OBJ Traded to Browns for spare change

Acgott

On 3/13/2019 at 8:20 AM, Gmen said:

Yea sure. If only there were some sort of event in late April where teams were able to acquire young players... if only...

Yeah, I think that's really the only way this deal can be looked at. When the Giants said they were going to ride with Eli last year, I think they honestly believed he could bounce back and be exceptional for a couple of years--with that improved running game. I think when Eli then turned in sort of a middling season, they decided it was time to move on, and they didn't want OBJ anywhere near a young QB for these next two or three seasons.

I'm still sold on Rosen. If the Cards are indeed going with Murray at #1, something that would excite me as a Giants fan would be the possibility of getting Rosen without giving up a first round pick. 

Not sure where to post this don’t see a draft topic.. but I’m doing an official FF mock where every subforum makes their pick. Can you guys put in your selection for me?

We’ve got 

1) Kyler Murray

2) Nick Bosa

3) Josh Allen

4) Quinnen Williams

5) Devin White

8 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

It's not that we "couldn't rebuild with Odell" it's more that I understand why he would make this move to attain the pieces they did. In the end when you look at both trades together you traded Vernon and OBJ for a stud G, and young potentially stud S, a 1st and a 3rd that can be used to attain your next franchise QB, and a stud pass rusher or RT. I never said OBJ was "replaceable" I said elite WR's and RB's aren't core components you build around. They don't produce winning franchises. Put another way...you don't need an elite WR to win games. You need strong protection for your passer, and the ability to get after the other teams passer. We lack both of those things. Was trading OBJ "necessary" to obtain those? Maybe not. But if the end result here produces a winning formula then it was a good sacrifice to make. If it doesn't then a couple of years from now we can officially crucify DG. But for now we have to wait and see what the end game is.

I have no issue with the Vernon trade honestly, that’s a good trade for both sides. We’re at no.6, for us to move up to potentially get a franchise QB we shouldn’t have to trade our best player to do that. Odell is a player that we should be using to help a young QB. You don’t get rid of rare talents period. 

No single position, even QB, helps you win. It’s a collective. You say Elite WRs don’t produce winning franchises which isn’t saying much. They also don’t produce losing franchises. You could say this about every position. Ask Joe Thomas, ask Aaron Donald, ask Khalil Mack etc. We had a receiver who literally could score on from anywhere on the field. That’s rare. 

I agree we lack in the trenches but my point is that those could’ve been addressed with Odell. Odell wasn’t holding us back from that. If we all of a sudden we start winning, it won’t be because of this trade. We were gonna have the cap space next year anyway withEli coming off the books and Jackrabbit.

6 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

Yea I haven't seen any reports about better offers being turned down. Got a source there Kip?

It’s what I heard from John Middlekauf eco said from people he spoke to around the league that they had better offers. And I don’t see that as illogical. I could very well see the circumstance that the Giants didn’t wanna trade in conference even though they had better offers 

38 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

It’s what I heard from John Middlekauf eco said from people he spoke to around the league that they had better offers. And I don’t see that as illogical. I could very well see the circumstance that the Giants didn’t wanna trade in conference even though they had better offers 

Got it...no source. Just heresy. Back to my ignore list you go.

https://gbnreport.com/what-next-for-giants/

“A couple of other points regarding the Odell trade. Don’t know if it played a part, but it was hard not to get the felling last fall that Odell still wasn’t really 100% from the previous year’s injury. The quickness was still there, the explosion was still there, but you just didn’t see the long speed and the ability to run away from coverage.”

I’m glad at least someone else noticed this. This is the real reason I’m not upset with the trade. I feel like he’s already lost half a step.  And he ended the season with yet another leg injury...

7 hours ago, Gmen said:

https://gbnreport.com/what-next-for-giants/

“A couple of other points regarding the Odell trade. Don’t know if it played a part, but it was hard not to get the felling last fall that Odell still wasn’t really 100% from the previous year’s injury. The quickness was still there, the explosion was still there, but you just didn’t see the long speed and the ability to run away from coverage.”

I’m glad at least someone else noticed this. This is the real reason I’m not upset with the trade. I feel like he’s already lost half a step.  And he ended the season with yet another leg injury...

Is there any verifiable proof showing that to be case? Like film? Because Odell did not look like he lost a step at all to me 

20 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Is there any verifiable proof showing that to be case? Like film? Because Odell did not look like he lost a step at all to me 

No there probably isn’t verifiable proof. That’s why I’m pointing out that I’m not the only one to notice. But if you want to bust out a video editor and take some measurements, I’d really appreciate it. And you’d probably make a lot more Giants fans less upset about the trade

Reading comprehension seems to be something you’re bad at. Do you even know who John Middlekauf is? He’s a former scout who has ties in the league and said that he spoke to some people in the league saying that this Browns offer wasn’t offer. No different than people now believing we aren’t in for Haskins because of Dianna Russinis conversations. Somebody saying Odell is still explosive as ever, still quick as ever but can’t run by people makes little sense and there was no indication of that given how he was running by defenders all year but a certain QB couldn’t get him the ball.  You will hear at some point, as it always happens, another report will say so that an offer was made just like literally a year later we found out that apparently the Pats wanted Odell.

6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Reading comprehension seems to be something you’re bad at. Do you even know who John Middlekauf is? He’s a former scout who has ties in the league and said that he spoke to some people in the league saying that this Browns offer wasn’t offer. No different than people now believing we aren’t in for Haskins because of Dianna Russinis conversations. Somebody saying Odell is still explosive as ever, still quick as ever but can’t run by people makes little sense and there was no indication of that given how he was running by defenders all year but a certain QB couldn’t get him the ball.  You will hear at some point, as it always happens, another report will say so that an offer was made just like literally a year later we found out that apparently the Pats wanted Odell.

Maybe this is what he was talking about:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826053-49ers-rumors-sf-was-engaged-in-odell-beckham-trade-talks-no-2-pick-discussed

Archived