2018 Starting Quarterback

pwny

48 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Lamar has progressed a lot as a passer and is probably the best QB option in the draft.

Even if you believe all those things about Allen are true, there is still a strong chance that he goes in the first round. He could fall, but I don't find that likely at this moment.

i believe theres no true Great Franchise Qbs in this class ala 2010 when the headliner was the Great Gabbert. some solid Starter Options but none of the top 10 passers.  to me rosen is probably the best QB in this class. 

i dont think Investing Say our 1st 2 Picks in this Draft for 2 Qbs is a Smart Business Decision. 

Sign say bradford/bridgewater and then draft Baker mayfield in round 3-5.   Bakers the QB the jags pretty much want based off the tape.  

On 10/2/2017 at 12:21 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

Trade for Alex Smith.

Draft Lamar Jackson.

Putting aside my feelings on Lamar Jackson specifically for the moment, the problem i see with this strategy is that it's pretty much guaranteed to use up all of your premium draft capital.  You're going to be spending a 1st on Jackson.  And probably at least a 2nd to bring in Alex Smith.

That'd patch up the QB situation nicely and you're hopefully setting the position up for a lot of years in the future...but you're left with nothing to really bolster the rest of the team via the draft.  At least, not in terms of guys you'd expect to be day 1 starters.  You've got maybe one 3rd round pick to bolster everything else.  And you're getting zero utility out of that incredibly valuable 1st round draft choice for at least a year.  And zero utility out of that valuable 2nd round pick beyond 2018 season.  That's a huge amount of wasted equity imo.  Good teams don't tend to waste like that.

The other aspect of that, is that if i'm spending that likely 2nd round pick on Alex Smith to stabilize the QB situation...i want to be getting more than a one and done value out of the guy.  I'm hoping for at least a couple years out of a guy if i'm spending that value.  At which point, how long do you even want to sit a prospect QB you've used a 1st rounder on?  Honestly, i don't have a lot of faith in the benefit of "sitting" a top pick QB in this day and age in the first place.  The good ones tend to do just fine learning on the job, with systems put in place to help them transition.  But certainly not sitting them for more than 1 year.  Every year you sit a 1st round QB now, is essentially just squandering a year of rookie deal value play and pushing you toward that cap-ruining megadeal with one less year of play to judge on.

I'd rather they just do one or the other.  Get an Alex Smith and maybe spend a later pick on a project QB with some upside.  Or spend the big money pick on a premium QB prospect with franchise potential, and explore "cheaper" options for a veteran counterpart/backup.  Not both.

26 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i believe theres no true Great Franchise Qbs in this class ala 2010 when the headliner was the Great Gabbert. some solid Starter Options but none of the top 10 passers.  to me rosen is probably the best QB in this class. 

i dont think Investing Say our 1st 2 Picks in this Draft for 2 Qbs is a Smart Business Decision. 

Sign say bradford/bridgewater and then draft Baker mayfield in round 3-5.   Bakers the QB the jags pretty much want based off the tape.  

Huh? 2010 was Bradford. Gabbert was in the 2011 class and the headliner was/is Newton.

20 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Meant 2011.  The media's favorite qb in the class was gabbert.

Early on, yeah. He was far from the headliner by season's end. If anything, it was split at season's end. Then by the draft, it was by far Newton.

Regardless, who cares about who the media favors?

44 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Putting aside my feelings on Lamar Jackson specifically for the moment, the problem i see with this strategy is that it's pretty much guaranteed to use up all of your premium draft capital.  You're going to be spending a 1st on Jackson.  And probably at least a 2nd to bring in Alex Smith.

That'd patch up the QB situation nicely and you're hopefully setting the position up for a lot of years in the future...but you're left with nothing to really bolster the rest of the team via the draft.  At least, not in terms of guys you'd expect to be day 1 starters.  You've got maybe one 3rd round pick to bolster everything else.  And you're getting zero utility out of that incredibly valuable 1st round draft choice for at least a year.  And zero utility out of that valuable 2nd round pick beyond 2018 season.  That's a huge amount of wasted equity imo.  Good teams don't tend to waste like that.

The other aspect of that, is that if i'm spending that likely 2nd round pick on Alex Smith to stabilize the QB situation...i want to be getting more than a one and done value out of the guy.  I'm hoping for at least a couple years out of a guy if i'm spending that value.  At which point, how long do you even want to sit a prospect QB you've used a 1st rounder on?  Honestly, i don't have a lot of faith in the benefit of "sitting" a top pick QB in this day and age in the first place.  The good ones tend to do just fine learning on the job, with systems put in place to help them transition.  But certainly not sitting them for more than 1 year.  Every year you sit a 1st round QB now, is essentially just squandering a year of rookie deal value play and pushing you toward that cap-ruining megadeal with one less year of play to judge on.

I'd rather they just do one or the other.  Get an Alex Smith and maybe spend a later pick on a project QB with some upside.  Or spend the big money pick on a premium QB prospect with franchise potential, and explore "cheaper" options for a veteran counterpart/backup.  Not both.

i brought that up in my post. 

i dont think we need to spend that much Draft Capital on 1 position especially with 2 picks your likely to get a good starter from.  

if it was up 2 me id go for Cousins or Bridgewater in FA. draft a guy mid round to develop. 

