OBJ Traded to Browns for spare change

Acgott

2 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

What are you talking about?  I've brought up Beckham's salary numerous times.   That's the only reason why I think we should have even traded him.  Why would we trade him if he was making 6 million a year?

What i mean is that we’re talking about the value of a WR and it’s impact on winning.

I have met Odell personal through a mutual friend. Hes a great guy and great football player but he did a lot a things that weren't great.  Penalties,dropped balls, leaving the field early for a so called IV. I will miss him but I'm a Giants fan first not Odell fan.  I rather get guys that care for a team not just himself.  

4 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

I see everyone giving the giant receivers credit but nothing about Eli being great.  Eli has well over 50k yards passing so maybe he deserves alittle more credit.  Remember Steve Smith how he had over 100 receptions and the giants let him go.  How was he after that.  The o-line wasnt the most talented but they got the job done.  The pass rush was lethal with that nascar package.  

Youre kidding right? Steve Smith had major microfracture surgery. That’s why he went from 100 receptions to being an afterthought. 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

What i mean is that we’re talking about the value of a WR and it’s impact on winning.

I understand that, but a WR being paid 20 million a year and a WR being paid 7 million a year are two different things. WR is very low down on the positional value chart.  There's a reason they're usually not take extremely high in drafts

45 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

I understand that, but a WR being paid 20 million a year and a WR being paid 7 million a year are two different things. WR is very low down on the positional value chart.  There's a reason they're usually not take extremely high in drafts

When you have a talent like OBJ you’re gonna have to pay him and in this particular case his contract was hardly crippling, hence why there is talk of him bumping up his deal. With the salary cap increasing that contract was gonna look more and more fair. this goes back to my point, we could’ve been doing this rebuilding of the trenches with Odell. And I don’t know what you’re talking about WRs not going high in drafts. In 2017 two went in the top 10. In 2015 two went top 10. In 2014, two in top 10. Teams still value it. Last year and 2016 just didn’t have the talent to warrant high picks

9 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

Cant give Eli alittle credit Nygiantsman10.  Smith still played in the NFL after the injury.  Smith was average at best

Eli’s credits ends in about 2013. Since then he’s been average or below average while getting paid like a top QB. I don’t see how you can talk about OBJ doing things that weren’t great when Eli took a check down over a wide open TD about 10-15 times last year.  I will always appreciate what Eli has done but I’m not going to bank on him being an above average QB anymore. 

I concur that Eli's declining accuracy and ability to read the field has affected OBJ. In fact.. I still blame Eli for that OBJ injury that I agree with GMEN has slowed him a bit since. Guys like OBJ who will go up and get anything are extremely exposed when the QB throws an errant ball, which we all know Eli does ALOT. So many times I saw him have to contort and make spectacular grabs when he was wide open on something that was clearly errant. I love Eli for what he's accomplished while here but his ship has long sailed and I truly hope this is his last season. Please retire and go enjoy the good life with your bro.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:19 AM, Shockey1979 said:

I concur that Eli's declining accuracy and ability to read the field has affected OBJ. In fact.. I still blame Eli for that OBJ injury that I agree with GMEN has slowed him a bit since. Guys like OBJ who will go up and get anything are extremely exposed when the QB throws an errant ball, which we all know Eli does ALOT. So many times I saw him have to contort and make spectacular grabs when he was wide open on something that was clearly errant. I love Eli for what he's accomplished while here but his ship has long sailed and I truly hope this is his last season. Please retire and go enjoy the good life with your bro.

With Baker's touch and accuracy, I am going to bet on Odell putting up 20 TDs if he plays all 16 games next year.

Hakeem Butler or A.J. Brown would be nice pickups in the second round. Nobody is going to replace OBJ immediately, but it would be nice to have a young high ceiling receiver to help fill the void

When Gettleman says “we got an offer we couldn’t refuse” he actually believes it. The asking price from us supposedly was two firsts. Gettleman thinks we actually got that with #17 and Peppers. In that essence he thinks we got a mid 1st, a late first and a late 3rdfor a game-breaking talent. My goodness help me. Viewing Peppers as that second first you wanted is so dumbbbb.

Archived