Jump to content
iPwn

2018 Starting Quarterback

Recommended Posts

I figure this will be a huge topic of discussion for the future, so why not get it going now?

Currently on the team

  • Blake Bortles - Has an $19M injury protected team option
  • Chad Henne - Is scheduled to be a Free Agent
  • Brandon Allen - on the team through 2019 on rookie deal

Potential Free Agents

  • Drew Brees
  • Kirk Cousins
  • Sam Bradford
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Jay Cutler
  • Josh McCown
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Teddy Bridgewater
  • Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Tom Savage
  • Colin Kaepernick

Potential trade prospects

  • Alex Smith - May be succeeded by Mahomes
  • Tyrod Taylor - Bills may choose to move forward with a rookie and she’d Taylor’s contract
  • Brett Hundley - Blocked by Rodgers
  • AJ McCarron - Jags have inquired
  • Brock Osweiller
  • Cody Kessler

Draft eligible

  • Sam Darnold
  • Josh Allen
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Josh Rosen
  • Nick Fitzgerald
  • Chase Litton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, i think it's gotta come from the draft.

I just can't imagine that after 2017 shaping up to be another writeoff season, i'd be thrilled with a mediocre at best 1-2 year bandaid/stopgap veteran like a lot of those options would be.  I know some fans are itching to just start making progress toward something, but after all these years of protracted "scorched earth" rebuild...it would be a bit sickening to see them ultimately just trying to patch something together for the short-term via Free Agency/Trade.

 

I mean Stafford might be more than that, but i doubt he hits the market and i doubt he'd come here anyway.  Brees too, but if he's playing i can't imagine it's anywhere other than New Orleans.

Garoppolo seems overrated to me and is going to be given a stupid Brock Osweiler type deal for a completely unproven player.  Don't really want any part of that, and given the "hype" around him...he'll probably have plenty of other more attractive suitors to choose from instead anyway.

I still kinda believe in Teddy Bridgewater and he has the potential to still be a serviceable longer-term option...but still unproven, probably gunning for a bunch of money, and i really don't know how the health/injury stuff is going to pan out for him.  Not sure there's a ton of upside to that though.

 

Really...just draft a QB.  And pick a good one this time imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

And pick a good one this time imo.

With a competent staff to properly develop them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, iPwn said:

With a competent staff to properly develop them...

That's also fairly important.  It would be ideal to not ruin whatever good QB prospect they get, for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just really hope this isn’t the staff that gets to start molding our next QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I just really hope this isn’t the staff that gets to start molding our next QB.

Same.  Sorta depends on how high up that staff purge goes though.

The biggest worry for me, would be that a top-to-bottom new staff (other than presumably Coughlin stays?) may come in and look at this team and decide that there are too many holes still.  That they don't want to immediately hitch their future to a QB who would be coming into this mess of a franchise right away.  Like Caldwell and Co. when they came in and took a knee by keeping Gabbert.  That would suck a lot.  I don't want to wait through the start of another rebuild all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Same.  Sorta depends on how high up that staff purge goes though.

The biggest worry for me, would be that a top-to-bottom new staff (other than presumably Coughlin stays?) may come in and look at this team and decide that there are too many holes still.  That they don't want to immediately hitch their future to a QB who would be coming into this mess of a franchise right away.  Like Caldwell and Co. when they came in and took a knee by keeping Gabbert.  That would suck a lot.  I don't want to wait through the start of another rebuild all over again.

All of this might be why the stopgap or Free Agent gets brought in. Someone like Alex Smith is kinda the perfect guy to hold formation for two years, make us somewhat competitive, while we fill in whatever holes the team still has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iPwn said:

All of this might be why the stopgap or Free Agent gets brought in. Someone like Alex Smith is kinda the perfect guy to hold formation for two years, make us somewhat competitive, while we fill in whatever holes the team still has. 

It's possible i guess.  I just don't really see the Chiefs ready to give up their starting QB right now.  So maybe it's something you visit next year...but is Alex Smith really going to satisfy after yet another punted season for the Jaguars because they don't have a starting QB on the roster?

It's where i could kinda get behind a Bridgewater option or something more like that.  Let him putter around for a year or two and see if there's anything there.  But i'd still rather just get on with things.  I'm tired of this team being bad, with bad QB play and only the briefest flickers of hope for the future.  May be counterproductive if it is these clowns trying to "develop" the next guy for some asinine reason...but i just want to see some good QB play before i die of old age over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I just don't really see the Chiefs ready to give up their starting QB right now.  So maybe it's something you visit next year...but is Alex Smith really going to satisfy after yet another punted season for the Jaguars because they don't have a starting QB on the roster?

