Free agency plus draft thoughts

Trapt37

14 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

You could argue DT, and Safety. They are the perpetual weak spots on our roster. Every single year it's DT and Safety. But Collins, Woods, and Crawford are all coming back I bet, and I want us to sign ET or Landon or someone because the safety FA market is 10x better than the TE market.

After that you have no case.

OG? What? You want us to spend a 2nd round pick #58 on a LG because last years 2nd round pick #50 didn't go all-pro as a rookie? But this next 2nd round pick 8 spots further back definitely will right? Or are you fed up with Zack Martin being near perfect?

OT? Tyron Smith is still young and under contract. He is also still elite despite what certain Cowboys fans think. Sure he gets banged up from time to time but that's no reason to dump PFFs highest graded pass blocker in the league. Yes Collins is running out of his contract and the debates shall rage as to whether he will get another deal in Dallas, but he is an above average OT(top 32 overall OT according to PFF). There "could be" a need at RT if we choose to part ways with him "next year" but there is a need at TE right now. So I don't see how Collins' future replacement is a more pressing need than our starting TE this year.

CB? WTH? Lol We have the highest rated CB in the league, Byron Jones with an underrated Chido next to him. Chido btw was, you guessed it, a 2nd round pick. We also have Anthony Brown, Jourdon Lewis, a position flexible Xavier Woods, and all have flashed potential. CB is not only less pressing than TE, but it's not even a need at all. 

And WR? We traded our 1st round pick for Amari, spent our 3rd round pick last year on Gallup, and now you want to spend our 2nd on a WR? Okay, I'm down. Because I love WRs. Especially Nkeal Harry. But whatever. TE/WR we need recieving options.

Lastly, We don't have "two good TEs on the roster." Not sure which two you'd even be talking about of the 4.

Well i'm probably gonna be hated for the comments I'm about to make but here goes, I don't want to draft a TE in the second unless the top rated TE falls to us other than that it's a waste, yes I want to draft a OG, DT, S, CB, or WR in the second round, I also don't want to pay Dak or Zeke top dollar it's not worth it...

Yes I said CB, B. Jones is in the last year of his contract, as is A Brown and you can always improve there

yes Tyron Smith is under contract but he has gotten injured alot as of late...and there are some stud OT's in this draft

OG? What? You want us to spend a 2nd round pick #58 on a LG because last years 2nd round pick #50 didn't go all-pro as a rookie? But this next 2nd round pick 8 spots further back definitely will right? Or are you fed up with Zack Martin being near perfect? First of all I have no problem w Z. Martin, and second C. Williams sucked, I'm not asking him to be an all-pro or even elite but he sucked per PFF his grade was 57.3

Yes WR because we need somebody to replace Beasley

and again I don't expect these all in the 2nd round obviously, but IMO they are more pressing than TE

as for the TE's as of right now we have Schultz(who we drafted last year), Jarwin(who showed something at the end of last season, and Gathers...and when guys like james jones who is 25 and t. Eifert who is 28 available draft capital can be better spent

52 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

Yes more pressing needs...DT, OG, OT, S, CB, WR those top TE, because we have 2 good TE's and can sign 1 for relatively inexpensive in FA

I wouldn't necessarily list all of those spots but I sort of agree with what you're saying, in the sense that I think overall depth issues/lack of contingencies for a number of stars (esp. on defense) are more likely to undo our season next year than Jarwin and Schultz sucking.

13 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

C. Williams sucked, I'm not asking him to be an all-pro or even elite but he sucked per PFF his grade was 57.3

The questionable PFF stuff aside, he's was a 21 yr old rookie, learning a new position, with 2 OL coaches who teach completely different techniques. This is on top of playing strength issues that everyone knew existed from the start.

This seems like a pretty quick trigger finger for a talent like Williams. I'd bet the farm there is zero chance OG is going to be on the Dallas radar. 

12 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

The questionable PFF stuff aside, he's was a 21 yr old rookie, learning a new position, with 2 OL coaches who teach completely different techniques. This is on top of playing strength issues that everyone knew existed from the start.

This seems like a pretty quick trigger finger for a talent like Williams. I'd bet the farm there is zero chance OG is going to be on the Dallas radar. 

