Jags cut LB Audie Cole

2 hours ago, iPwn said:

Kinda odd to see a roster cut without a corresponding addition...

Normally it would be, but with the cutdown changes...it's gonna be hard for them to sift through all their treasured trash and decide who to keep as it is.

Plus, they're probably going to play starters for part of the final week of preseason like a bunch of chumps, pretending an extra bit of preseason is going to improve bad players and bad scheme.

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Maybe odd but anyone we bring in would likely be an immediate cut. Only 1 game left to play before cuts

Kicker

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We missed another opportunity. 

To me, there’s no reason not to sign one at this point. You don’t have to guarantee anything in their contract, if they’re cut, they won’t cost against the cap. No other position player is going to catch on with the team by this point. And we have a clear need to attempt to upgrade it.

If they are leaving this roster spot empty for any reason other than a trade or working on the details for Kaep’s contract, it’s absolutely stupid that they don’t bring in a Kicker. No risk in doing so. But this is the Jaguars we’re talking about.

16 minutes ago, iPwn said:

To me, there’s no reason not to sign one at this point. You don’t have to guarantee anything in their contract, if they’re cut, they won’t cost against the cap. No other position player is going to catch on with the team by this point. And we have a clear need to attempt to upgrade it.

If they are leaving this roster spot empty for any reason other than a trade or working on the details for Kaep’s contract, it’s absolutely stupid that they don’t bring in a Kicker. No risk in doing so. But this is the Jaguars we’re talking about.

It's not like you're really going to hold anything like a true "kicking competition" in 1 week anyway though.  That's the smallest of small samples to base anything on.  Especially at a position that's really more about consistency over the long-haul and averages.

So if you bring a kicker in at this point...you'd basically just be bringing them in to replace Myers as the starter based on their prior resume of NFL work.  In which case, you might as well just cut Myers and bring the new guy in and give them all the work to get them up to speed and meshing with the rest of the kicking unit before the real season starts.

Just now, Tugboat said:

It's not like you're really going to hold anything like a true "kicking competition" in 1 week anyway though.  That's the smallest of small samples to base anything on.  Especially at a position that's really more about consistency over the long-haul and averages.

So if you bring a kicker in at this point...you'd basically just be bringing them in to replace Myers as the starter based on their prior resume of NFL work.  In which case, you might as well just cut Myers and bring the new guy in and give them all the work to get them up to speed and meshing with the rest of the kicking unit before the real season starts.

My point is more just try. There’s no real downside to having someone try to earn the job. Sure, a week isn’t going to tell you much, but it’ll tell you more than just sitting on your hands and watching Myers continue to miss with no backup plan will. At worst, you’re getting an extended look as someone so if Myers goes to crap during the season, you have an idea of what else is out there, more so than an hour long workout with a guy gave. 

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

My point is more just try. There’s no real downside to having someone try to earn the job. Sure, a week isn’t going to tell you much, but it’ll tell you more than just sitting on your hands and watching Myers continue to miss with no backup plan will. At worst, you’re getting an extended look as someone so if Myers goes to crap during the season, you have an idea of what else is out there, more so than an hour long workout with a guy gave. 

I get the idea, i just don't see any upside to it...unless you're just outright replacing Myers.  To have a "competition" at this stage, it's too late...it's all downside to me.  Just cluttering up limited time remaining.

I mean, maybe you can get a small bit of familiarity with a Plan B kicker...but that's all just going to come at the expense of extra work with Myers, and added confusion with some other guys preferences and tendencies thrown into the mix.

They should have done something serious about the kicking situation back when Free Agency opened.  But that didn't happen and it seems like anything they do now would be even more of a farce than that whole "QB competition".  Detrimental at worst.  Completely pointless at best basically.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I get the idea, i just don't see any upside to it...unless you're just outright replacing Myers.  To have a "competition" at this stage, it's too late...it's all downside to me.  Just cluttering up limited time remaining.

I mean, maybe you can get a small bit of familiarity with a Plan B kicker...but that's all just going to come at the expense of extra work with Myers, and added confusion with some other guys preferences and tendencies thrown into the mix.

They should have done something serious about the kicking situation back when Free Agency opened.  But that didn't happen and it seems like anything they do now would be even more of a farce than that whole "QB competition".  Detrimental at worst.  Completely pointless at best basically.

After an entire offseason of reps with Myers, I can’t see a week’s worth of reps ruining anything. And I feel like the familiarity is the worst case scenario.

And yeah, they should have done something earlier. They should have done a lot of things. But they didn’t. So here we are.

I just feel like even if you’re right, we’re talking about worst case scenario being the worst Kicker in the league gets a little bit worse during a season that they’re already punting away. At least put some effort into trying to do something instead of constantly sitting on their hands. 

10 minutes ago, iPwn said:

After an entire offseason of reps with Myers, I can’t see a week’s worth of reps ruining anything. And I feel like the familiarity is the worst case scenario.

And yeah, they should have done something earlier. They should have done a lot of things. But they didn’t. So here we are.

I just feel like even if you’re right, we’re talking about worst case scenario being the worst Kicker in the league gets a little bit worse during a season that they’re already punting away. At least put some effort into trying to do something instead of constantly sitting on their hands. 

I agree with Pwny. Bring in a kicker. If he does well and we still just cut him at least if Myers really sucks out of the gate we know someone we can call. Doesn't hurt to call if we have a roster spot and nothing is guaranteed.