Thoughts on Cousins

patriotsheatyan

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I don't think he is that over paid, he is a quarterback who is very good on his day. 

He has done a great job to maximize his value. 

The biggest concern is that he rarely has good days against playoff caliber teams. His record against winning teams is dreadful. Just seems like he shuts down and is ineffective when his team needs him to have a big game, there's been two cases of a win and in playoff scenario where he didn't show up.

I think getting an OL will help, then again, he had a great one in Washington. 

I do like his ability to throw the ball and he's got a very good arm, just seems like there are some short comings in terms of pocket awareness and ability to consistently show up against a quality opponent. 

When you pay a QB like what the Vikes paid Cousins, you have to expect more than getting a mediocre QB. The Vikes essentially devoted two significant resources (let's say 2 $14 million contracts) to a QB that has a questionable track record.

9 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Do you feel the same about Carr though, or do you view him in a different light?  Honest question since people seem to echo the same sentiments about Carr over the last 2 seasons since he got paid

I think Carr is vastly overpaid but not overrated anymore. Most people think he sucks now, which isn't true. Similarly to Cousins, they are mid-tier starting QB's on bad contracts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Which of these guys will still be a viking in 2021 ?

Cousins or Zimmer or both or neither ?

Cousins deal is through 2020, Zimmer's deal is up after 2019 season

You can throw Rick Spielman in there too. 

If the Vikes miss the playoffs in 2019, it would be hard to justify bringing Spielman back. As for Zimmer, it's definitely hard to say. 

I'd think that they would clean house at that point but Cousins would probably survive and start in 2020 given his contract. But that wouldn't necessarily stop the Vikes from drafting a QB early in the 2020 draft. 

If the Vikes make the playoffs, Zimmer and Spielmam are probably both getting an extension. If the Vikes don't win in the playoffs, Id guess that Cousins becomes the scapegoat and the Vikes draft a new QB in 2020/2021.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2019 at 5:06 AM, patriotsheatyan said:

His contract seems to have become a punch line.

1: Can he change that narrative?

2: What are the odds he will?

3: What do you think of the contract a year removed?

4: What do you think of him overall as a starting QB?

5: Other?

1) He's a decent QB, not elite, but decent. He needs to have a real deep run in the play-offs before a narrative changes though. He's certainly better than Tannehill and Stafford, though, who are on similarly big money so wouldn't say he's the worst value for money QB in the league either. 

2) Already been mentioned, if Vikings can improve their OL then the odds get better. He needs to prove himself against teams with winning records as that record hangs over him.

3) Contract was too big, but it's not Cousins fault. He's got a great agent. Vikings will probably wish they didn't go so hard, but he's got the ability to make up for it.

4) He's good enough to be a starting QB for a good team, no doubt about it. 

• Like 4

On 2/20/2019 at 8:00 AM, Shanedorf said:

Zimmer's deal is up after 2019 season

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer’s contract has been extended through the 2020 season, General Manager Rick Spielman announced Wednesday during a session in Indianapolis with Twin Cities media members. Spielman said the Vikings exercised an option on Zimmer’s deal that was initially set to expire after 2019.

“We did exercise Coach Zimmer’s option, so he will be through 2020,” Spielman said. “I don’t think, from ownership through our entire organization, that we don’t believe in Coach Zimmer. He is the right head coach to lead us going forward.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/mike-zimmer-contract-extended-through-2020

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NFL_Announcer said:

Cousins should be fine.. he'd be a lot better if he wasn't behind the worst OL in the NFL (yes the Vikings have FAR replaced Seattle in this regard) with absolutely ZERO run game to speak of. 

This ^^^. As one of his supporters in the Redskins forum, I can say that much of the criticism of him is warranted, but to a point.

When the OL is serviceable and not leaking like the Titanic, he can be deadly to the opposing defense. The OL last year wasn't good and it wasn't good his last year in Washington.

He has the ability to bring you back from multiple scores down and get you back in the game.

He ALSO has the ability to make stupid decisions and turnovers. And many times at key moments.

I would LOVE to see what he can do with an actual running game to keep the defense honest. He never had that here in Washington and didn't really have it last year either.

And yes, he tends to come up small in big games. THAT is something even I have brought up.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This ^^^. As one of his supporters in the Redskins forum, I can say that much of the criticism of him is warranted, but to a point.

When the OL is serviceable and not leaking like the Titanic, he can be deadly to the opposing defense. The OL last year wasn't good and it wasn't good his last year in Washington.

He has the ability to bring you back from multiple scores down and get you back in the game.

He ALSO has the ability to make stupid decisions and turnovers. And many times at key moments.

I would LOVE to see what he can do with an actual running game to keep the defense honest. He never had that here in Washington and didn't really have it last year either.

And yes, he tends to come up small in big games. THAT is something even I have brought up.

Also don't forget Keenum had a better OL/run game/coordinator (and wasn't dealing with a dual OL coach (WTF was that all about?)) and one of the easiest schedules with a Rodger'less Packers in 2017-18. Vikings went from one of the easiest schedules the prior year to one of the hardest. And their offensive gameplan sucked which is exactly why DeFilippo was let go, and picked up by an even crappier org. in Jax.

Edited by NFL_Announcer

First and foremost I think the contract was terrible. I think a quarterback needy team overpaid for a guy who I think is very near his ceiling already. Do I feel like you can change The Narrative of his contract not by himself. What do I think of him as a quarterback and this will pretty much answer all of the other questions I feel like. If you can put a good team around him and I'm talkin about an offensive line a good consistent running game and good consistent wide receivers and honestly the biggest area that the Vikings struggle right now is that offensive line this is a guy who can win you more games than he will lose you but he is not going to be the reason alone that you are a dynamic team let's use Tom Brady as a comparison. Tom Brady is a quarterback that you can kind of continuously change the weapons on that roster and he helps make them better. I don't believe Kirk Cousins to be that guy but with good talent around him he can be a good quarterback. Having said that he also needs a good defense to complement his ability which the Vikings have a pretty good defense in my opinion. I believe he can be a Pro Bowl quarterback and he could be a quarterback that helps you win a Super Bowl but I feel like he's one of those quarterbacks acquire more around him than some other guys but there's at least 15 teams that would take Kirk Cousins over their current guy in a heartbeat

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 6:48 AM, Mega Ron said:

It depends how hot they are.

You can't marry them though right?

And if you can you best not have kids together.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Roll Tide.

Thank you fellas for not letting me down.

The rest of the dullards in this thread who can read “Thoughts on Cousins” and not act like a preteen could learn a thing or two from you guys.