Could The Lions Surprise and Take An OT at #8?

Just Want A Title

A lot of the same names get thrown around when it comes to the #8 pick (assuming they stay at #8 in the 1st round).  Could the Lions pull a draft-day surprise by taking an OT?  Jonah Williams has been rated pretty highly even though he is a bit short.  Jawaan Taylor looks like a beast at RT.  Andre Dillard could rise also if he does well at the combine and pre-draft work outs.  Could one of them be a surprise pick in the first round?

Kiper has us taking a TE (Hockenson). I literally said "@$%$ you" out loud when I read it. xD

We need a guard. I know that this is incredibly simplistic, but I always have a good amount of faith that a guy will be able to move from tackle to guard. I'd really be fine with any pick along the line on either side of the ball. I think that TE, K and P might be the only positions I'd be upset with based on position alone. Maybe RB since this year's crop seems so bad. I wouldn't hesitate to double up in the backfield.

FA is going to play a huge role in this but as things look right now, I would be against it.

If you look at the blatant holes on the roster: DE(x2), RG, TE(x2). Then we've got big question marks: CB2, FS, WR3, RB2, OC. There are only so many resources to go around. We're going to have to address DE and TE in free agency and the draft. If we sign a key DE in FA (Flowers) and then trade down from #8 to take a guy like Hockenson, then it's a move that I can at least understand and support. It might not be my favourite move but I can see the point in it. Especially in a draft that is deep in DL talent.

If Lang retires or the Lions choose to not bring him back, that is a significant hole. However, there isn't a Quenton Nelson in the draft. #8 would be a huge stretch for an above average OG.

Personally, if we land the right guys in free agency, I wouldn't mind drafting Jawaan Taylor or Andre Dillard.  A lot of people project Jonah Williams to guard.  I definitely wouldn't want to take him at #8 if we plan to play him at RG.  Jawaan Taylor has long arms, solid footwork, awesome size and plays with a nasty demeanor.  I don't know if he is worth it at #8 but would love to see him in a Lions uniform.  In Dillard's Case, if he shows he can adjust to pro sets after playing Washington State's crazy offense, he could be a real find.  The guy is really good at handling speed-rushers and showed at the Senior Bowl that he can handle a strong bull-rush.  Taylor Decker is solid but if we can get a higher caliber LT and switch Decker to RT that would give us some pretty talented book-end tackles.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Personally, if we land the right guys in free agency, I wouldn't mind drafting Jawaan Taylor or Andre Dillard.  A lot of people project Jonah Williams to guard.  I definitely wouldn't want to take him at #8 if we plan to play him at RG.  Jawaan Taylor has long arms, solid footwork, awesome size and plays with a nasty demeanor.  I don't know if he is worth it at #8 but would love to see him in a Lions uniform.  In Dillard's Case, if he shows he can adjust to pro sets after playing Washington State's crazy offense, he could be a real find.  The guy is really good at handling speed-rushers and showed at the Senior Bowl that he can handle a strong bull-rush.  Taylor Decker is solid but if we can get a higher caliber LT and switch Decker to RT that would give us some pretty talented book-end tackles.

If we were to miss out on Trey Flowers but bring in Brandon Graham and Dante Fowler (maybe even re-sign Ziggy) to form a rotation, this could be an option. The principal issue is - what do you do with Wagner? Can he play guard? His cap hit is $11M. If we cut him before June 1st, there's $8M of dead money whereas a post-June 1st cut is going to open up $9M in cap space.

18 hours ago, TimeForChange said:

Rick Wagner and Taylor Decker are good enough and young enough for our team and there are more immediate needs on the team that can be addressed at pick 8. 

Immediate needs.. wouldn't you hope to not be drafting this high and go bpa...

LT a lot hard to find then pr

You must be ok with paying Decker 

Don't get me started on this te thing 

WE NEED PASS RUSHERS AHHHHH 

yet we were like 12th in sacks immediate need? 

OL while put in bad situations just didn't get it done. This is every year .... we all know Wagner is gonna be an "immediate need" next yr and if you don't you ain't been watching or go ahead wait till next yr when pretty sure we wont have a shot at the top tackle 

What is the harm in getting the top ot versus 5th best pr? 

We seem to have the coaches really focused on the ol which equals better development

I see so much more benefit personally in going ot versus pr when you factor in how high the pick is and possibly the #1 ot versus say 4th best pr... deckers potential price is he worth it can he stay healthy franchising him will kill that os 

This drafting for "immediate need" has made us average imo settling for the 4th best at a position for need taking a te number flippn 8 when Stafford has never produced with one...... 

34 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

What do you do with Wagner? More importantly Lang/RG?

Your acting like this is a bad thing...

Who cares Lang is cheap Wagner is over priced depth but could prove valuable as far as say not worrying about injuries. Or trade or cut him what's the big deal here.

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

Your acting like this is a bad thing...

Who cares Lang is cheap Wagner is over priced depth but could prove valuable as far as say not worrying about injuries. Or trade or cut him what's the big deal here.

I'm not suggesting that we can't find upgrades and some of those decisions might be out of our control. If Lang retires, we have no choice but to find an OG. Even if he wants to come back, we might still decide to move on from him. This also isn't Madden - there is something to an offensive line gelling as a unit. Wagner has played relatively well and we drafted Crosby just last year. Getting rid of Wagner and Lang opens up two huge holes on offense when we have several other holes to address. That's even assuming that Glasgow is our OC which isn't a lock either. If we look to replace him, that's a huge amount of change.

This doesn't even account for the issues on the edge, Tight End, WR3-WR5, FS, CB2 - CB3.

If we trade down and a guy like Taylor is the BPA in that spot AND we're not staring at major holes at key spots thanks to FA(Flowers at DE, Uzomah and/or Jesse James at TE) then I wouldn't hate the pick. It's just not something that I would consider right now with our current needs and at #8.

If I remember correctly, unless RIck Wagner is a Post June 1 cut, we would take a pretty big cap hit.  That being said, if we keep him around as quality depth for 2019, then release him, the cap hit would be much more manageable.

Taylor Decker is a solid LT but not a dominant/Pro Bowl level player.  He shouldn't be paid like a pro-bowler.

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not suggesting that we can't find upgrades and some of those decisions might be out of our control. If Lang retires, we have no choice but to find an OG. Even if he wants to come back, we might still decide to move on from him. This also isn't Madden - there is something to an offensive line gelling as a unit. Wagner has played relatively well and we drafted Crosby just last year. Getting rid of Wagner and Lang opens up two huge holes on offense when we have several other holes to address. That's even assuming that Glasgow is our OC which isn't a lock either. If we look to replace him, that's a huge amount of change.

This doesn't even account for the issues on the edge, Tight End, WR3-WR5, FS, CB2 - CB3.

If we trade down and a guy like Taylor is the BPA in that spot AND we're not staring at major holes at key spots thanks to FA(Flowers at DE, Uzomah and/or Jesse James at TE) then I wouldn't hate the pick. It's just not something that I would consider right now with our current needs and at #8.

Guess you can figure it out next yr with lesser talent...

It shouldn't be that tough to find a og.. center is tougher why personally I drafted one...

Madden...yawn...gelling..yawn.. the only side that needs to worry about gelling is the left.. the rest are expendable and will be at some point soon anyway.. Wagner has another yr like the last hes gone..and should be. Glasgow sure wouldn't call a keeper.. no rg.. so whos gellin...

Imo Crosby could and should try og but really not seeing why Wagner couldn't  at least get a shot there.

Imo we atleast need 2 ol anyway

Archived