Persistent OBJ trade rumors

Gmen

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kawkami wrote this in his article he just posted from The Athletic:

So more smoke in the rumors that the Giants may trade OBJ this offseason. 

So OBJ for the 2nd overall pick? No thank you. I'd rather go with one of the best defenders and get a WR day two or three.

Now if they swap 2 for 6 plus give up a 2nd then I'd consider it as the 49ers.

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

So OBJ for the 2nd overall pick? No thank you. I'd rather go with one of the best defenders and get a WR day two or three.

Now if they swap 2 for 6 plus give up a 2nd then I'd consider it as the 49ers.

No, it would 1st round swaps plus SF 2nd rounder and possibly another pick. No way will it just be OBJ for the 2nd overall pick. 

53 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

He ain’t going anywhere. 

Maybe not, but Kawakami is a respectable journalist/reporter in the Bay Area. I think it will come down to just how much you guys like Haskins. If he is THE guy the front office wants, then OBJ very well may be gone. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maybe not, but Kawakami is a respectable journalist/reporter in the Bay Area. I think it will come down to just how much you guys like Haskins. If he is THE guy the front office wants, then OBJ very well may be gone. 

I haven’t heard anything from the insiders/reporters within New York / New Jersey area and I’m much much more inclined to believe them than somebody from the Bay. And they’ve given no indication as to that even being on the table. Plus unless I’m hearing wrong it’s costs us more to trade him than to keep him 

41 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I haven’t heard anything from the insiders/reporters within New York / New Jersey area and I’m much much more inclined to believe them than somebody from the Bay. And they’ve given no indication as to that even being on the table. Plus unless I’m hearing wrong it’s costs us more to trade him than to keep him 

You're hearing wrong. You'd save 5 million in a trade. 

Just now, Acgott said:

Save 5M, but take on 16M in dead money.

You don't really "take it on". That money is going against your cap regardless of if he's there or not. If they want to make a move and it requires trading OBJ, the dead money doesn't really factor into it. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

You don't really "take it on". That money is going against your cap regardless of if he's there or not. If they want to make a move and it requires trading OBJ, the dead money doesn't really factor into it. 

True. Its 5M of useable cap and 16M of unusable cap for his 21M cap hit.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

True. Its 5M of useable cap and 16M of unusable cap for his 21M cap hit.

Exactly. That being said, I still don't believe this stuff yet. I read the article and it still seems to me that Tim is spitballing a theoretical scenario, very similar to what Glazer had said. Tim says there has been chatter at the combine about it, but doesn't really source it either...so it really just feels like some NFL guys throwing stuff out there like "yeah, i can see this type of move happening". 

I get that kind of talk - I mean, I could see a trade of OBJ to the niners for a swap of 2 and 6, and the 49ers 2020 frp (maybe other moving parts, but obviously those being the big things). That actually makes some sort of logical sense. Doesn't mean I think it's even remotely likely or anything, and I kind of feel like that's what this article and that "chatter" is...just a concept that people could see happening, but nothing behind it. 

On 3/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, Forge said:

Exactly. That being said, I still don't believe this stuff yet. I read the article and it still seems to me that Tim is spitballing a theoretical scenario, very similar to what Glazer had said. Tim says there has been chatter at the combine about it, but doesn't really source it either...so it really just feels like some NFL guys throwing stuff out there like "yeah, i can see this type of move happening". 

I get that kind of talk - I mean, I could see a trade of OBJ to the niners for a swap of 2 and 6, and the 49ers 2020 frp (maybe other moving parts, but obviously those being the big things). That actually makes some sort of logical sense. Doesn't mean I think it's even remotely likely or anything, and I kind of feel like that's what this article and that "chatter" is...just a concept that people could see happening, but nothing behind it. 

So we could pay 21 million to have him, or 15 million to not have him. I think I know which one is better.

OBJ isn't going anywhere unless we get a really, really good offer. The 2nd overall pick might be good enough. A swap + a little extra is not.

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

So we could pay 21 million to have him, or 15 million to not have him. I think I know which one is better.

OBJ isn't going anywhere unless we get a really, really good offer. The 2nd overall pick might be good enough. A swap + a little extra is not.

I don't think that a future FRP + sweeteners is "a little extra". That's solid additional compensation. The question really is more or less do they value the swap at all (and obviously they would have to really want a specific prospect, whether it's someone like Bosa who may be there, or Hasksins, or whomever). If they do value that swap, that right there is worth a first round pick in difference value. We as fans may not value it that way, but trades have shown in the past that swaps like that have value to GMs. If they don't value that swap at all, then yeah, the rest of it won't really matter. 

I doubt he gets traded, but we will know by the draft for sure. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:28 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Why? You stated the Giants O-Line was garbage so advantage Cleveland. Obviously advantage Cleveland at QB. Browns did rush for more yards and TDs than the Giants so as Candy said above, better running game. It would be cruel not to not to trade him to Cleveland.

Back last year, when the #29 Odell Uproar (in a set of 50! Collect them all!) stirred potential trade rumors and suggested offers, some deliriously-optimistic Cleveland Browns' fan (not you, @Thomas5737, you're a smart poster, humorous, and a grand fellow all-around) kept pushing an agenda of Corey Coleman this, Corey Coleman that, for Odell- Corey Coleman and a sweat-stained game-worn Greg Robinson jock strap!- laboring under the delusion that Corey Coleman (Fast! Former first-round pick! Sexy alliterative name!) was a fair exchange for Odell. Didn't of course happen, despite his many suggestions; weirdly, the Giants later acquired the peripatetic Coleman freebie and, even more strangely, he served as a good kick-returner and back-up receiver for New York. 

The delusional Browns' fan may have been right all along!!!

Image result for odell beckham

18 minutes ago, bzane said:

Back last year, when the #29 Odell Uproar (in a set of 50! Collect them all!) stirred potential trade rumors and suggested offers, some deliriously-optimistic Cleveland Browns' fan (not you, @Thomas5737, you're a smart poster, humorous, and a grand fellow all-around) kept pushing an agenda of Corey Coleman this, Corey Coleman that, for Odell- Corey Coleman and a sweat-stained game-worn Greg Robinson jock strap!- laboring under the delusion that Corey Coleman (Fast! Former first-round pick! Sexy alliterative name!) was a fair exchange for Odell. Didn't of course happen, despite his many suggestions; weirdly, the Giants later acquired the peripatetic Coleman freebie and, even more strangely, he served as a good kick-returner and back-up receiver for New York. 

The delusional Browns' fan may have been right all along!!!

Image result for odell beckham

Hard to disagree with anything that you said about me, you were tough but fair. Yeah, we all have those fans that are a bit out of touch with player value. I don't think the Giants will trade OBJ cause why would they but that doesn't mean they won't ship Coleman back for #17 overall.

Archived