Persistent OBJ trade rumors

Gmen

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

It does have a beautiful skyline.

Yea nobody is going to sell me on Cleveland as an organization or a city. And I can guarantee 100% OBJ would be a malcontent and force his way out sooner than later. Don’t waste your draft picks

Follow him on social media. He spends half his time in Miami, LA or Drake’s house. He loves attention and needs a big market

Maybe. But theoretically, he's going to have a great QB to work with. And his best friend right there with him in the same WR room. I could see it working in Cleveland but I'm going to ride the fence on it. I'm not sure if it would be a great move, but I most certainly wouldn't hate it depending on how much we would have to give up.

The most common trade value I've seen from him is a 2019 1st and a 2020 2nd. I think I'd do that if I were Cleveland. Probably not much more....maybe a real late draft pick.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:15 AM, Gmen said:

No. OBJ has been the most marketable player in the NFL since his rookie season. Hes been in national TV commercials for Nike, Pepsi, Verizon, Head and Shoulders, foot locker, Buick, Dunkin, and I’m missing some. He makes a good chunk of his income from marketing. Playing for the Browns would put a huge dent in his wallet. The next time I see any Browns player in a national television commercial, will be the first time. OBJ needs to go to team and a city that’s marketable. Los Angeles, New England, Dallas (please no), San Francisco, Miami to a lesser extent. Pretty much every other place would be a hit to his brand.

You haven’t seen any Browns players in a commercial because they haven’t had any worthy of one. Baker builds upon his rookie year and you will see him all over the field. 

Also OBJ has landed a lot of those endorsement deals already. Only thing left for his career is to actually start winning. At this point in time he has a better career future with a team like Cleveland than giants cause Cleveland actually has a QB. Giants just have a way past his prime Eli and a stud RB but Barkley isn’t throwing him passes

On 2/20/2019 at 6:15 AM, Gmen said:

No. OBJ has been the most marketable player in the NFL since his rookie season. Hes been in national TV commercials for Nike, Pepsi, Verizon, Head and Shoulders, foot locker, Buick, Dunkin, and I’m missing some. He makes a good chunk of his income from marketing. Playing for the Browns would put a huge dent in his wallet. The next time I see any Browns player in a national television commercial, will be the first time. OBJ needs to go to team and a city that’s marketable. Los Angeles, New England, Dallas (please no), San Francisco, Miami to a lesser extent. Pretty much every other place would be a hit to his brand.

A marketable player will be a marketable player wherever they play.

How much did playing in Cleveland hurt LeBron James marketability?

Peyton Manning was the most marketable player in the league for a decade, despite playing in one of the smallest markets in the league.

I will give you that he might not be happy in Cleveland, but it has nothing to do with not being marketable there.    

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

A marketable player will be a marketable player wherever they play.

How much did playing in Cleveland hurt LeBron James marketability?

Peyton Manning was the most marketable player in the league for a decade, despite playing in one of the smallest markets in the league.

I will give you that he might not be happy in Cleveland, but it has nothing to do with not being marketable there.    

I get what you are trying to say, but I think you're off.  QBs and ads, or Lebron and ads, are not comparable to other NFL positions and ads.  Aaron Rodgers and Peyton are the two most commonly used players in ads over the past 15 years.  Both QBs from smaller markets.  Mahomes might be next in line, also smaller market.  And bringing Lebron, very possibly the single most recognizable athlete on the planet, into this as a comparison point is silly at best.

When was the last time you saw a non-QB in national ads on a regular basis?  Von Miller has done Old Spice.  Not much from Donald or Watt.  Nor Jalen Ramsey.  Nor most defensive players.  Offensive players are almost as rare...with only AB being a decently solid fixture.  

I think him going to a smaller market would actually hurt his marketability.  

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I get what you are trying to say, but I think you're off.  QBs and ads, or Lebron and ads, are not comparable to other NFL positions and ads.  Aaron Rodgers and Peyton are the two most commonly used players in ads over the past 15 years.  Both QBs from smaller markets.  Mahomes might be next in line, also smaller market.  And bringing Lebron, very possibly the single most recognizable athlete on the planet, into this as a comparison point is silly at best.

Even if you want to make that argument, then look at it relative to other QBs and basketball players.     Being in a smaller market didnt prevent Peyton from being the most marketable QB, nor didnt it in any way prevent Lebron from being the most marketable basketball player.

When was the last time you saw a non-QB in national ads on a regular basis?  Von Miller has done Old Spice.  Not much from Donald or Watt.  Nor Jalen Ramsey.  Nor most defensive players.  Offensive players are almost as rare...with only AB being a decently solid fixture.  

Football players dont get as much individual attention because there isnt nearly as much facial recognition as there is in other sports, especially among casual fans.

QBs get more attention in general.

If the argument was, him being drafted to Cleveland would hurt his marketability, I could see that, but he is already an established brand.     If he went to Cleveland and was still putting up good numbers and had the same personality, he would still be extremely nationally marketable...even moreso if Baker Mayfield keeps getting better and with their personalities together, it could be really funny to watch.

I think a smaller market would hurt him if he was trying to establish himself. He has already made himself well known. Everyone already knows who OBJ is. Also with the way the Browns are turning around, they might be come the Cinderella of prime time tv next year. Rumors of the Browns might be landing at least landing 4-5 prime time games next year (Baker Effect) and potentially get more if everything goes well and they get flexed. Browns also have one of, if not the biggest backer associations in the league with a legion of fans all over the nation. You get OBJ on the Browns everyone across the US will be watching. You add someone like OBJ that instantly gives the Browns a very sexy offense. Football fans will tune in to see that offense. Also If Baker keeps developing, getting attached to him will keep him in the endorsement money. 

He wasn’t getting endorsements because of just being in NY. He was getting it because the team was having success and he was playing great. Until the giants find a legit QB, NY will struggle to win. Example. You look at the Jets, there players play in the NY market but you don’t see them getting these major endorsement deals. Winning creates the money, especially in today’s market.

57 minutes ago, drew39k said:

The Giants and Steelers need to just swap disgruntled star receivers and be done with it. Maybe the Steelers would have to part with a third to compensate for age difference?

source.gif

Kawkami wrote this in his article he just posted from The Athletic:

Bosa or Beckham. One of them, essentially served up on a platter for the 49ers — that’s the chatter from the NFL scouting combine the last few days, all pointing to just this devilish but quite promising choice for Lynch and Shanahan.

So more smoke in the rumors that the Giants may trade OBJ this offseason. 

Archived