Jaguars hire Dom Capers as senior defensive assistant

.Buzz

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I actually liked Dom while he was here we played some really good team D when he coordinated for the Jags back in the day. But his defenses were not that great the last 3-4 years of his tenure in GB. I just don’t know how much he can bring to the show. Sometimes an extra set of eyes can’t hurt but than again too many hands in a pot can mess up a dish I guess we’ll see.

I like it.  I'm curious to see how he'll actually fit in and what exactly he'll be responsible for here.  It seems like a bit of an odd fit schematically.  But that kind of experience has to at least be helpful in week on week gameplanning and fostering some better capacity to make in-game adjustments on the fly for Wash.  Worst case...we've got a super experienced, well respected extra set of "eyes in the sky" to feed some observations and ideas to wash.

42 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I like it.  I'm curious to see how he'll actually fit in and what exactly he'll be responsible for here.  It seems like a bit of an odd fit schematically.  But that kind of experience has to at least be helpful in week on week gameplanning and fostering some better capacity to make in-game adjustments on the fly for Wash.  Worst case...we've got a super experienced, well respected extra set of "eyes in the sky" to feed some observations and ideas to wash.

I highly doubt this hire will make a blip on the radar unless the Jags are doing astronomical numbers on defense. It’ll probably go unnoticed sort of like the Monty Kiffen hire a few years ago that brought absolutely no results.

24 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I highly doubt this hire will make a blip on the radar unless the Jags are doing astronomical numbers on defense. It’ll probably go unnoticed sort of like the Monty Kiffen hire a few years ago that brought absolutely no results.

Yeah.  Most likely.

I hope it helps with Wash's struggles in making adjustments...but more likely that not, it ends up another irrelevant footnote like Kiffin's brief stint here.

I mean, from the sounds of it...he chose this gig over an actual DC position.  So it seems likely that as a senior citizen now, he's looking for a less stressful heavy duty role, and more of a casual minor advisory deal.

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Most likely.

I hope it helps with Wash's struggles in making adjustments...but more likely that not, it ends up another irrelevant footnote like Kiffin's brief stint here.

I mean, from the sounds of it...he chose this gig over an actual DC position.  So it seems likely that as a senior citizen now, he's looking for a less stressful heavy duty role, and more of a casual minor advisory deal.

This, someone with a SB ring needs to tell Wash to put his CBs up closer

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This, someone with a SB ring needs to tell Wash to put his CBs up closer

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

I suggest more man to man then cover 3 cuz its what ramsey prefers

This is the worst Jaguars "fix" trope imo.

It's so weird.  Like...we watched this defense grow into one of the most dominant groups in the modern era.  Now because Jalen tossed a lil' tantrum out one time...we're all in on this idiotic Press Man Always concept? 

It's just bad on so many levels.  It doesn't really make sense within our defense as a whole.  It doesn't really make sense as an "everytime" cure-all because it comes with it's own set of SERIOUS liabilities.  And honestly...it's even more stupid as a thing to do because Jalen wants it.  If Jalen wants to be paid like an Elite defensive player, he can stfu and play whatever coverages he's asked to within the overall defensive concept that doesn't start with what one of the CBs wants.  If you're paying a guy that kind of money...it's because he's not only extremely good, but extremely versatile as well.  Which Jalen is.

You don't design a defense outside-in like that.  It's silly.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

This is the worst Jaguars "fix" trope imo.

It's so weird.  Like...we watched this defense grow into one of the most dominant groups in the modern era.  Now because Jalen tossed a lil' tantrum out one time...we're all in on this idiotic Press Man Always concept? 

It's just bad on so many levels.  It doesn't really make sense within our defense as a whole.  It doesn't really make sense as an "everytime" cure-all because it comes with it's own set of SERIOUS liabilities.  And honestly...it's even more stupid as a thing to do because Jalen wants it.  If Jalen wants to be paid like an Elite defensive player, he can stfu and play whatever coverages he's asked to within the overall defensive concept that doesn't start with what one of the CBs wants.  If you're paying a guy that kind of money...it's because he's not only extremely good, but extremely versatile as well.  Which Jalen is.

You don't design a defense outside-in like that.  It's silly.

Considering press man plays into our defenses strengths why should we not play the defensive coverage we are best suited for?

7 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Considering press man plays into our defenses strengths why should we not play the defensive coverage we are best suited for?

People keep acting like you have to just man up on the boundaries to even press.  You don't.  And we've run a ton of of Press-Bail Cover-3 with Jalen and Bouye and it's honestly pretty awesome for them.  It's almost tailor made for Jalen's elite skillset.

It lets him use his physicality to disrupt any short trees.  His elite fluidity, recovery speed, and deep speed to still gain his zone and make plays downfield.  And his elite instincts and ball skills to freelance a bit and come off his "man" to generate a lot of the big plays we've seen from him.  Precisely because it's not a simplistic man scheme.  Ya'll really want a scheme where the opposition can essentially just run our best player out the picture every passing down if they want to?

There have certainly been some issues with soft coverages against dink and dunk teams.  That needs to be fixed.  But those aren't the sort of protected releases where Press Man is even typically helpful at all.  It's usually detrimental against those sort of bunch formations and pick routes.  You get defenders crashing into traffic and wide open people running free as a result.  Those sorts of formations are designed to cause a cluster**** in man defenses, and confusion among zones.  Pressing the LOS aggressively in those situations often just means throwing your defensive bodies straight into the chaos.

It's a challenge, because it sucks giving up those "easy" 5 yard completions.  But most of it falls on the interior defenders LBs/NB/Safeties to negate that stuff.  Press man CBs on the boundary isn't going to stop most of those designed traffic releases.  Especially considering most of them are typically interior branches.  It's not like we're getting gashed by quick outs and WR screens.  Unless you've got a Safety/NB/LB ready to pounce...it's basically a "rally and tackle" sort of exercise though.

It's just not this simple, obvious solution like people make it out to be.  Just Press Man Always is a really really bad idea.  There's a reason multiple well-versed defensive coordinators for us haven't done this.  It's armchair defense, and it's not great imo.

My problem with the defense has more to do with the aggression of the defense and knowing when to call for pressure within situational football. The best game I’ve ever saw Wash call was the 1st Indy game in 17 at Indy.. Wash was locked in that game I thought he had a good game plan against the Pats last year as well. I understand the scheme but his ability to make in game adjustments are pathetic. It’s about to get even harder for him safety is going to be an issue next year especially if Gip is cap casualty as well as linebacker. He’s not going to be afforded the talent and depth on the dline next yr I think he is really about to be exposed next yr.

Look at the talent the Pats have on defense compared to the defensive talent of the Jags. Look at both of their performances versus the Chiefs. Flores and Beli put on a first half clinc to stifle that offense and their talent on d is barely above avg if not avg it’s sad.

Capers defense has been suspect recently,  but I'm curious if his experience as a blitz heavy DC will help our defense out as we have struggled to generate pressure at times as we rely on 4 man rushes to hit home.  Of course there's a risk/reward to blitzing too. Quite frankly maybe it's selective memory but it seems like Wash often gets caught with the perfect screen call when he dials up the blitz. 

Archived