafted higher, but Jonah Williams is as close to a sure thing as you can find in this draft.

I can’t stand Alabama either so I don’t like defending players from that school any more than I have to lol.

This would be my Vikings big board, only including players that might be there at 18 and beyond.  Hard to do though because really most of these guys will be gone but who knows some talk of Lawrence falling because of the PED stuff for whatever reason or lack of teams needing a big NT/DT.  Then Gary who knows if people will be turned off by his sub par play this past year or Jeffrey Simmons with the injury could be around and would be worth a look.  Greg Little people are not respecting him enough, the kid can pass protect big time and is great as a pass protector which is what we need.  Harry I would not mind as a big physical WR but is a long shot I know.  Ferguson I would not mind as a DE but would be a little reach at 18, same with Omenihu.  And Love is just a fine football player and could maybe even convert to safety like Malcolm Jenkins did a few years back as a corner coming out of Ohio State.  

1 Dexter Lawrence Clemson DT JR
2 Rashan Gary Michigan DE JR
3 Dalton Risner Kansas State OT/OG SR
4 Christian Wilkins Clemson DT SR
5 Clelin Ferrell Clemson DE RS JR 
6 Jawaan Taylor Florida OT JR 
7 Jonah Williams Alabama OT JR

8 Jeffery Simmons Miss State DT JR
9 Zach Allen Boston College DE SR
10 Greg Little Ole Miss OT JR  

11 Noah Fant Iowa TE JR 
12 N'Keal Harry Arizona State WR JR
13 Jaylon Ferguson La Tech DE SR
14 Julian Love Notre Dame CB JR
15 Charles Omenihu Texas DE SR

Still ultimately the guy in all of it would be Dalton Risner as the ideal pick for the Vikings I feel.  I think he could be a great guard and if not could be a fine RT as well, has a good combo of power and athletic ability, a little nasty aggressive as a blocker as well which is awesome.  Did not include Bosa, Oliver, Quinnen Williams, Devin White or Josh Allen because I feel they just simply will not be there and no chance of it.  Also Devin Bush is ok but honestly I am not sure he is that much better than Kendricks and I am not a huge Kendricks fan especially with his play of late.

The ideal would be to get a player like Omenihu, Sweat, Tillery or Ferguson in the 2nd round if a fine DL falls after we draft a OL in the first.  Then again the likelihood of a player like Joe Jackson or Gerald Willis III being there in that 2nd round pick is pretty high unlike those other guys so would not mind that either but they are not on the same level of player as those other guys.  

Archived