2018 Starting Quarterback

pwny

25 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The team currently has $49 million in available cap space.

That number changes to $68 million if we rescind Blake’s option.

That number changes to $72 million if Marcedes retires.

That number changes to $78 million if they cut Ivory.

That number changes to $80 million if they cut Rivera.

That number changes to $87 million if they cut Hurns.

—————

Now, let’s say they pick #8 overall. That puts the cost of draft picks at roughly $7M. That leaves $80 Mill. The draft picks should have at least one player 

Let’s say they decide to give Lee $8M/year to match the deal Robert Woods got. Let’s assume they don’t backload it. That leaves $72M.

Let’s say they Franchise Allen Robinson. That’s $16M. That leaves $56M.

Let’s say Telvin gets the richest WLB contract in history. Let’s assume they give him the same structure Keuchly got, and let’s even put another $2M into that first year to sweeten the deal because we’re not a good team. That puts the year one cost at $8M. That leaves $48M.

Lets say they give away $13M for random top 51 depth contracts. They won’t. But we can assume. That leaves $35M. 

Let’s assume they bring in a Kicker for $4M/year. That would give them one of the 4 highest paid Kickers in the NFL. That leaves $31M.

Let’s assume they give someone the same deal that Zeitler got. There’s no one in this class as good as Zeitler, but we can assume. That leaves $22M.

Also - if the player they draft or sign plays RT, you cut Parnell and save another $5M.

Backload a contract, and you can get any QB you want at any price. There is absolutely no reason to want a QB because he’ll be cheaper. Pay whatever capital they need; whether it be cash or draft, to get the answer. Don’t jerk around with this “well this guy would be cheaper” nonsense.

i dont see a Point in spending a a whole lot of cash on a QB when theres no QBs outside cousins/Brees that are really worth something. u wanna be stuck with a Glennon contract?  i certainly dont want that kind of contract on our books.  as Much as everyone wants a QB that can stretch things out Marrone seems like a guy who wants a Game Manager at QB because he wants to play Run Run the ball down your throat. the QB he wants can hit a few deep shots per game and not turn the ball over and be accurate with the Ball.  that definitely says we would likely be 6-0 with AJ at QB this year. 

17 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:
1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

We have a lot of money. Besides, a better QB will keep defenses from stacking the box as much as they do.

so would be resigning Arob but so far theres nothing in terms of progress. 

re-signing*

And says who? Are you Allen Robinson's agent?

Finalizing a deal with Robinson at this point makes absolutely no sense for either party. As he heals to the point he can start working on it again, that’s when [assuming they actually both have mutual interest beyond media lip service] they’ll really push to get a deal done.

He wants to be healed to prove he deserves more than a show me contract, the team wants him healed to justify more than a show-me contract.

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Well hes probably one of the cheaper options available in fa unless u want savage/geno smith

I don't want any of that trash.

Don't skimp on the most important position on the field.  Don't set out to find a guy who can be as useless as Bortles.  Find an actual solution.

38 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i dont see a Point in spending a a whole lot of cash on a QB when theres no QBs outside cousins/Brees that are really worth something. u wanna be stuck with a Glennon contract?  i certainly dont want that kind of contract on our books.  as Much as everyone wants a QB that can stretch things out Marrone seems like a guy who wants a Game Manager at QB because he wants to play Run Run the ball down your throat. the QB he wants can hit a few deep shots per game and not turn the ball over and be accurate with the Ball.  that definitely says we would likely be 6-0 with AJ at QB this year. 

That's not a description of AJ McCarron.  That's not what our record would be.

And that's not something i'm willing to watch an entire year of.  It would be at best...a rerun of this awful neutered offense we have this season.  That's not how you win games.  If their goal is to go out next year and continue just trying to survive on offense, and their shopping list is headlined by an AJ McCarron...this team is going to implode and experience a mass exodus of quality players.  And i would not even blame them one bit at that point.

I thought McCarron was a top 4 QB in that class, and shuffled back and forth on his value being in the late 2nd-4th round range. But he’s not a guy you bring in to be *the guy* for a team. Bring in him alongside a Sam Bradford (before this potential degenerative situation) type to be the injury protection for a year or two while you find the guy, sure. But if this team walks into the season trying to sell that AJ McCarron is going to win this team games, I may be done for good.

