Anyone ever consider living in a tiny home?

DoleINGout

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't really see the value in a tiny home when an RV is basically the same thing that's mobile.  As far as a mobile tiny home, seems like a considerably bigger hassle. 

RVs suck in the winter, they get bad condensation that can lead to rot, mold and mildew smells because they're not as well insulated as a tiny home (I mean a tiny home built the right way, like building a house and not a shack). Of course a newer one would have better seals and whatnot, but then you're looking at cost of a brand new RV vs a tiny home and the startup on a nice RV that you'd need to be as comfortable as you are in a tiny home is quite a bit more.

The lifespan on an RV isn't as long as you'd think if you want to live in it permanently. They aren't truly designed for living in long term, and you can tell if you try it. I guess it depends on how adaptable you are. I could probably do it, it sounds like may you could too. But to the average person I think that a well built tiny home would be a lot more functional and comfortable than an RV.

I wouldn't mind living in an RV for a few years and traveling North America. I wouldn't live in one permanently.

Edited by Dome

I'd love to live in a tiny home and have thought about it a lot. Wife would never go for it though. I'd probably be living in one now if it were a decision I could make on my own lmao. 

It's definitely plan B though if the wheels ever fall off this marriage (who knows, you know? I thought Brangelina would be forever too). I'd be buying property in my old hometown in a second and break ground in a weeks time.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

I'd consider it short term. My family and I are building a house this summer and selling ours this spring, meaning we will need about 4-6 months to live somewhere else. In the short term, to save a lot of money/just survive, I'd do it. Long term, with 3 kids 4 and under...NO WAY.

22 hours ago, Nazgul said:

No. Everything about tiny homes sounds awful.

Where would the farts go, for example.

Haha they have these air systems for that kind of things.

22 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

The whole tiny home idea isn't really about the actual house, it is about changing your lifestyle. 

1. You are forced to get rid of all your junk that you don't actually need. 

2. You minimize your environmental footprint (it takes a LOT of energy to heat/cool a 2000+ sqft house).

3. It gives incentive to get out of your house to travel or engage with your community. 

4. Having an extra $1k-$2k every month that would normally go to rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, maintenance, furniture, etc. lets you live a completely different lifestyle. 

Exactly why I would consider this lifestyle.

17 hours ago, 1claire said:

If you are living alone then I guess having a small place will be fine. 

Plus this...

While hatching up my own conspiracy to leave my evil ex for several years I embraced several ideas: buying an RV and living at a campground, buying a tiny house, moving to the south of France and changing my name to Vincent. The tiny house gimmick is a gimmick that targets hipsters that secretly hate it outside of the attention they get and wackydoos that can cast aside materialism and live as a minimalist. I have too many materials and things, I am a pack rat and a hoarder and need my things even though this thing in my hand is the only thing I’ve touched today. I could not tiny home. It might be cool to have a tiny home vacation getaway weekend but I could not tiny home. 

6 hours ago, Dome said:

RVs suck in the winter, they get bad condensation that can lead to rot, mold and mildew smells because they're not as well insulated as a tiny home (I mean a tiny home built the right way, like building a house and not a shack). Of course a newer one would have better seals and whatnot, but then you're looking at cost of a brand new RV vs a tiny home and the startup on a nice RV that you'd need to be as comfortable as you are in a tiny home is quite a bit more.

The lifespan on an RV isn't as long as you'd think if you want to live in it permanently. They aren't truly designed for living in long term, and you can tell if you try it. I guess it depends on how adaptable you are. I could probably do it, it sounds like may you could too. But to the average person I think that a well built tiny home would be a lot more functional and comfortable than an RV.

I wouldn't mind living in an RV for a few years and traveling North America. I wouldn't live in one permanently.

It wouldn't be for me, but basically if you tried to make an RV a permanent home you're writing off the cost of the RV totally.  You won't ever recoup the value if you want to sell it and move up or whatever.  It's a car-mobile home.  And both go down in value, like a rock.

A tiny home should conceivably retain it's value.  The only caveat there is that the market for them is also tiny, so the value is a lot more susceptible to supply/demand swings than a regular home.  I would imagine the value swings are much higher/lower than a standard residential home.  If you ever wanted to sell, you could make a huge profit if you bought at the right time.  You could also lose a lot of money too.

Neither are great investments, but if i were to make one, i'd go the tiny home route and travel by more conventional means.  Who wants to spend all their vacation time driving a large vehicle that guzzles gas like crazy anyhow?

50 minutes ago, theJ said:

Neither are great investments, but if i were to make one, i'd go the tiny home route and travel by more conventional means.  Who wants to spend all their vacation time driving a large vehicle that guzzles gas like crazy anyhow?

I think your best bet would be building a tiny home on a property that has a regular sized home.

Rent out the regular sized home and your tiny home utilities and everything should be covered. 

If you ever have to sell, you're selling the normal sized home with an "In-Laws" Cabin as a bonus. Opens up the market for you a bit.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

It wouldn't be for me, but basically if you tried to make an RV a permanent home you're writing off the cost of the RV totally.  You won't ever recoup the value if you want to sell it and move up or whatever.  It's a car-mobile home.  And both go down in value, like a rock.

A tiny home should conceivably retain it's value.  The only caveat there is that the market for them is also tiny, so the value is a lot more susceptible to supply/demand swings than a regular home.  I would imagine the value swings are much higher/lower than a standard residential home.  If you ever wanted to sell, you could make a huge profit if you bought at the right time.  You could also lose a lot of money too.

The point of a tiny home is to not need to make a major investment and worry about value retention 

But yeah, RV’s are not even remotely the same.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The point of a tiny home is to not need to make a major investment and worry about value retention 

But yeah, RV’s are not even remotely the same.

Suppose it depends on your definition of major, but the land itself (depending on the area) is still going to fairly expensive.  it's not like buying a used minivan.  So i guess my point is that it'd still be a major factor if i were making that decision.  You could still be sinking 40k into it, or more.

In any case though, it'll never be like buying a 2000 sqft home.  That i agree with.

52 minutes ago, Dome said:

I think your best bet would be building a tiny home on a property that has a regular sized home.

Rent out the regular sized home and your tiny home utilities and everything should be covered. 

If you ever have to sell, you're selling the normal sized home with an "In-Laws" Cabin as a bonus. Opens up the market for you a bit.

Very true.

I noticed when in Portland that tons of people have in-law suites that they rent out on AirBnb.  Little 400 sqft outbuildings that look like converted garages.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2019 at 12:48 PM, DoleINGout said:

I'm thinking about the possibilities and I'm not sure about it. Anyone know what it's like? 😅

Ok.

You can stay in your tiny home in my back yard for 75 per week, you get 300 sqm for your tiny home and garden. 

As long as you are not a pervert.

Edited by Kiwibrown