Jaguars pick up the team options on DL Calais Campbell and 2 others

Dr LBC

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/18/jags-pick-up-the-contract-options-of-3-players-including-dl-calais-campbell/?utm_source=NFLDraftDiamonds&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=affref

Per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, they picked up the contract options of team captains Calais Campbell and Lerentee McCray and the option of backup safety Cody Davis.

I don't think anyone was not expecting them to retain Calais on his option, but this does give a little clearer picture as to who the Jags may be releasing if the decide to create cap space to go QB hunting on the FA market.  If they release Bortles after June 1st, it only accounts for $11.5M in dead money on the ledger while freeing up a shade over $9M (only frees up a shade over $4.25M if it's before June).

Campbell's option being picked up seems to pretty clearly point to Malik Jackson being one of those cap-casualties as that frees up between $11-12M depending on the timing.  Could see Carlos Hyde and his $4.7M cap-hit in that number too unless they renegotiate his contract.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Hyde for sure

At least 1 of Dareus/Malik

Bortles

Parnell maybe

I assumed Hyde was toast.

Didn't Malik post something on Twitter that he was going to be cut? Could've sworn I remember seeing something like that. Does Cutting Hyde, Malik, Bortles, and Parnell bring the Jags into the black? I seemed to recall that the Jags would take a pretty big dead money hit for cutting Bortles (so  much so that they save very little by cutting him).

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Didn't Malik post something on Twitter that he was going to be cut? Could've sworn I remember seeing something like that. Does Cutting Hyde, Malik, Bortles, and Parnell bring the Jags into the black? I seemed to recall that the Jags would take a pretty big dead money hit for cutting Bortles (so  much so that they save very little by cutting him).

Saving anything by cutting him is still something. I think the difference is about 4m total for cutting him but the other Jag fans know better

I don’t remember Malik saying anything. The writing was sort of on the wall when Taven Bryan was drafted and given more PT down the stretch. Sucks bc Malik is still playing at a very high level

I think doing all that plus the rollover cap space we have gets us there

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Surprising news on Campbell considering the Jags are projected to be in the red. Who are they planning to cut, now?

Jackson, bortles, Hyde, Parnell(his play was trash), maybe abry jones(tho with us paying mccray like 3 million for special teams/rotational DE/Sam LB seems like we would keep him.)

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Honestly, just cutting Austin Seferian-Jenkins today, and whenever they get around to cutting Carlos Hyde puts the Jaguars back into the black by itself.  Cutting Bortles then saves them enough (especially if it's a post June 1st designation) to probably ink their rookie contracts comfortably.

And then there's Jermey Parnell who kinda sucked a lot last year and can be cut whenever to save them another 6 million bucks.  Plus it's kind of expected that like you said...Malik Jackson (or Marcell Dareus) is probably gone which kicks up another $10M or so in space to play around with either way.

From there, i don't think it's out of the question that Calais Campbell's deal sees some sort of mild restructuring to massage a bit of extra cap space out of it.

That combination of fairly easy moves should essentially land the Jaguars with ~$30M give or take, to work with for the offseason...and really nobody important in need of a big raise to re-sign this year.

It's not great, but it's never really been as dire as a lot of casual glances might've made it look from the outside.   

Also was never really likely that it'd be Calais Campbell they dumped to make cap space.  He's still probably the Jaguars second best player playing at a Pro Bowl level, and a huge leadership presence on the defense.  Save slightly more just by ditching either of Malik Jackson or Marcell Dareus anyway.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly, just cutting Austin Seferian-Jenkins today, and whenever they get around to cutting Carlos Hyde puts the Jaguars back into the black by itself.  Cutting Bortles then saves them enough (especially if it's a post June 1st designation) to probably ink their rookie contracts comfortably.

And then there's Jermey Parnell who kinda sucked a lot last year and can be cut whenever to save them another 6 million bucks.  Plus it's kind of expected that like you said...Malik Jackson (or Marcell Dareus) is probably gone which kicks up another $10M or so in space to play around with either way.

From there, i don't think it's out of the question that Calais Campbell's deal sees some sort of mild restructuring to massage a bit of extra cap space out of it.

