Anyone ever consider living in a tiny home?

DoleINGout

On 18/02/2019 at 7:17 PM, Heimdallr said:

The whole tiny home idea isn't really about the actual house, it is about changing your lifestyle. 

1. You are forced to get rid of all your junk that you don't actually need. 

2. You minimize your environmental footprint (it takes a LOT of energy to heat/cool a 2000+ sqft house).

3. It gives incentive to get out of your house to travel or engage with your community. 

4. Having an extra $1k-$2k every month that would normally go to rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, maintenance, furniture, etc. lets you live a completely different lifestyle. 

I understand the logic behind it.

However, I live by myself in a 2,000 sq. foot single home on a 60 foot lot. And guess what? It's awesome having all this wonderful SPACE all to myself.

:D

23 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’d definitely consider it. My only problem would be where to “park” it. Would it just be treated like a trailer?

Yes.

You need a serviced lot with the proper zoning.

In a small town or rural area it's probably not much of an issue.

In a major city, it depends on what the bylaws say.

Is there such a thing as an upscale trailer park?

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the price. Also, having a decent yard would be nice if I can somehow open the house up.

I used to worry about energy conservation, but then I realized places like Hartsfield-Jackson Airport and even the Georgia World Congress Center probably use many times more energy in a day than I do in my 1000 SF home in a year.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1 bedroom trailer in the middle of nowhere that I enjoy for several days at a time. Wife and kids not so much.

If I didn't have kids I'd have 5 tiny houses spread out across Canada. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...