Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

2 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Okay just a hypothetical, Landon Collins wants 15 million and ET wants 11 million. Do you go for the young guy for a higher price tag on a kg vet for the slightly less?? 

Depends on length of contract and guaranteed money.

I'm less worried with money down the line with Collins due to him being 5 years younger.

45 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Okay just a hypothetical, Landon Collins wants 15 million and ET wants 11 million. Do you go for the young guy for a higher price tag on a kg vet for the slightly less?? 

I get the better player for $4M less per year? Gimme

Really hope we take a look at Kevin Johnson who the Texans just released. Was a good man cover corner coming out of college and I'm curious what Richard could get out of him if he was signed. One man's trash is another man's gold.

3 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

3 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Depends on length of contract and guaranteed money.

I'm less worried with money down the line with Collins due to him being 5 years younger.

All pro/HOF caliber safeties end to age really really well. I heard that there have been 15 HOF safeties and something like ~12 of them were still getting probowls/all pros at 35 or older. 

I have no doubts we could get 4 years of HOF caliber play from ET3. He is the best FS since Ed Reed.

45 minutes ago, D82 said:

From the sounds of it...we aren't interested in Collins, Thomas or Weddle. 

I saw that. It was an anonymous to some website I wasnt familiar with, and then twitter started posting it. 

If that doesnt sound credible I dont know what does.

Oh, maybe Jerry Jones himself say that we are exploring safeties like last month. That might be a bit more credible. 

If I come off snarky, its because these twitter stories are the biggest click baity fake news crap. Every "journalist" who retweets it should be whipped in public. 

6 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Landon Collins reminds me of Roy Williams, the safety I would like to (but can never) forget.  I want a true free safety, and that's ET by a wide margin. Put him on this team and our defense is SB caliber. 

Either one of them makes us tremendously better. Landon has led the giants in tackles for the last 3 or 4 years. He was a DPOY candidate not to long ago, and both safeties have warrior leader attitudes. Landon in the box with Woods up top would be a huge upgrade over Heath in the box with Woods up top. And Woods playing Heaths spot with ET up top would be a significant upgrade as well. It's a no brainer. ET is a little better, and Landon is a little younger. I'm happy if we sign either. Very happy. Landon playing fired up against the Giants twice a year would be a huge plus.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I saw that. It was an anonymous to some website I wasnt familiar with, and then twitter started posting it. 

If that doesnt sound credible I dont know what does.

Oh, maybe Jerry Jones himself say that we are exploring safeties like last month. That might be a bit more credible. 

If I come off snarky, its because these twitter stories are the biggest click baity fake news crap. Every "journalist" who retweets it should be whipped in public. 

While this is true, it’s also true that Dallas has pretty much avoided tier 1-3 free agents like the plague in recent years. 

19 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

While this is true, it’s also true that Dallas has pretty much avoided tier 1-3 free agents like the plague in recent years. 

Were not afraid to go after other teams guys if we fall in love. We traded for Cooper. We tried like hell to trade for ET3. We signed Hardy, Brandon Carr. Im sure there are others I am missing. 

But our current line up is largely 100% home grown talent. 

Brandon carr was signed nearly a decade ago, and has been used as a primary example to steer us away from FA. Hardy was not a tier 1 FA. He was a tier 1 talent, but off field issues caused him to linger unsigned until we finally pulled the trigger, and I cant imagine we had much competition for him. We have traded for Amari, and toyed with ET. But other than guys like Nolan Carrol and Stephan Paea we really don't do FA. 

ET or Collins would be our biggest FA signing since Carr in 2012.

Archived