Cardinal sign TE Charles Clay

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Clay is a downgrade from Ricky Seals-Jones. When was the last time he was good? It seems to me like all he does is drop passes, quit routes, or hang out in the medical tent.

Isn't Clay a good blocker?

He was when he was a Dolphin, at any rate. There was a time I thought he might be one of the best blocking TEs in football.

40 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He was when he was a Dolphin, at any rate. There was a time I thought he might be one of the best blocking TEs in football.

Last year he struggled blocking, but so did the entire Bills offense so it's hard to say how much he has regressed in that department, if at all.

35 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He's a decent blocker. H-back type player who can move to fullback, but that doesn't override the downside.

9 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

He's a decent blocker. H-back type player who can move to fullback, but that doesn't override the downside.

Why not?

If they put him in as a blocker instead of a receiver, I don't see the problem. Many teams carry blocking TEs that come out in certain packages that don't involve them catching the football. Cardinals have Seals-Jones for that.

49 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why not?

If they put him in as a blocker instead of a receiver, I don't see the problem. Many teams carry blocking TEs that come out in certain packages that don't involve them catching the football. Cardinals have Seals-Jones for that.

Because there's a large number of good blocking tight ends in Free agency that are younger, cheaper, and have more athletic potential. It's not that Clay is horrible as an individual player. It's just that the Cardinals front office made yet another bad decision. I don't see how Clay is an upgrade over Darren Fells or Jermaine Gresham in any way, so there's not much in way of upside. In a vacuum, not a bad choice.

Archived