Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

Ok so I wanted to do a simply what I think or maybe hope will happen this off-season, please keep in mind i'm simply doing bigger names thats it

Resign/Extend/Restructure:

A. Cooper, this is easy resigning save's money off the current final year of his contract

D. Lawrence again a no brainer he has done all the cowboys have asked he finally get's his extension

S.Lee I see this being a small extension or just simply a pay cut

B. Jones Extension simple since the move to CB has been dominate

T. Crawford I think he will be extended to cut his cap hit

Cut:

T. Williams-No place for him after the emergence of younger players 

J. Heath-Finally

Not resigned:

D Irving the only way I see resigning him is if he takes vet min due to the pending suspension

C. Beasley will want to much money IMO for a guy we can easily replace

Free Agency:

L. Collins SS leaving X woods at FS IMO Collins would be the better fit and he's younger, also like E. Thomas, and A. Amos

G. McCoy DT huge need after losing Irving

J. James young but established TE

D. Williams T upgrade for swing tackle

Draft: 

Trade Dallas trades rd 2 pick 59 to Cleveland for Rd 3 pick 81, Rd 5 pick 157, and a 2020 rd 3 

Rd 3 pick 81 Ben Powers [ OG ] Oklahoma

Rd 3 pick 91 Andy Isabella [ WR ] Umass 

Rd 4 pick 122 Oshane Ximines [ EDGE ] Old Dominion

Rd 4 pick 137 (Comp Pick) [TE] Josh Oliver

Rd 5 pick 157 Jaquan Johnson [ S ] Miami

Rd 5 Pick 166 Rodney Anderson [RB] Oklahoma

Rd 7 pick 245 Terry Buckner [DT] Missouri

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Why would Sean Lee get an extension? He’ll probably be cut because it’ll free up $7M in cap space. Why extend a guy who’s never on the field?

Also, I don’t think Landon Collins will actually hit free agency. I think the Giants will tag him.

The reason I think Lee get's an extension is he's a great mentor to these young guys, has already stated he will be back next year and an extension or paycut save us money...

Also you're probably right on Collins so the i'd go ET or Amos

1 hour ago, Trapt37 said:

The reason I think Lee get's an extension is he's a great mentor to these young guys, has already stated he will be back next year and an extension or paycut save us money...

None of those are reasons which warrant a contract extension. Just because a guy wants to keep playing doesn’t mean you keep him when he chronically injured and when his on-field performance is declining. That’s when you release the player.

6 hours ago, Trapt37 said:

Ok so I wanted to do a simply what I think or maybe hope will happen this off-season, please keep in mind i'm simply doing bigger names thats it

A. Cooper, this is easy resigning save's money off the current final year of his contract

D. Lawrence again a no brainer he has done all the cowboys have asked he finally get's his extension

Cut:

J. Heath-Finally

Not resigned:

D Irving the only way I see resigning him is if he takes vet min due to the pending suspension

Free Agency:

L. Collins SS leaving X woods at FS IMO Collins would be the better fit and he's younger, also like E. Thomas, and A. Amos

Draft: 

Trade Dallas trades rd 2 pick 59 to Cleveland for Rd 3 pick 81, Rd 5 pick 157, and a 2020 rd 3 

Thoughts?

I'm with every one that Collins will be franchised tagged, If a safety is signed my guess it will be Earl Thomas with all the drama last season , I would love Gerald McCoy but I think the cost would be too much with the signing of Thomas maybe a few smaller signings to help fill some gaps. If Shawn Lee doesn't take a pay cut I feel he's done in Dallas his contract is too rich for the amount of time he misses due to injuries, D. Williams would be a good swing tackle. Trading all the way back into the 3rd rnd. to pick up an additional pick this year my gut feeling is it's too risky , we could target a good DT/ Safety / WR / TE / OT with pick 59th.

10 hours ago, Trapt37 said:

Cut:

J. Heath-Finally

Not resigned:

Free Agency:

Draft: 

Thoughts?

does this mean you don't want to extend Dak???

If the Boys gave Tyrone Crawford and Sean Lee an extension over Zeke, it would be so ridiculous that I think Zeke would hold out until TC. Both Crawford and Lee should be on the chopping block. 

As for the draft, I don't agree with the trade down. Going by the points value chart, it's not far off. I would hold out for a 2020 2nd.

Why did you draft an OG, when we have Williams? He should be stronger with a full off-season program. 

26 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

If the Boys gave Tyrone Crawford and Sean Lee an extension over Zeke, it would be so ridiculous that I think Zeke would hold out until TC. Both Crawford and Lee should be on the chopping block. 

As for the draft, I don't agree with the trade down. Going by the points value chart, it's not far off. I would hold out for a 2020 2nd.

Why did you draft an OG, when we have Williams? He should be stronger with a full off-season program. 

T Crawford and S Lee are simply salary cap extensions, as for the reason I took an OG, first off I'm tired off seeing a TE in the second and also we need depth on the Oline

28 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

T Crawford and S Lee are simply salary cap extensions, as for the reason I took an OG, first off I'm tired off seeing a TE in the second and also we need depth on the Oline

It makes more sense to get rid of Lee this year to save $7M and Crawford next year to save 8. You can get a lot younger and a lot cheaper at those positions and get similar production.

Also, we’ve drafted exactly one Round 2 tight end in the last ten years. It’s not necessarily my preference to use #58 on one but that’s a ridiculous reason not to.

Archived