Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

We negotiated a contract and offered a 2nd rounder. 

Any report that we are not interested is complete BS imo. 

To be fair If that trade went down I doubt the Amari Cooper trade would’ve happened because we were thinking ahead about future contract implications. I guess it’s a wait and see game right now but lately reports from out FO have barely been fluff.

Even if we are... do we really want to give him 14m/year? Are we really that close? I still feel we might be a year or two away 

2 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

To be fair If that trade went down I doubt the Amari Cooper trade would’ve happened because we were thinking ahead about future contract implications. I guess it’s a wait and see game right now but lately reports from out FO have barely been fluff.

Even if we are... do we really want to give him 14m/year ? 

Not to mention we seem to be drawing a line on the Dlaw negotiations.

8 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Even if we are... do we really want to give him 14m/year? Are we really that close? I still feel we might be a year or two away 

Given the number of safeties coming available, I doubt Dallas will feel it all that necessary to give ET $14m, instead of giving a younger and talented Tre Boston significantly lower. 

24 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Jerry Jones himself said we are shopping safeties. He also said the only thing he wants  before he dies is another superbowl. He also said he would write a $250M check right now if it meant he could win. 

This is our best chance since 2007 to win one. 

I dont believe anyone who reports we arent interested. 

24 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Not to mention we seem to be drawing a line on the Dlaw negotiations.

Earl Thomas is a better player than Dlaw. He is also asking for about 60% of what Dlaw wants.  

Though his position is less important. 

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Earl Thomas is a better player than Dlaw. He is also asking for about 60% of what Dlaw wants.  

Though his position is less important. 

There’s plenty of good safeties in the draft. I’d be more nervous about our defense without DLaw than ET.

I mean I want ET too but he or the market will need to lower his demand for the money. I’m also not a fan of putting that much cap resources into an older player coming off an injury. 

Loading up for a championship year and digging yourself into a cap hell for years without nothing to show for it is a fine line. Tough decisions I understand but I just hope we make the financially smart choice because Jerry has all the money in the world but we are in a league with a hard salary cap. 

Lets have some faith in our FO for the draft. Especially the defense. They have done an amazing job there 

Just now, canadaluvsdallas said:

There’s plenty of good safeties in the draft

There are A LOT more good DEs in the draft this year. I mean, if we are just playing the #'s game, all-pro level Safeties come around like what, once every 3 years? 

DE's of that caliber are like 3 per each draft.

(slight hyperbole)

10 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Loading up for a championship year and digging yourself into a cap hell for years without nothing to show for it is a fine line

There is a much greater chance that we get into cap hell by signing Tank to $25m/year, than signing ET3 to $14m and another DL player at $10m. Especially because Tank is going to want more GTD money. 

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

There is a much greater chance that we get into cap hell by signing Tank to $25m/year, than signing ET3 to $14m and another DL player at $10m. Especially because Tank is going to want more GTD money. 

No one here wants to give Lawrence $25M/year. I think most of us are comfortable in the 20-21 range. You can't realistically pay any non-QB more than that when you're paying Top 5 QB money, which we will be shortly.

I'm curious to see which DL player you want us to grab at $10M. I suspect the amount of cap room the Colts, Jets, Raiders, 49ers, Browns, and Bills possess, alongside those teams' and everyone else's needs for pass rushers, will push Trey Flowers, Ziggy Ansah, and Preston Smith well past that figure. You a big Za'Darius Smith fan?

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

DE's of that caliber are like 3 per each draft

And how many of those guys get taken after 50?

IIRC Justin Houston failed his Combine drug test and Frank Clark hit a woman. So how far we going back, Dumervil?

After redshirting his first year at Boise State in 2011, Thompson appeared in all 13 games, with six starts, as a redshirt freshman in 2012.[2] For the season he had 43 tackles and three interceptions. As a sophomore in 2013, he started all 13 games and recorded 63 tackles and four interceptions.[3]Thompson again started all 13 games as a junior in 2014. He recorded 71 tackles and seven interceptions and was named a second team All-American by CBSSports.com.[4][5] During his senior year in 2015, Thompson tied Eric Weddle's Mountain West Conference record for career interceptions.[6]Later in the same season, in a game against UNLV, Thompson recorded his 19th interception of his career breaking the mark set by Weddle.[7

4 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

He was good in college. Idk what his downfall has been in the pros. Guy was a 2nd rounder right?

I have no idea what happened with him. He started all 16 games for NYG in '17 and played pretty well from what I've been reading

EDIT: 

Thompson struggled to find a home in new defensive coordinator James Bettcher's scheme. Billed as a ballhawk coming out of Boise State due to his impressive tracked record creating turnovers at the collegiate level, Giants fans never saw it translate for Thompson at the NFL level. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/New-York-Giants-cuts-Darian-Thompson-121273800/

Another talented safety on the market:

I don't know how any of these guy expect to make $15M per with such a deep group.

And I dont know how in the hell Jeff Heath has survived all this.

Archived