Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

It makes more sense to get rid of Lee this year to save $7M and Crawford next year to save 8. You can get a lot younger and a lot cheaper at those positions and get similar production.

Also, we’ve drafted exactly one Round 2 tight end in the last ten years. It’s not necessarily my preference to use #58 on one but that’s a ridiculous reason not to.

I understand that thought on lee but if he takes a pay cut and we save say 4 mill it's a win win IMO same with Crawford...as for 58 honestly i'd love to see Marquise Brown fall to us but I doubt it'll happen

5 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

I understand that thought on lee but if he takes a pay cut and we save say 4 mill it's a win win IMO same with Crawford...as for 58 honestly i'd love to see Marquise Brown fall to us but I doubt it'll happen

A straight pay cut may be amenable. An extension to reduce the cap hit most likely just pushes out dead money another 2-3 years. Easier solution is just to cut bait (not till next year for Crawford though I think)

37 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Probably backup for at least 3 years, right?

It's hard for me to justify spending our first pick on a player with no clear path to a starting job in the near future.

A third rounder...  the plan would be "hope he makes the team." I can't get behind a trade back draft strategy at this point.

16 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

A third rounder...  the plan would be "hope he makes the team." I can't get behind a trade back draft strategy at this point.

I get that it's a 3rd rounder, but you still hope those guys can develop into starters sooner than later (like Maliek Collins and Michael Gallup). Drafting a 3rd round guard is drafting a guy you hope will be a career backup. Fill that role with the Joe Looney's of the world, and draft a guy who you know can give you meaningful snaps.

EDIT: I do agree in that I am not keen on a trade back plan.

11 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

If the Boys gave Tyrone Crawford and Sean Lee an extension over Zeke, it would be so ridiculous that I think Zeke would hold out until TC. Both Crawford and Lee should be on the chopping block. 

As for the draft, I don't agree with the trade down. Going by the points value chart, it's not far off. I would hold out for a 2020 2nd.

Why did you draft an OG, when we have Williams? He should be stronger with a full off-season program. 

If BPA is a OG, then we take it. Yeah Williams will come back stronger and I'm one of his supporters but we can't depend on him at this point. 

9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I get that it's a 3rd rounder, but you still hope those guys can develop into starters sooner than later (like Maliek Collins and Michael Gallup). Drafting a 3rd round guard is drafting a guy you hope will be a career backup. Fill that role with the Joe Looney's of the world, and draft a guy who you know can give you meaningful snaps.

EDIT: I do agree in that I am not keen on a trade back plan.

We’ve already wasted an entire draft on players designed to be backups and it didn’t turn out well. Some of you remember how violently angry I was immediately following that draft. At no point should we ever waste another draft pick on a guy with the sole expectation that he be a career backup.

7 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

If BPA is a OG, then we take it. Yeah Williams will come back stronger and I'm one of his supporters but we can't depend on him at this point. 

Using this logic, you would be able to justify a second round pick at guard every year into eternity, because "we can't depend on the 2nd round guard we just drafted last year".

The plan at guard is to have Martin and Williams start for at least the next 3 seasons. You fill in backups with low priced free agents or late round draft picks. Not with a pick you could otherwise use on a player who could potentially take north of 3000 snaps on their rookie deals.

10 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Using this logic, you would be able to justify a second round pick at guard every year into eternity, because "we can't depend on the 2nd round guard we just drafted last year".

The plan at guard is to have Martin and Williams start for at least the next 3 seasons. You fill in backups with low priced free agents or late round draft picks. Not with a pick you could otherwise use on a player who could potentially take north of 3000 snaps on their rookie deals.

IMO Powers is a better OG prospect anyways, which would then allow williams to be a back up, I don't feel that williams is ever going to be a starting caliber OG in the NFL

4 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

IMO Powers is a better OG prospect anyways, which would then allow williams to be a back up, I don't feel that williams is ever going to be a starting caliber OG in the NFL

C-Will looked really bad at times, like lots of rookie offensive linemen. Not everyone is gonna come out and be 23-year-old First Team All-Pro Zack Martin. We’ve been very spoiled in that regard. Even Tyron, playing at a much closer age to Williams than Martin as a rookie, gave up like 8 sacks at RT that year.

We started Williams in 12 games (including both playoff games) despite being undersized and dealing with a knee issue. They obviously still believe he can be effective. Were that not the case and we did want to replace Williams, do it by signing Roger Saffold, not by counting on another rookie picked outside of the Top 40. Most such players (especially at OL) will be horrible their first years.

6 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

Well when they drafted Williams at #50 they certainly didn't believe that, and it's hard to imagine they've changed their minds at this point.

26 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Well when they drafted Williams at #50 they certainly didn't believe that, and it's hard to imagine they've changed their minds at this point.

Williams IMO is better suited at OT and now that Colombo is the O-line coach maybe that'll change 

31 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

C-Will looked really bad at times, like lots of rookie offensive linemen. Not everyone is gonna come out and be 23-year-old First Team All-Pro Zack Martin. We’ve been very spoiled in that regard. Even Tyron, playing at a much closer age to Williams than Martin as a rookie, gave up like 8 sacks at RT that year.

We started Williams in 12 games (including both playoff games) despite being undersized and dealing with a knee issue. They obviously still believe he can be effective. Were that not the case and we did want to replace Williams, do it by signing Roger Saffold, not by counting on another rookie picked outside of the Top 40. Most such players (especially at OL) will be horrible their first years.

Powers is a stud! I've watched him at OU and he would be an instant starter!

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The plan is perfect because it is so realistic and minimizes risk from one position completely destroying our entire year.

I am a fan of Williams. I believe he will do better after this off-season. This is my optimistic thoughts of being a loyal fan.

But he hasn't shown ANYTHING yet to warrant him as a starting OG in this league. I hope we do draft one because even if he does not pan out we might have another guard who will BUT if they both pan out...Gold Money.

Also, the proof is LVE being drafted and us not depending on Jaylon coming back from his injury with little NFL experience. We didnt just sit back and HOPED J.Smith recovered but we made the ILB position SAFE with LVE & struck gold when both of them panned out.

This is how our Front office thinks & thats why we generally do well in the draft. And that is why we are a well rounded roster.

38 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

Williams IMO is better suited at OT and now that Colombo is the O-line coach maybe that'll change 

I asked you what your plan was. You said as a backup guard. Now your position is to move Williams to tackle?

I'm open to ideas that are well thought out and articulated. But no one has made an argument for a guard that doesn't come with a ton of qualifiers and what-ifs.

Archived