Jump to content
Trapt37

Free agency plus draft thoughts

Recommended Posts

We are going to go the value route re a S.  Too many on the market to offer huge money to ET.  Factor in Lawrence plus the impending extensions for Cooper, Dak and Zeke and we have to be careful with our spend whether we are on the verge of a championship or not.  

I'll be shocked if we sign a big name.  I won't be shocked when the hysteria starts on this site though as other clubs sign big names.  Happens every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Northland said:

We are going to go the value route re a S.  Too many on the market to offer huge money to ET.  Factor in Lawrence plus the impending extensions for Cooper, Dak and Zeke and we have to be careful with our spend whether we are on the verge of a championship or not.  

I'll be shocked if we sign a big name.  I won't be shocked when the hysteria starts on this site though as other clubs sign big names.  Happens every year.

The only thing that changes the above is how desperate is Jerry for a championship?  I saw a story where Jerry is reported to have said something to the effect of "it's been almost 30 years since our last Superbowl.  I don't have another 30.  I want to win now."  This is not meant as a criticism of Jerry but he could decide to go all in in a quest for a championship.  Of course if he does this, the pressure will really be  on Garrett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Northland said:

We are going to go the value route re a S.  Too many on the market to offer huge money to ET.  Factor in Lawrence plus the impending extensions for Cooper, Dak and Zeke and we have to be careful with our spend whether we are on the verge of a championship or not.  

I'll be shocked if we sign a big name.  I won't be shocked when the hysteria starts on this site though as other clubs sign big names.  Happens every year.

If that's the case, I'd like to see us go after Adrian Amos, HaHa, or maybe even Tre Boston

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Northland said:

The only thing that changes the above is how desperate is Jerry for a championship?  I saw a story where Jerry is reported to have said something to the effect of "it's been almost 30 years since our last Superbowl.  I don't have another 30.  I want to win now."  This is not meant as a criticism of Jerry but he could decide to go all in in a quest for a championship.  Of course if he does this, the pressure will really be  on Garrett.

Last year we weren’t even desperate enough to grab Vaccaro or Boston at basically the minimum. I’m not really expecting us to try to bring in even a Tier 3 or 4 safety. We would clearly rather draft someone (/everyone)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Last year we weren’t even desperate enough to grab Vaccaro or Boston at basically the minimum. I’m not really expecting us to try to bring in even a Tier 3 or 4 safety. We would clearly rather draft someone (/everyone)

Recent history says we go value if anything at all.  And we have to be concerned about locking up our core players.  But again how desperate is Jerry, and how big or small is our window?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will prob. go for a 1 year SS while drafting one to groom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin Houston’s a free agent. Would love to get him on a 1-yr deal if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was messing around on OTC to do a little mock offseason before legal tampering is officially open, but I'm not really feeling a whole post right now. Bottom line is it's totally doable to extend Lawrence and Cooper, cut Hurns and Heath, sign Justin Houston to a short term deal and ET/your safety of choice to a 3 year $13M+ per year deal. I'd really love to see them just go for broke this year.

Also, I was listening to the Draft Show and Dane Brugler has mentioned a couple times he wouldn't be surprised if Dallas jumped way up for Ed Oliver if he were to slide past the Falcons at 14. I'm not saying that's likely at all, but because he only fits very specific defenses, it's not impossible. If he were to slide, how opposed would everyone be to using next year's 1 to get him? I know WH already mentioned he'd only move up for a QB, but Oliver on this defense would be insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

So I was messing around on OTC to do a little mock offseason before legal tampering is officially open, but I'm not really feeling a whole post right now. Bottom line is it's totally doable to extend Lawrence and Cooper, cut Hurns and Heath, sign Justin Houston to a short term deal and ET/your safety of choice to a 3 year $13M+ per year deal. I'd really love to see them just go for broke this year.

Also, I was listening to the Draft Show and Dane Brugler has mentioned a couple times he wouldn't be surprised if Dallas jumped way up for Ed Oliver if he were to slide past the Falcons at 14. I'm not saying that's likely at all, but because he only fits very specific defenses, it's not impossible. If he were to slide, how opposed would everyone be to using next year's 1 to get him? I know WH already mentioned he'd only move up for a QB, but Oliver on this defense would be insane.

I can’t imagine Oliver falling like that. Same for Christian Wilkins (before anyone asks). Both would be perfect fits, but I honestly don’t see either of them falling out of the Top 15. Plus, trading up from the late 2nd round would cost us a fortune. Unless we know that Houston will give us solid production for 2 more years, I’d be hard pressed to cough up yet another 1st round pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, D82 said:

Justin Houston’s a free agent. Would love to get him on a 1-yr deal if possible.

Like to get him on a 2-3 year deal with incentives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

I dont want anything to do with Collins. He can’t cover worth a crap

He’d probably be brought in as a SS, not FS, so the only guys he’d cover would be TEs, and he does a decent job there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×