Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

We are going to go the value route re a S.  Too many on the market to offer huge money to ET.  Factor in Lawrence plus the impending extensions for Cooper, Dak and Zeke and we have to be careful with our spend whether we are on the verge of a championship or not.  

I'll be shocked if we sign a big name.  I won't be shocked when the hysteria starts on this site though as other clubs sign big names.  Happens every year.

7 hours ago, Northland said:

We are going to go the value route re a S.  Too many on the market to offer huge money to ET.  Factor in Lawrence plus the impending extensions for Cooper, Dak and Zeke and we have to be careful with our spend whether we are on the verge of a championship or not.  

I'll be shocked if we sign a big name.  I won't be shocked when the hysteria starts on this site though as other clubs sign big names.  Happens every year.

The only thing that changes the above is how desperate is Jerry for a championship?  I saw a story where Jerry is reported to have said something to the effect of "it's been almost 30 years since our last Superbowl.  I don't have another 30.  I want to win now."  This is not meant as a criticism of Jerry but he could decide to go all in in a quest for a championship.  Of course if he does this, the pressure will really be  on Garrett.

7 hours ago, Northland said:

If that's the case, I'd like to see us go after Adrian Amos, HaHa, or maybe even Tre Boston

48 minutes ago, Northland said:

The only thing that changes the above is how desperate is Jerry for a championship?  I saw a story where Jerry is reported to have said something to the effect of "it's been almost 30 years since our last Superbowl.  I don't have another 30.  I want to win now."  This is not meant as a criticism of Jerry but he could decide to go all in in a quest for a championship.  Of course if he does this, the pressure will really be  on Garrett.

Last year we weren’t even desperate enough to grab Vaccaro or Boston at basically the minimum. I’m not really expecting us to try to bring in even a Tier 3 or 4 safety. We would clearly rather draft someone (/everyone)

32 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Last year we weren’t even desperate enough to grab Vaccaro or Boston at basically the minimum. I’m not really expecting us to try to bring in even a Tier 3 or 4 safety. We would clearly rather draft someone (/everyone)

Recent history says we go value if anything at all.  And we have to be concerned about locking up our core players.  But again how desperate is Jerry, and how big or small is our window?

So I was messing around on OTC to do a little mock offseason before legal tampering is officially open, but I'm not really feeling a whole post right now. Bottom line is it's totally doable to extend Lawrence and Cooper, cut Hurns and Heath, sign Justin Houston to a short term deal and ET/your safety of choice to a 3 year $13M+ per year deal. I'd really love to see them just go for broke this year.

Also, I was listening to the Draft Show and Dane Brugler has mentioned a couple times he wouldn't be surprised if Dallas jumped way up for Ed Oliver if he were to slide past the Falcons at 14. I'm not saying that's likely at all, but because he only fits very specific defenses, it's not impossible. If he were to slide, how opposed would everyone be to using next year's 1 to get him? I know WH already mentioned he'd only move up for a QB, but Oliver on this defense would be insane.

13 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

So I was messing around on OTC to do a little mock offseason before legal tampering is officially open, but I'm not really feeling a whole post right now. Bottom line is it's totally doable to extend Lawrence and Cooper, cut Hurns and Heath, sign Justin Houston to a short term deal and ET/your safety of choice to a 3 year $13M+ per year deal. I'd really love to see them just go for broke this year.

Also, I was listening to the Draft Show and Dane Brugler has mentioned a couple times he wouldn't be surprised if Dallas jumped way up for Ed Oliver if he were to slide past the Falcons at 14. I'm not saying that's likely at all, but because he only fits very specific defenses, it's not impossible. If he were to slide, how opposed would everyone be to using next year's 1 to get him? I know WH already mentioned he'd only move up for a QB, but Oliver on this defense would be insane.

I can’t imagine Oliver falling like that. Same for Christian Wilkins (before anyone asks). Both would be perfect fits, but I honestly don’t see either of them falling out of the Top 15. Plus, trading up from the late 2nd round would cost us a fortune. Unless we know that Houston will give us solid production for 2 more years, I’d be hard pressed to cough up yet another 1st round pick. 

Archived