2018 Starting Quarterback

pwny

7 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

brady always seems to take less money then what he should. i think he might take a restructure out his deal as he has a 22 million cap hit. 

They can move some, but with his retirement looming, they really can’t afford to push those past due guarantees out further. They’ll all crash on the cap at once when he retires and that’s not good for the cap. And even if they do the same they’ve been doing, they’ll get about $8M from his restructure.

14 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

to me if the Pats were gonna let Grap walk they should have kept Brissett as a 3rd qb and traded grap out for a higher price then brissett.

This implies they wouldn’t be trying to sign him long term and are simply deciding between trade and Franchise tag.

9 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i dont know where you got this van noy salary gurantee but Sportac doesnt have a listed dead cap number for him

You have to look at the contract details for more information.

$5.5M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2018 salary)

9 minutes ago, iPwn said:

They can move some, but with his retirement looming, they really can’t afford to push those past due guarantees out further. They’ll all crash on the cap at once when he retires and that’s not good for the cap. And even if they do the same they’ve been doing, they’ll get about $8M from his restructure.

This implies they wouldn’t be trying to sign him long term and are simply deciding between trade and Franchise tag.

You have to look at the contract details for more information.

$5.5M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2018 salary)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/kyle-van-noy-14449/ 

theres no listed dead cap or that SB + 18 Salary gurateed listed there for gurantee. 

Personally if im the patriots i  tag and trade Grap for either a Proven DE/LB/CB or atleast a 2nd round pick plus a slightly lesser guy.  

question would be what would u trade for him.  i would consider maybe doing Fowler but i wouldnt trade guys like Jack, ramsey, bouye for him but i think maybe a 2nd and a Conditional 2nd to 1st based on play and Resigning. 

8 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

theres no listed dead cap or that SB + 18 Salary gurateed listed there for guarantee. 

Again, read the contract notes and you’ll see that the dead cap part isn’t filled out right. 

He has a signing bonus paid out of $1.166M every year. A signing bonus is money paid on the day the contract was signed that a team can prorate across the length of the contract. That money has already been paid. It just counts against the cap in future years to lessen the immediate cap burden of such signings. (This is why Albert would have owed the Jaguars money had he stayed retired). That goes into dead cap, it doesn’t disappear.

$1.166 across 3 years is 3.5 Guaranteed. The other 2Mill is his base salary in 2018. 

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Does any remember alex smith pre-Kaepernick?

bortles kinda feels like that. 

In what ways?

Alex Smith has always been kinda the complete antithesis of Bortles as far as i'm concerned.  They've been kinda trying to shoehorn Bortles into an Alex Smith-esque role this year, but it's still not really what he is as a quarterback.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

In what ways?

Alex Smith has always been kinda the complete antithesis of Bortles as far as i'm concerned.  They've been kinda trying to shoehorn Bortles into an Alex Smith-esque role this year, but it's still not really what he is as a quarterback.

I don't think you remember alex smith when he was a young player as he was pretty terrible. 

Look at the stats of alex smith before kaepernick and then look at bortles. 

Both struggled with accuracy(57.1%(i rounded up as it 57.06)) and ints(53 in 54 games) as well as fumbles(34). He did have 51 tds but those stats combined say he was replaceable. His record was 19-34 which isnt as bad as bortles and im not sure of all the talent they had(im sure they had Gore-Vernon davis).

Bortles prior to this past game 58.6% 77tds 56ints  32 fumbles with a record of 14-37. 

I just happened to remember how awful alex smith was before getting Harbough. 

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

So your argument is that they’re both bad? That’s the discussion? Because Alex Smith’s playstyle was nothing like Blake’s, ever.

What im saying is the 49ers fans wanted alex Smith replaced cuz he was being a ? qb. It wasnt until he got with Harbough he became the game manager he is

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

What im saying is the 49ers fans wanted alex Smith replaced cuz he was being a ? qb. It wasnt until he got with Harbough he became the game manager he is

And this applies to Blake, how?

12 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Cuz aslong as Caldwell is our gm im not sure we move on from blake. You cant honestly look at the qb options and say these fa or draft guys are better then blake outside cousins and brees. 

Bradford isnt cuz he cant even stay healthy.  

Again, I’m failing to see the connection here. We’re going to stick with Blake, and he is going to become good because Alex Smith was bad for different reasons and became good with a great coach?

7 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I don't think you remember alex smith when he was a young player as he was pretty terrible. 

I don't think you remember Alex Smith when he was a young player

he was terrible, but not in the same way as Bortles. Box score scouting doesn't tell the whole story. 

And I don't know what you're implying. Is it that we're going to hire someone who is gonna come in and fix Bortles? Because that clearly isn't going to happen, seeing as much of the team seems to be ready to win now, and we're not going to see coaching turnover leading to a Harbaugh coming in and fixing Bortles. This team isn't the dumpster fire that San Fran was for most of Smith's career. This is a team that can contend with a legit QB, and therefore is going to try to find a legit QB, as there isn't one on the roster.

Unless you want to give Bortles another 4 years to develop, because it took Smith like 8 years and as many OCs to get him where he was in 2011. 

32 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Cuz aslong as Caldwell is our gm im not sure we move on from blake. You cant honestly look at the qb options and say these fa or draft guys are better then blake outside cousins and brees. 

Bradford isnt cuz he cant even stay healthy.  

Caldwell isnt the one running the show. Only way Blake is our QB next year is if he goes on a run of solid play and the vet QB option isnt feasible. The only reason we have as many losses as we do is mainly from below average QB play.

If we want to go the route of KC and draft a QB in first couple rounds but want a little bit of competition and cant get a vet ala Alex Smith/Drew Brees, ok, its at least possible. But no way is it likely with what we've seen so far.

Archived