Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

9 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Keep this in mind as well: signing Eifert would all but guarantee that we wouldn’t draft a TE in April because there won’t be enough room on the roster to carry another one. Do you really want to reserve a spot for a guy who averages 7 games a season?

What if you could sign Eifert with no or very low guaranteed money? We've signed FA's quite a few times who haven't made the roster or made it through the season. Then you could still draft a tight end if the draft dictates it, and then move on from Eifert if he doesn't look great in camp.

6 hours ago, Northland said:

Plan I'm well aware of his injury history - I looked it up yesterday  Yet as soon as he got hurt last season I said to one of my boys he will be available, he will be cheap, and he will be a big upgrade.  It's a big risk, but he's  a huge upgrade.  Sometimes you go on a gut feel.  The key is signing him to a cost effective prove it deal.  

You know I’m not challenging that at all. It’s just my paranoia with guys with injury histories.

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What if you could sign Eifert with no or very low guaranteed money? We've signed FA's quite a few times who haven't made the roster or made it through the season. Then you could still draft a tight end if the draft dictates it, and then move on from Eifert if he doesn't look great in camp.

That would be my approach if push came to shove, but I don’t see us doing that given the position itself. If we’re still set on keeping Rico, who gets cut? Jarwin isn’t going anywhere, and I don’t think Schultz is, either. That leaves Swaim being shown the door, but we’d be carrying 5 TEs on the roster: Eifert, Jarwin, Rico, Schultz, and a draft pick. Teams very rarely carry more than 4 TEs.

If we’re fine with cutting Rico, then I think that scenario is sensible, but we’d still be encouraged to draft a TE who could play right away just in case Eifert gets hurt again.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

That would be my approach if push came to shove, but I don’t see us doing that given the position itself. If we’re still set on keeping Rico, who gets cut? Jarwin isn’t going anywhere, and I don’t think Schultz is, either. That leaves Swaim being shown the door, but we’d be carrying 5 TEs on the roster: Eifert, Jarwin, Rico, Schultz, and a draft pick. Teams very rarely carry more than 4 TEs.

If we’re fine with cutting Rico, then I think that scenario is sensible, but we’d still be encouraged to draft a TE who could play right away just in case Eifert gets hurt again.

I assume we'll let Swaim walk in free agency. He's coming off injury and there isn't much he can do that Schultz and Jarwin can't.

As for Rico, I've assumed they would be very willing to walk away from that experiment if the roster composition dictated it.

So you'd have Eifert, Jarwin, and Schultz going into the draft. It would allow you not to force something at TE during the draft. If you land a good one (Sternberger?), let everyone fight it out for snaps in the preseason. If Eifert doesn't look dominant, cut him, and you are no worse off. If he does look good, then great, your team is better for it.

If Eifert doesn't prevent the staff from drafting a talented rookie (if one is available) then I would much rather go in to draft day with him on the roster. That way if there isn't a solid TE prospect available in round 2, I won't feel so bad about not getting one. If there is one available, then Eifert shouldn't prevent us from pulling the trigger.

I do however doubt this staff would make a TE the first pick of the draft if we signed Eifert seeing how we spent a 4th on Schultz just last year, and are finally seeing returns from Jarwin. With Eifert, Jarwin, Schultz, and Rico if we need him, I see the staff looking the other way in round 2.

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If Eifert doesn't prevent the staff from drafting a talented rookie (if one is available) then I would much rather go in to draft day with him on the roster. That way if there isn't a solid TE prospect available in round 2, I won't feel so bad about not getting one. If there is one available, then Eifert shouldn't prevent us from pulling the trigger.

Personally I don't want to draft a TE, there are to many young ones in FA and I definitely don't want to draft one in the second round we have more pressing needs

1 minute ago, Trapt37 said:

Personally I don't want to draft a TE, there are to many young ones in FA and I definitely don't want to draft one in the second round we have more pressing needs

More pressing needs? It's arguably our weakest position group on paper and we have a TE dependent QB.

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

More pressing needs? It's arguably our weakest position group on paper and we have a TE dependent QB.

Yes more pressing needs...DT, OG, OT, S, CB, WR those top TE, because we have 2 good TE's and can sign 1 for relatively inexpensive in FA

26 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

Yes more pressing needs...DT, OG, OT, S, CB, WR those top TE, because we have 2 good TE's and can sign 1 for relatively inexpensive in FA

You could argue DT, and Safety. They are the perpetual weak spots on our roster. Every single year it's DT and Safety. But Collins, Woods, and Crawford are all coming back I bet, and I want us to sign ET or Landon or someone because the safety FA market is 10x better than the TE market.

After that you have no case.

OG? What? You want us to spend a 2nd round pick #58 on a LG because last years 2nd round pick #50 didn't go all-pro as a rookie? But this next 2nd round pick 8 spots further back definitely will right? Or are you fed up with Zack Martin being near perfect?

OT? Tyron Smith is still young and under contract. He is also still elite despite what certain Cowboys fans think. Sure he gets banged up from time to time but that's no reason to dump PFFs highest graded pass blocker in the league. Yes Collins is running out of his contract and the debates shall rage as to whether he will get another deal in Dallas, but he is an above average OT(top 32 overall OT according to PFF). There "could be" a need at RT if we choose to part ways with him "next year" but there is a need at TE right now. So I don't see how Collins' future replacement is a more pressing need than our starting TE this year.

CB? WTH? Lol We have the highest rated CB in the league, Byron Jones with an underrated Chido next to him. Chido btw was, you guessed it, a 2nd round pick. We also have Anthony Brown, Jourdon Lewis, a position flexible Xavier Woods, and all have flashed potential. CB is not only less pressing than TE, but it's not even a need at all. 

And WR? We traded our 1st round pick for Amari, spent our 3rd round pick last year on Gallup, and now you want to spend our 2nd on a WR? Okay, I'm down. Because I love WRs. Especially Nkeal Harry. But whatever. TE/WR we need recieving options.

Lastly, We don't have "two good TEs on the roster." Not sure which two you'd even be talking about of the 4.

6 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

OG is not going to be on the radar. The top 3 guys are under 30 and under contract thru at least upcoming season. Given their history, DT won't be on the radar until at least the 4th rd. 

I'd be willing to bet with the high capital spent on WR over the last yr, it is going be lower on Dallas radar than people expect. 

4 minutes ago, Ace5 said:

I just kind of assumed that Uncle Rico was going to be cut in training camp. You guys seriously still have hope for him? Id sign eifert and go BPA all day. If its a TE its a TE. If not then it's not. 

Most people assumed he would be cut last training camp... right @BobbyBelt? We were told that Rico has zero fans on the staff. Guess those zero fans came through clutch on cut days

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I assume we'll let Swaim walk in free agency. He's coming off injury and there isn't much he can do that Schultz and Jarwin can't.

As for Rico, I've assumed they would be very willing to walk away from that experiment if the roster composition dictated it.

So you'd have Eifert, Jarwin, and Schultz going into the draft. It would allow you not to force something at TE during the draft. If you land a good one (Sternberger?), let everyone fight it out for snaps in the preseason. If Eifert doesn't look dominant, cut him, and you are no worse off. If he does look good, then great, your team is better for it.

If the front office agrees with us that Rico is expendable, then I’d be on board with your idea.

Archived