Persistent OBJ trade rumors

Gmen

12 hours ago, Gmen said:

The Browns aren’t a good organization despite the 7 win season. And like Lebron, OBJ is too big for Cleveland. The only thing that might make it work is his friendship with Landry.

At this point in time i would much rather go to cleveland than the giants if i were a player choosing a new team.  The Browns are on the come up and to me have more talent already on the team and a brighter future for the next 5 years or so.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

OBJ would never be as big in Cleveland as Baker. Why it would matter i'm not sure, probably just an opportunity to take a LeBron shot, but as far as marketing Cleveland would be a pretty good place to be right now.

No. OBJ has been the most marketable player in the NFL since his rookie season. Hes been in national TV commercials for Nike, Pepsi, Verizon, Head and Shoulders, foot locker, Buick, Dunkin, and I’m missing some. He makes a good chunk of his income from marketing. Playing for the Browns would put a huge dent in his wallet. The next time I see any Browns player in a national television commercial, will be the first time. OBJ needs to go to team and a city that’s marketable. Los Angeles, New England, Dallas (please no), San Francisco, Miami to a lesser extent. Pretty much every other place would be a hit to his brand.

44 minutes ago, Gmen said:

No. OBJ has been the most marketable player in the NFL since his rookie season. Hes been in national TV commercials for Nike, Pepsi, Verizon, Head and Shoulders, foot locker, Buick, Dunkin, and I’m missing some. He makes a good chunk of his income from marketing. Playing for the Browns would put a huge dent in his wallet. The next time I see any Browns player in a national television commercial, will be the first time. OBJ needs to go to team and a city that’s marketable. Los Angeles, New England, Dallas (please no), San Francisco, Miami to a lesser extent. Pretty much every other place would be a hit to his brand.

I watch zero network TV (other than football) so I wasn't aware OBJ was so marketable. Quick google search says yep, OBJ is the man. 

Bad fit for Miami though, a blowed-up rebuilding team? Otoh, OBJ is a good dancer and the Fins' defense had an early 90's nickname "Miami Pound Machine." Heh, from the musical group Miami Sound Machine. OBJ could dance all he want. But....no. Can't afford his salary when you're rebuilding. 

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

Other than Brady, what Patriots player is in commercials? It’s basically LA or New York.

Then again, I’m sure I’m not the only one who doesn’t care about a players marketability. I don’t buy something because some athlete said so.

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Other than Brady, what Patriots player is in commercials? It’s basically LA or New York.

Then again, I’m sure I’m not the only one who doesn’t care about a players marketability. I don’t buy something because some athlete said so.

Gronk.

4 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

I think you think the Giants are more important than they are.

Most certainly

OBJ has already accrued his impressive Q rating for Madison Avenue marketers and while New York was critical for the early phase of his branding effort, he doesn't need NYC as much anymore. I also think the marketing gurus would have a blast with OBJ in Cleveland.
Even the owner, Haslam can profit from it. He can change the name of his company to "Pilot Flying OBJ" and put Odell's name on hundreds of truck stops across America. Besides, after the scandal, Haslam needs a new name and a new brand:  O'Dell is perfect for that effort

Cleveland is an up & comer, far more interesting and marketable than the stale, staid, rebuilding G-nats at this point in time.

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Most certainly

OBJ has already accrued his impressive Q rating for Madison Avenue marketers and while New York was critical for the early phase of his branding effort, he doesn't need NYC as much anymore. I also think the marketing gurus would have a blast with OBJ in Cleveland.
Even the owner, Haslam can profit from it. He can change the name of his company to "Pilot Flying OBJ" and put Odell's name on hundreds of truck stops across America. Besides, after the scandal, Haslam needs a new name and a new brand:  O'Dell is perfect for that effort

Cleveland is an up & comer, far more interesting and marketable than the stale, staid, rebuilding G-nats at this point in time.

The dude has been trying to take shots at Cleveland for a little while now. Don't know why a Giants fan is that way, but meh.

20 hours ago, Gmen said:

I would hate to see OBJ traded to Cleveland, and the Giants wouldn’t be that cruel. But it is a business so you never know. 

Cruel? Cruelty would be keeping him in New York with that decrepit QB and horrible roster (outside of Saquon and like 2-3 other players).

17 hours ago, Gmen said:

The Browns aren’t a good organization despite the 7 win season. And like Lebron, OBJ is too big for Cleveland. The only thing that might make it work is his friendship with Landry.

Have you ever been to Cleveland? It's really not nearly as bad as people think it is.

I've been to New York. Some of the rudest (go figure) and most self-centered people on the planet. It's overpriced, stinky, and overcrowded. There is not 1 redeeming thing about New York in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Gmen said:

The city makes far less difference for marketing than the player does. Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews have been making commercials for years. If OBJ was traded to Cleveland and became a part of the resurgent Browns, it would be as big of an impact on his advertising reach as anything I can think of. OBJ didn't get the Head and Shoulders contract because he's a Giant, he got it because he's awesome. 

52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The best view of New York City is in your rear view mirror.

It does have a beautiful skyline.

Yea nobody is going to sell me on Cleveland as an organization or a city. And I can guarantee 100% OBJ would be a malcontent and force his way out sooner than later. Don’t waste your draft picks

Follow him on social media. He spends half his time in Miami, LA or Drake’s house. He loves attention and needs a big market

Archived