Well this topic is for 2018, so by then Mahomes might be their #1.

 

And no, you want to see them invest in a rookie and get the right guy rather than going with a stopgap. But if a new staff comes in and wants to fix that massive list of needs still out there, there’s really not a better option than Alex Smith to hold the fort, bring stability to the position, and give you a real opportunity to learn what you have in the other pieces on the offense before you invest in the QB. He even offers a situation where if you draft someone with development needs like Bortles this next time, the rookie can go spend a year or two just learning the game, refining mechanics, learning NFL progressions and so on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just like to say Hundley looked good. Wonder what itd take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Well this topic is for 2018, so by then Mahomes might be their #1.

 

And no, you want to see them invest in a rookie and get the right guy rather than going with a stopgap. But if a new staff comes in and wants to fix that massive list of needs still out there, there’s really not a better option than Alex Smith to hold the fort, bring stability to the position, and give you a real opportunity to learn what you have in the other pieces on the offense before you invest in the QB. He even offers a situation where if you draft someone with development needs like Bortles this next time, the rookie can go spend a year or two just learning the game, refining mechanics, learning NFL progressions and so on. 

Depends what the price would be i guess.  Just hard to see myself getting excited about 2018 going, "heck yeah we're bringing in Alex Smith!  This is gonna be great!  Finally moving in the right direction".  But you're right...maybe it would be the sort of move that gives you a chance to better assess what you have around them and build a bit more of a quality OLine for a rookie to eventually step in behind.

I'm kinda over this whole, "needs to sit and develop" type QB these days though.  How many guys on their way to being anything have really needed to "sit and learn" for a significant period?  And actually fix the flaws and shortcomings in their game that need fixing?  Just seems like as more college scheme bleeds into the pros and teams become more willing to ease guys in with blended concepts...more often than not, the guys going places are ready to step in and learn on the job sooner rather than later.  Bumps in the road obviously expected, but the good ones generally seem to have an ability to grind through that stuff and rise to the occasion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 1:42 AM, Tugboat said:

Just hard to see myself getting excited about 2018 going, "heck yeah we're bringing in Alex Smith!  This is gonna be great!  Finally moving in the right direction".  But you're right...maybe it would be the sort of move that gives you a chance to better assess what you have around them and build a bit more of a quality OLine for a rookie to eventually step in behind.

Yeah, I’m not sure anyone is going to be overly excited about a 34 year old Alex Smith. But if it means not reaching on a QB, building up the rest of the team and giving a good QB a good surrounding cast to succeed, I’m not going to be upset.

I would prefer we find the long term answer this offseason. But if come draft time Jackson, Rosen and co. don’t look the part of franchise changer, I’d rather wait a year and get solid play out of an Alex Smith or other QB that can bring us stability than draft another guy who is going to have the career path of a Leftwich, Gabbert or Bortles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, I’m not sure anyone is going to be overly excited about a 34 year old Alex Smith. But if it means not reaching on a QB, building up the rest of the team and giving a good QB a good surrounding cast to succeed, I’m not going to be upset.

I would prefer we find the long term answer this offseason. But if come draft time Jackson, Rosen and co. don’t look the part of franchise changer, I’d rather wait a year and get solid play out of an Alex Smith or other QB that can bring us stability than draft another guy who is going to have the career path of a Leftwich, Gabbert or Bortles.

I'm with ya on that. I'd be kind of upset not getting a young guy to hopefully be our long term answer, but if there clearly isn't one/one that we like then this is the best route to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, I’m not sure anyone is going to be overly excited about a 34 year old Alex Smith. But if it means not reaching on a QB, building up the rest of the team and giving a good QB a good surrounding cast to succeed, I’m not going to be upset.

I would prefer we find the long term answer this offseason. But if come draft time Jackson, Rosen and co. don’t look the part of franchise changer, I’d rather wait a year and get solid play out of an Alex Smith or other QB that can bring us stability than draft another guy who is going to have the career path of a Leftwich, Gabbert or Bortles.

Yeah, fair enough i guess.  Just frustrating.  My patience has its limits.  Having just sat through a scorched earth rebuild that was supposed to do just that (build up the rest of the team, etc.).  The prospect of re-embarking on that journey is just...difficult.

Deep down, i know that may well be the fastest route to actually fixing this mess.  But waaaaah.  I don't wanna.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×