Persistent OBJ trade rumors

Gmen

For the second straight offseason there are trade rumors surrounding OBJ.  Jay Glazer says it’s a real possibility.  Chris Simms said the Giants almost sent him to the Patriots last year.  Mike Florio says the 49ers were interested last year, and continue to be interested this year. 

As a Giants fan I’m torn. On one hand I love watching him play and talents like him don’t grow on trees. On the other hand, we can use some picks to build around Barkley and also fix the defense.

What are your thoughts? 

If the Giants trade OBJ it will be one of the dumbest moves of this era. He's so damn good and can do everything you want from a receiver. Blazing speed, quick to separate, high points like no other, and the most reliable hands in the NFL. Paired with Barkley and you're not far from having an elite offense. Taking him away puts you much farther back.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

For the second straight offseason there are trade rumors surrounding OBJ.  Jay Glazer says it’s a real possibility.  Chris Simms said the Giants almost sent him to the Patriots last year.  Mike Florio says the 49ers were interested last year, and continue to be interested this year. 

As a Giants fan I’m torn. On one hand I love watching him play and talents like him don’t grow on trees. On the other hand, we can use some picks to build around Barkley and also fix the defense.

What are your thoughts? 

You need a QB so you should do what it takes to get one. Otherwise you'll have Saquon and waste him.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

If the Giants trade OBJ it will be one of the dumbest moves of this era. He's so damn good and can do everything you want from a receiver. Blazing speed, quick to separate, high points like no other, and the most reliable hands in the NFL. Paired with Barkley and you're not far from having an elite offense. Taking him away puts you much farther back.

That belongs to Hopkins

Every player in the NFL has a Risk/Reward ratio.
Its rather telling when the Reward side of that equation is high ( he's super talented) but his current team is willing to listen to offers. That gives us a hint about the other side of the equation, doesn't it ?

Maybe the NYGs don't want him in the room with any young WRs they draft, maybe they don't want him around a young QB they are gonna draft. Maybe he's not a good fit for a rebuild, maybe he needs a new deal by the time the NYGs are ready to challenge for a Title. Lots of reasons to consider moving him and apparently his Talent vs his Headache factor is a closer gap than many surmise.

This is tough. You have a truly special talent in OBJ - top 15 player in the league, easily. Who's also in the prime of his career. That's not something you want to trade away. The Raiders have paid dearly and will continue to pay for letting a similarly talented player go in Khalil Mack.

Having a roster devoid of talent and desperate to stockpile picks for future considerations, it made sense for the Raiders to ship off Mack for as much as they could.

The Giants however - while also looking toward toward future relevancy - are closer to competing for their division more than the Raiders were a year ago. The difference being the uncertainty that surrounds OBJ as a person and the consequences of his exuberant personality. His attitude and actions can become tiresome, distracting, selfish and unpredictable. If OBJ was a class act like Larry Fitzgerald I don't think we'd be having this discussion, and he would remain a Giant for life. 

If you're the Giants and you forego drafting a QB this year, trading OBJ now will make you a lesser threat now but also give you the firepower to make a move for your desired signal-caller in the 2019 or 2020 draft. Which I think is paramount for a team that is in dire need of Eli's heir. If I'm Gettleman, I wouldn't trade him for less than a first this year and a first next year. That would be the starting point for any discussion. All things considered, if that were the case I would likely send him packing.

Draft Haskins, offensive/defensive line, or trade back at 6 in 2019, draft a receiver like AJ Brown at 36.

Archived