Umbrella Academy - Netflix & Comic

The Gnat

Said I was watching it in the what are you watching thread, but I think this show deserves it's own thread.

The Pitch:
Umbrella Academy is a show about miracle babies who were all born on the same day, there were 40 some of them. An eccentric adopted several of them and it turned out that they had powers. They used that to fight crime, but as they got older, they all went their separate way. Now their eccentric "father" has passed away, and they are coming back for his funeral or at least those of them who are left are.

Written by Gerard Way, former signer of My Chemical Romance.

I haven't read the comics, and Amazon is sold out of it right now, to no one's surprise.

In the show I'm 2.5 episodes in.

I thought the first episode of the show was a bit slow, mainly because it was character development, but it dropped plot into the show way too late in the episode. However, in the second episode and part of a third, they are pulling off the plot and character developments at the same time.

I'm thoroughly enjoying everything about it except for the lighting.  It has some truly God-awful lighting.  Among the worst I have ever seen for a Netflix show.  It's definitely not what a lot of people will be expecting, and I think that will turn a lot of people off, but I really like it. 

The dialog is pretty terrible, the story is all over the place, and the plot holes are glaring.

With that said, I'm 7 episodes in and the premise still has me incredibly intrigued. Literally the only reason I'm riding this out until the end, at this point. I do hear it gets significantly better towards the end after we drudge through the first few introductory episodes, so here's hoping.

11 hours ago, 1claire said:

I watched this show and found myself confused as to how much I actually enjoyed it. There were characters I loved, and the characters I absolutely despised.

I kind of agree with that. Unfortunately Ellen Page can't act. And where I'm at, she seems important to the plot more than she should be.

I like:
Klaus
Luther
Number 5
Hazel

Beyond that, they aren't extremely interesting characters. I still think they spent too long getting into the plot, but I've heard it does pay off better than some at the end, so I'm curious about it.

The show really takes a turn in the last two episodes.  Not for the better, either.  Makes you really not care at all about the characters.  It has lots of potential, but the characters are just... For as different as they are, they're just not remotely likable and there isn't a single character you can really like. 

Wrapped it up over the weekend. I think they did a good job of landing it. I am assuming it'll continue in some form a year or a year and a half from now. I want more of it faster, and I'll probably be picking up the trades for it, or at least the first few to see how they are written.