12 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I thought McCarron was a top 4 QB in that class, and shuffled back and forth on his value being in the late 2nd-4th round range. But he’s not a guy you bring in to be *the guy* for a team. Bring in him alongside a Sam Bradford (before this potential degenerative situation) type to be the injury protection for a year or two while you find the guy, sure. But if this team walks into the season trying to sell that AJ McCarron is going to win this team games, I may be done for good.

Exactly.  There's nothing wrong with AJ McCarron as a backup.  He's pretty much what you want there.  He's a quiet professional who will sit around holding a clipboard causing zero drama.  He'll come in, hand the ball off a bunch of times, check it down for the rest of the game, put the ball in his skill players' hands and hope they can go out and break something.  But that's a team in survival mode on offense, just trying not to make a big mistake, and not taking any sort of risk that might result in a mistake.  ie. Basically what they've tried to shoehorn Blake into this year.  And the sort of generally inadequate, non-threatening play you can get out of a number of journeyman/career backups.

That's not how you actually win games.  It's not the sort of thing that's going to drag any defenders out of the box.  It's not what this team needs out of a starter to actually take a step forward - and this is a team that badly needs to get off the futility treadmill and take a significant step forward.

50 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

That's not a description of AJ McCarron.  That's not what our record would be.

And that's not something i'm willing to watch an entire year of.  It would be at best...a rerun of this awful neutered offense we have this season.  That's not how you win games.  If their goal is to go out next year and continue just trying to survive on offense, and their shopping list is headlined by an AJ McCarron...this team is going to implode and experience a mass exodus of quality players.  And i would not even blame them one bit at that point.

well then u better Pray to every god there is that we sign Cousins or Brees or you get this "neutered offense"  again.  cuz outside of those 2 theres No truely good QBs that can uneuter this offense. 

I want no piece of Bradford and his Injury History.  hes clearly broken goods at this point.  None of these potential Rookie Draft picks are good bets to be a good Day 1 starter at QB because they all suck.  some of the options are less sucky but theres no way u can Convince me Yalls Favorite QB Prospect(Lamar) is a Good Rookie Starter at qb. 

7 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

well then u better Pray to every god there is that we sign Cousins or Brees or you get this "neutered offense"  again.  cuz outside of those 2 theres No truely good QBs that can uneuter this offense. 

I want no piece of Bradford and his Injury History.  hes clearly broken goods at this point.  None of these potential Rookie Draft picks are good bets to be a good Day 1 starter at QB because they all suck.  some of the options are less sucky but theres no way u can Convince me Yalls Favorite QB Prospect(Lamar) is a Good Rookie Starter at qb. 

There is an entire draft alongside free agency. Plus possible trade options like TC did his last time here with Brunell.

Also, assuming we'll run this same offense with any QB I think is pretty far off. The only reason we are running it this way is because Blake has shown to be turnover prone and make costly mistakes at the worst times. If he could just hit short/intermediate throws at a decent rate we'd be fine right now. We don't need someone throwing for 5k yards and being elite to get away from an offense like we have right now.

Edit: Didn't even notice your knock at this whole QB class. Also a wildly inaccurate statement to make in October. Last year was viewed the same way and Trubisky has looked semi-decent (while looking great as far as throwing on the run) and Watson has looked pretty damn solid and has broken records. This class is definitely better than that one from what I can tell right now even if Darnold doesn't come out.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

There is an entire draft alongside free agency. Plus possible trade options like TC did his last time here with Brunell.

Also, assuming we'll run this same offense with any QB I think is pretty far off. The only reason we are running it this way is because Blake has shown to be turnover prone and make costly mistakes at the worst times. If he could just hit short/intermediate throws at a decent rate we'd be fine right now. We don't need someone throwing for 5k yards and being elite to get away from an offense like we have right now.

i doubt the chiefs will trade alex smith for a Fair deal to us.  a fair deal IMO would be something like a 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd that can go to a 2nd. 

theres a lack of good Available QB Talent even in trades. 

eli no thanks. he seems like the guy who wants to spend his career with 1 team and he would have to approve being traded here and i dont see why he would want to. 

Lets here these "options in trades" cuz i gurantee you theres not many good options. 

Archived