Dave Cameron Signs Manny Machado for ~$300MM/10 years

ramssuperbowl99

teams get smarter by not giving out monster contracts like candy and all of a sudden its evidence of collusion. Theres no real evidence mind you, just the end result of guys not getting 10 year, 25+ million contracts where we have numerous examples of those not ending up well for teams. Pujols, Cabrera, Cespedes... i can go on and on. Its just not smart to give out those contracts, its certainly not unreasonable to think teams realize that on their own. 

I really wish there was some actual evidence so we can form educated opinions instead of blindly lobbing allegations. 

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

If he were white these would be gritty, hard-nosed, old-fashioned plays.

I dont see it. He tried to elude a tag, fell backwards and got all pissed off - for no reason that I can see. The 3rd baseman put his glove on him - didnt push him over.  I dont see what he's pissed off about.

SI:

Let’s discuss the “free agent is broken” narrative and the “one-third of the teams are tanking” canard. Just one day after players association chief Tony Clark wickedly called out teams for not trying to justify the cost of a ticket, a low-revenue team without a winning team in six years under its current ownership just spent $300 million on a guy called out as a dirty player and who projects as Ryan Zimmerman with a better glove.

By signing Manny Machado, the San Doegp Padres have invested $527 million in Will Myers, Eric Hosmer and Machado, the last two of which have been signed in February.

Free agency isn’t broken. It’s been recalibrated. The speed of the game has made older players less valuable than they have been in a generation. Ten years ago players 25 and under and players 33 and older started virtually the same number of games. Now the younger guys start more than twice as many games as the the older guys. A huge part of the appeal of Machado, 26, is that the Padres are buying his best years.

The other recalibration has come in the timing of the baseball calendar. Later is the new normal. It reduces emotion and an auction atmosphere from huge investments and complicated terms. Because teams didn’t rush to wine and dine Bryce Harper and Machado, media and players jumped on the “free agency is broken” theory, as if writing their movie reviews before the flick was even finished. Now you’ll probably see Harper sign for even more than $300 million with the Phillies, another team without a winning record over the past six years.

Machado, for all the complaints about being unsigned for so long, did really well for someone who revealed himself in postseason play with his reckless play and lack of hustle. Here’s what the signing means for the Padres: a big expenditure like this makes perfect sense for San Diego based on where it is on the winning curve. But the risk is choosing Machado to be your franchise player.

San Diego has what may be the most loaded farm system in baseball and, other than with Myers and Hosmer, almost no other money committed long term. “I think it’s a good fit,” said one baseball executive. “The quality of the player and the timing with respect to their prospects makes a lot more sense than the Hosmer and Myers decisions.”

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

If he were white these would be gritty, hard-nosed, old-fashioned plays.

How is throwing his bat on the field a hard nosed play? lol 

Machado himself said he would never be "Johnny Hustle". He's just not that type of player regardless of skin color

On 2/19/2019 at 6:04 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

...are you serious?

We have had historically 5 to 7 teams year over year go file and trial. And now overnight it becomes all 30* (note that the Rockies settled with Arenado after), and you're asking why someone might consider that evidence that teams are talking about their player negotiation strategy to one another? 

And the Arenado extension wipes out that settlement. The file and trial change is now all 30 teams. 

If anyone has a good explanation for that, I'd love to hear it.

59 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And the Arenado extension wipes out that settlement. The file and trial change is now all 30 teams

Huh?  The Cubs have only gone to one arbitration hearing since Theo took over in 2011.  

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

Huh?  The Cubs have only gone to one arbitration hearing since Theo took over in 2011.  

It's a rumor that Rosenthal and a few others reported, but the MLBPA was under the impression that every single team went to the file and trial approach. The results bare that out too - every single player that submitted a number went to a hearing or signed an extension except for Arenado. 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's a rumor that Rosenthal and a few others reported, but the MLBPA was under the impression that every single team went to the file and trial approach. The results bare that out too - every single player that submitted a number went to a hearing or signed an extension except for Arenado

Ah, gotcha.  If it got to the point of submitting numbers, there was no more negotiating.  

6 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Ah, gotcha.  If it got to the point of submitting numbers, there was no more negotiating.  

Yep that's what file and trial means. Historically only small market teams did it. We beat it to death in this thread, but this fits with my theory that teams colluded and decided they would do this as a group. Arenado was the outlier beforehand.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And the Arenado extension wipes out that settlement. The file and trial change is now all 30 teams. 

most importantly, it doesnt prove anything.

secondly, how many teams had analytics departments the size that that they do now 10 years ago? by your backwards logic because they all do it this way now must means they got together a d agreed on doing it instead of figuring it out on their own. if the rays were sharing their innformation all along id love to hear it though.

also there were more teams using the "file and trial" approach a few years ago then you said.

Archived