Give Williams a chance next to fredbeard after an off-season in the weight room. You don't give up on a 2nd rounder after one year.

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

After reading these opinions. It seems like Eifert is the TE version of Sean Lee. Yet almost no one wants Lee, and many want Eifert..

Injuries happen and at the right price I want Lee to backup our youngsters. I wonder what the market will be for Eifert.

Everyone wanted Lee when he was 28.

6 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I wouldn't necessarily list all of those spots but I sort of agree with what you're saying, in the sense that I think overall depth issues/lack of contingencies for a number of stars (esp. on defense) are more likely to undo our season next year than Jarwin and Schultz sucking.

You get to average ~$3M/year per player on your roster. 

Every team has this issue. Losing a player you pay a lot of money is brutal. You can’t have stud backups everywhere. And sacrificing your actual rotation for backups you hope never play is not good roster building in my opinion.

11 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

After reading these opinions. It seems like Eifert is the TE version of Sean Lee. Yet almost no one wants Lee, and many want Eifert..

Injuries happen and at the right price I want Lee to backup our youngsters. I wonder what the market will be for Eifert.

I think everyone would take Lee back at a discounted price. But with less play and a lot less playing time, is that what Lee wants?

56 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I think everyone would take Lee back at a discounted price. But with less play and a lot less playing time, is that what Lee wants?

I agree, I still want Lee. But not at his current cap hit given our current LB situation. If we already had a pro bowl TE, I wouldn't want Eifert at all. Even now, I'd only take him on a short term, low guarantee deal.

10 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You get to average ~$3M/year per player on your roster. 

Every team has this issue. Losing a player you pay a lot of money is brutal. You can’t have stud backups everywhere. And sacrificing your actual rotation for backups you hope never play is not good roster building in my opinion.

I'm just saying, if Jarwin and Schultz *are* your 2nd and 3rd TEs (even if your first is as much of a longshot as Eifert), that's of much less concern to me than our depth situation on defense right now.

Our DT and S problems are well covered, those are clearly situations to monitor. You can't spend a Top 100 pick to back up Smith and Vander Esch, that should sort itself out in FA. DE and CB are the curious ones to me. I'd like to believe in Randy and Taco should something happen to Lawrence, and I'd like to believe in Chido, Brown, and Lewis should something happen to Byron, but... I'm not quite there. We really benefited from having D-Law, Jones, Jaylon, and LVE available for 16 games each, that's for sure.

What I really mean is, if you're sitting in Rounds 2-4, deliberating the TE position and other means to improve your passing game, and some scout or contingency of scouts come in pounding the table for this DE, or CB, or OT... you kind of have to listen, despite immediate need or lack thereof, right? Hitting on one of those positions in that range is a coup.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

What I really mean is, if you're sitting in Rounds 2-4, deliberating the TE position and other means to improve your passing game, and some scout or contingency of scouts come in pounding the table for this DE, or CB, or OT... you kind of have to listen, despite immediate need or lack thereof, right? Hitting on one of those positions in that range is a coup.

That's the thing. We don't have a first round pick or even an early 2nd round pick. We can't really afford to get picky about what position the BPA plays at #58. Seeing that there are only 16-20 real first round prospects every year, the chances of us nabbing one at 58 are slim. We can't get pigeonholed in a DT or TE, because we pick to low and need to clean up the scraps regardless of position. 

The reason TE keeps coming up is because the need yes, but also because they don't start getting drafted until later. History suggests that several good TE prospects should fall into round 2. Pretty much every elite TE in the NFL came from round 2 or 3.

Same could be said for DT. They usually slip a bit, and this is a really deep draft there.  Pretty good chance the BPA at 58 is a TE or DL. And hey we have needs in both spots. 

But we won't draft a guard to replace William's in round 2.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

You should always strongly consider the best player available. But there has to be a plan and a legitimate path to snaps at some point early(ish) in their careers. 

A good DE prospect could see 500 snaps as a rookie. An OT could see 1100 in his second season. Those things intrigue me a lot.

If we want to re-sign Byron, I am less interested in CB. He'll have to beat out a quality vet to get much action before his third season. 

Archived