That combination of fairly easy moves should essentially land the Jaguars with ~$30M give or take, to work with for the offseason...and really nobody important in need of a big raise to re-sign this year.

It's not great, but it's never really been as dire as a lot of casual glances might've made it look from the outside.   

Also was never really likely that it'd be Calais Campbell they dumped to make cap space.  He's still probably the Jaguars second best player playing at a Pro Bowl level, and a huge leadership presence on the defense.  Save slightly more just by ditching either of Malik Jackson or Marcell Dareus anyway.

Haven't paid much attention to the Jags last season. I know Malik Jackson was regressing and eventually got benched... Was Marcel Dareus underwhelming too?

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Haven't paid much attention to the Jags last season. I know Malik Jackson was regressing and eventually got benched... Was Marcel Dareus underwhelming too?

Honestly, both Jackson and Dareus are still fine, starter caliber players.  Cap space aside, i'd be just peachy keen having those guys continue to start on the Jaguars interior DLine for 2019.  But obviously something's gotta give financially.

The Jackson thing was a bit weird, but also seemed to have a lot to do with the Jaguars brass wanting to get 1st round project Taven Bryan into the mix to find out what they have there.  Taven looked absolutely lost at DE, so they needed to get him snaps at DT where he looked better.  I think that's probably where Malik Jackson's little outburst stemmed from...being pushed aside so they could get a look at a rookie who wasn't necessarily any better than him.  Probably foreshadowing what's to come with an impending Jackson cut.

Malik "regressed" from his 2017 level, but he can still absolutely play.  He'll probably make somebody happy as a decent starting 3T somewhere on a more reasonable contract value.

Dareus was fine too.  Nobody on the Jaguars had a good year...literally everyone was worse than 2017.  The whole team just seemed to sag with the offense sputtering in futility.  But Dareus looked like he's still got plenty of game as a solid NT.

10 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I seemed to recall that the Jags would take a pretty big dead money hit for cutting Bortles (so  much so that they save very little by cutting him).

I covered the dead money and the space freed up by cutting Bortles pre- and post-June 1 in the OP.

Typically, outside of your 1st rounder who can take some time to work out the particulars on, teams prefer to have their rookies under contract by the time mini-camp rolls around - which is early May.  I don't know for certain, but it strikes me that if a player is designated to be cut after June 1st, that the actual cap space wouldn't be cleared up until said player was officially off the ledger... after June 1st.  Now, mind you, the cap is supposed to only apply to the Top 51 (IIRC?) contracts on the books, so some of those rookie contracts (certainly not UDFA's) would apply straight-forth, but if the difference between being able to comfortably ensure the flexibility to get all the rookies into camp on schedule with no snags is foregoing saving  an additional $4M against the cap by cutting Bortles after June 1st versus before, I could see a team justifying just yanking the Band-Aid off and swallowing the bitter pill.

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

I covered the dead money and the space freed up by cutting Bortles pre- and post-June 1 in the OP.

Typically, outside of your 1st rounder who can take some time to work out the particulars on, teams prefer to have their rookies under contract by the time mini-camp rolls around - which is early May.  I don't know for certain, but it strikes me that if a player is designated to be cut after June 1st, that the actual cap space wouldn't be cleared up until said player was officially off the ledger... after June 1st.  Now, mind you, the cap is supposed to only apply to the Top 51 (IIRC?) contracts on the books, so some of those rookie contracts (certainly not UDFA's) would apply straight-forth, but if the difference between being able to comfortably ensure the flexibility to get all the rookies into camp on schedule with no snags is foregoing saving  an additional $4M against the cap by cutting Bortles after June 1st versus before, I could see a team justifying just yanking the Band-Aid off and swallowing the bitter pill.

There are enough other pieces to slash away to get the Jaguars in position to easily sign their draft class anyway, even if they decide to make Bortles a post June 1st cut.

Could still see them leaning either way on it though.  A bit of extra cap space this year, vs a bit less next year when they have some monster deals to probably get signed.  Not sure which route they go.  Pros and Cons to either option, probably depending on whether they want to try to maximize cap space to go big game QB hunting in the Veteran market this year or not.  But i think those other factors are probably more relevant than flexibility for the rookie class, which they should be able to find easily enough either way.

Archived