Most talented teams that underachieved?

Elky

Last season, even though they made the SB, I have to say LAR. That defense should have been elite and they were barely average.

Similarly, the 2007 Patriots losing the SB as favorites after going 16-0.

If I had to pick a team for "should have been great and didn't do anything that season", is the Dream Team Eagles. Talk about laying an egg. They took Nnamdi from the Jets for nothing. I mean, imagine Nnamdi Revis and maybe even Cro (doubtful he's signed if we sign Nnamdi). That probably would've been enough to carry Mark to an SB victory.

The Bengals defense was horrendous statistically but we are hardly devoid of talent. Atkins, Dunlap and WJIII are difference makers. Shawn Williams, Jessie Bates, Dre Kirkpatrick and Darqueze Dennard round off what is one of the better secondaries in the league. Our defensive line also has an influx of quality with Sam Hubbard, Carl Lawson, Andrew Billings, and Jordan Willis. 

Our linebackers just got eaten alive and Teryl Austin was dreadful. We were much improved with Marvin Lewis taking the reigns during the last half of the season after Austin was relieved of his duties. I'm hoping for a quick turnaround with Taylor. This team still has a lot of talent. We just perpetually underachieve.

I know people are gonna say homer alert. But I am a firm believer that Dallas could have made and even possibly won this years Super Bowl and others in years past if we were not held by by extremely poor game day coaching.

It's weird because in the overachieved topic I would put Dallas there too because it was the talent and will of this team that gave them a better record then what Garrett could scheme up.

This team should have it's picture next to the word Paradox in the dictionary.

2000 Redskins.  Loaded up for a Super Bowl run after coming off a 1 point loss to Tampa in the divisional round.  Brought in Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, and Mark Carrier .  Started 1-2 and then went to 6-2 after an impressive 5 game winning streak that included 4 wins over playoff teams that season with 10 wins or more, including wins over both Super Bowl participants (Baltimore and NY Giants).  They were even sitting at 7-4 and tied for 1st place in the NFC East after an impressive 33-20 win over the defending champion Rams on the road where they looked like a contender.  And then the bottom fell out

They lost the week after that at home to Philly in a game where they let Donovan McNabb account for 90% of the offense, including over 100 yards rushing.  Then they lost at home to the Giants in a game where Brad Johnson played so bad in his return it got him benched for the rest of the season.  They had chances to win both games and Eddie Murray missed field goals that would have either sent it to overtime or won.  The second loss to the Giants got Norv Turner fired.  He was the first coach to be fired with a winning record at 7-6 but the writing was on the wall.  They were blown out by the 5-11 Cowboys and Pittsburgh before finishing at 8-8 and Washington hasn’t sniffed contention ever since

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know if underachieved is the right word, but the Niners to not win one SB with the teams they had from 11-13 is pretty nuts. 

Same with the 2001-2004 Eagles. By far the best team in the NFC during that stretch.

Archived