Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

46 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Same could be said for DT. They usually slip a bit, and this is a really deep draft there.  Pretty good chance the BPA at 58 is a TE or DL. And hey we have needs in both spots. .

Exactly. At TE and DT, you have positions that 1) are very deep in this draft, 2) tend to slip on draft day, and 3) are needs. Smart money would be on one of these positions.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

The reason TE keeps coming up is because the need yes, but also because they don't start getting drafted until later. History suggests that several good TE prospects should fall into round 2. Pretty much every elite TE in the NFL came from round 2 or 3.

History also says there are a *lot* of misses at that position relative to just a handful of difference makers. I'm not opposed, just worried that the downside (that we take a guy that isn't any better than Jarwin/Schultz out the gate and plays <200 snaps as a rookie) is greater than people make it out to be.

27 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If we want to re-sign Byron, I am less interested in CB. He'll have to beat out a quality vet to get much action before his third season. 

Fair enough. My thinking is that even if we re-sign Byron, we probably won't re-sign Brown, and Lewis could always get traded seeing as Richard doesn't seem to have much use for him. It's a bit of a stretch, but you can never have enough DEs and CBs IMO

44 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

History also says there are a *lot* of misses at that position relative to just a handful of difference makers. I'm not opposed, just worried that the downside (that we take a guy that isn't any better than Jarwin/Schultz out the gate and plays <200 snaps as a rookie) is greater than people make it out to be.

Fair. I'm not set on a TE, I just think it's likely that need meets opportunity here. At which point you should trust your eval and pull the trigger. But I wouldn't force anything.

46 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Fair enough. My thinking is that even if we re-sign Byron, we probably won't re-sign Brown, and Lewis could always get traded seeing as Richard doesn't seem to have much use for him. It's a bit of a stretch, but you can never have enough DEs and CBs IMO

I suppose this is more feasible than needing another Guard. But in my mind, Lewis is a good corner who just happens to have 3 good corners ahead of him. Spend another relatively high pick on a corner, and they are liable to fall into the same scenario behind Byron, Chido, and Lewis for a couple of seasons. In an ideal world (which the draft is not, obviously), I'd be far more interested in a CB in the late rounds this year and/or early rounds in 2020.

50 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

This makes zero sense

I am bit surprised as well. I really thought he would be cut but Stephen was chatting today and all but said they were keeping him. I guess we shall see but he didn't even attempt to hide the fact Cole might be headed out the door. I still suspect they will be targeting at least two WR and one probably in FA.

31 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I’ll brlieve it when I see it. Linehan was was coming back too at one point 

Yeah, there is almost a chance Hurns makes the team.

But we probably will keep him through training camp. He's a leader in the wide receiver room and good for our young guys to be around. They aren't going to announce that they are cutting him now.

DE definitely gets added to the list, but I don't think you have to panic and force it in the 2nd round.

DEs traditionally take time to develop, Taco and Dorance will almost certainly be the 2nd and 3rd best ones on the roster regardless, and you always have the option of Crawford.

As for Tank, we needed to re-sign him and we still need to re-sign him.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

DE definitely gets added to the list, but I don't think you have to panic and force it in the 2nd round.

DEs traditionally take time to develop, Taco and Dorance will almost certainly be the 2nd and 3rd best ones on the roster regardless, and you always have the option of Crawford.

As for Tank, we needed to re-sign him and we still need to re-sign him.

That right there is the best point made about DE post Gregory. There's no way in hell the team moves on from Crawford now. 

Gotta make a pickup or three on the DL in general between the draft and FA to fill it all out but yet again Tyrone's position flex will save him. 

Yeah the Irving situation is a non issue Gregory I think changed the draft landscape from my point of view making DL a second rd priority. I also am in the minority I guess in that I feel odds were real slim we would be able to find anTE that could actually contribute. 

Archived