We’ve spent 3 picks on a QB in the last 14 years (Gabbert, Bortles and Brandon Allen).

if we have to give up a 2nd round pick for a QB that has proven to be a pretty solid QB in this league and then take our future QB with our 1st round pick, we are really going to be mad? 

The QB position is holding this team back and everybody knows it. 

If we did acquire Alex and he gives us 3 or 4 good years, Lamar sits behind him (Lamar is only 20), learns from Alex and when it’s time for Lamar to be the guy, he should be more than ready. 

We have wasted 2nd round picks on guys like TJ Yeldon and Marqise Lee in recent years. I’d be more than willing to part with it for Alex Smith.

Doug and Tom aren’t going to trot out a rookie QB next year with their jobs essentially on the line. They’re going to acquire a QB whether it be Brees, Cousins, Smith or Jimmy G.

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

We’ve spent 3 picks on a QB in the last 14 years (Gabbert, Bortles and Brandon Allen).

if we have to give up a 2nd round pick for a QB that has proven to be a pretty solid QB in this league and then take our future QB with our 1st round pick, we are really going to be mad? 

If we did acquire Alex and he gives us 3 or 4 good years, Lamar sits behind him (Lamar is only 20), learns from Alex and when it’s time for Lamar to be the guy, he should be more than ready. 

We have wasted 2nd round picks on guys like TJ Yeldon and Marqise Lee in recent years. I’d be more than willing to part with it for Alex Smith.

Doug and Tom aren’t going to trot out a rookie QB next year with their jobs essentially on the line. They’re going to acquire a QB whether it be Brees, Cousins, Smith or Jimmy G.

Except Lamar isnt a Good NFL QB Prospect. Hes a Good College QB cuz of the scheme he plays in. when he faces real Defenses he turns into RUN RUN FAR AWAY. Hes considered more raw then Mahomes was and mahomes is thought to be 1-2 years away so ill go 2-3 years away.  im fairly Certain Caldwell and Tom are not looking at a Run-First QB early in the draft. Depending on what Vet qb we go after QB wont be anything but a mid-round need(cousins, smith, Jimmy G, Bridgewater, Bradford are all young enough to not make QB of the Future not a huge need). smith should be fine as a qb for a few years.  it makes 0 Sense for us to Invest a 1st round pick into a Position which would be reportedly filled for atleast a couple of years(sans smith unless he agrees to an extension) when we have other Needs on this roster still.   theres the Big hole at wr IF we let Robinson leave. gurantee you that becomes atleast a 2nd round need if not first if we let arob leave and dont bring in another Top WR to replace him.  then you still have the OLINE needing Upgrades at guard and right tackle sorry but Omameh and Parnell should be Depth guys at best.   theres plenty of things we could use besides a QB who will sit on the Pine for 2 years. 

2 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

So you'd sit Jackson for 3-4 years?  O.o  Then Smith retires.  Jackson has burned through his rookie deal while twiddling his thumbs on the bench and either walks as a FA pissed that he hasn't had a chance to go, or gets tagged with a $$$ 5th year option and/or immediately needs the obligatory QB megadeal the year after, if he looks remotely competent based on 1 season of play.  ???

That sounds...very bad.

Basically you fence yourself into 2 outcomes with that:

a)You're spending the 2nd on a guy in Smith who you're only going to get 1 year out of (really bad value when you're already spending a 1st on a guy who should be able to start soon),

or

b)You keep Smith longer and you get no value out of your 1st round draft pick prospect QB for years (maybe never, if you hold onto things as long as you're suggesting). 

Why on earth would you want to intentionally leverage against yourself like that?  Sure we've wasted oodles of value on total bust draft picks in the past, but that's irrelevant.  I don't want them to waste the pick on guys like Yeldon or Lee either.  I just want them to be smart about it.  Pick a direction at QB, spend on that...and use the rest to continue bolstering the rest of the team.  Not double up with the important resources at a position where only 1 guy plays.  And a position they've already flushed a bunch of prime assets down the toilet on over the years.

This notion of 1st round QBs sitting to "develop" is becoming totally irrelevant.  If a guy can play and is worthy of that 1st round selection, they can play.  Just play 'em and let them take their lumps so you can get on with the winning sooner.

14 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I’d prefer to spend the first on a player to help Alex win if they bring him in. Draft a replacement for Campbell's inevitable decline or a game changing FS, or fix the OL or draft ARob’s replacement or something. 

41 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I’d prefer to spend the first on a player to help Alex win if they bring him in. Draft a replacement for Campbell's inevitable decline or a game changing FS, or fix the OL or draft ARob’s replacement or something. 

i agree. 

my quick list: Christian Wilkens, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Courtland Sutton(i know hes had a down year but hes very good and should be an addequate replacement but based on Comments from Allen we shouldnt be letting him walk.

I dont like the tackles in round 1. Connor Williams has potential but he was pretty bad this year.  McGlinchey isnt even the best linemen on Notre Dame IMO.  not a big fan of picking a guard in round 1 especially if we are gonna end up picking top 15. 

12 hours ago, iPwn said:

Exactly.  You look at the sort of supporting cast that Alex Smith has in KC right now, and that's the sort of dominant spread you've gotta put together to go anywhere serious with him at the helm.  If not even better.  Presuming they're moving on from him, should be telling.  That requires serious investment.

Archived