Thoughts on Cousins

patriotsheatyan

As a Redskins fan selling out to the Browns bandwagon he is a 2nd tier QB. He wont ever be a top 5 elite QB but good enough to win if he has a solid team around him. Maholmes will get his 200 million dollar deal which will make him seem like a deal soon.

• Like 1

Just now, TENINCH said:

4000 yards 30 touchdowns and 10 interceptions behind our offensive line. I think he's a good QB. Probably overpaid but still a good QB.

I get you, but stats don’t mean anything. Bortles has also had a solid year  

You guys had a solid team and arguably the best duo Wrs. 

With a better QB you guys would’ve at least made playoffs 

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

I get you, but stats don’t mean anything. Bortles has also had a solid year  

You guys had a solid team and arguably the best duo Wrs. 

With a better QB you guys would’ve at least made playoffs 

Cousins was low on our list of problems. Defillipo's playcalling and our defense being inconsistent had more to do with our terrible record.

I still so vividly remember during our week 17 matchup vs. the bears, which was pretty much a playoff game (win and you’re in). He was constantly yelling at teammates, lost his cool at thielen, diggs and cook and has professed himself that he gets extra stressed before big games.

as a Vikings fan, it really worries me that our QB struggles dealing with pressure so much. Dealing with those situations with a clear head is pretty important if you ask me.

• Like 1

^ The Vikings lost that game because the bears pass rush was elite and our pass protection was horrid. Pretty simple. Nothing to do with the media bulls--t "can't win big games" narrative lol

Come on guys, it's football. This is an intelligent forum. Let's move past that crap please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nzd07 said:

^ The Vikings lost that game because the bears pass rush was elite and our pass protection was horrid. Pretty simple. Nothing to do with the media bulls--t "can't win big games" narrative lol

Come on guys, it's football. This is an intelligent forum. Let's move past that crap please.

It's been more than just one game. What was the excuse when Cousins lost the win and in game as Washington's QB. Or his abysmal record against winning teams over the course of his career, or even last year. 

The Bears were great last year no doubt. How much can the OL really improve in one offseason? Cousins is going to have to continue to play with likely average at best OL play. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

It's been more than just one game. What was the excuse when Cousins lost the win and in game as Washington's QB. Or his abysmal record against winning teams over the course of his career, or even last year. 

The Bears were great last year no doubt. How much can the OL really improve in one offseason? Cousins is going to have to continue to play with likely average at best OL play. 

That's the problem with the narrative right there. You're pinning losses solely on the quarterback.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

That's the problem with the narrative right there. You're pinning losses solely on the quarterback.

Let's be real though. There's a reason why QBs get paid more than any other position. Further, Cousins was given a fully guaranteed contract obviously with the intention of winning now based on the success of 2017. I can't imagine the Vikes will be fully committed to him going forward if they don't win a playoff game in 2019. Otherwise what's the point in being stuck in mediocrity and not looking for a potentially superior (and cheaper QB).

11 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

There is a lot of that going around in this league.  The QB often gets all the glory when things go well and all the blame when things go south.  Football is the ultimate team sport.  Yes, the QB has to play at a high level to win but we have ample examples of teams with pedestrian signal callers win the whole thing.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Let's be real though. There's a reason why QBs get paid more than any other position. Further, Cousins was given a fully guaranteed contract obviously with the intention of winning now based on the success of 2017. I can't imagine the Vikes will be fully committed to him going forward if they don't win a playoff game in 2019. Otherwise what's the point in being stuck in mediocrity and not looking for a potentially superior (and cheaper QB).

I'm not arguing that at all. Obviously Cousins is overpayed, and if the team can't give him decent protection the offense will never be good enough to win a SB.

However, this big name narrative is just a bunch of crap imo. It's just a lazy way to claim someone is overrated based off of a tiny sample size of performances. I know recency bias is very strong in the NFL, but I do believe that this team can be very dangerous next year. For all the gripes about our defensive performance, we were still 4th in Defensive DVOA last season.

People want to close the book on the Cousins era after one 8-7-1 season, and it's not fair. Let's have a little more faith, please.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

There is a lot of that going around in this league.  The QB often gets all the glory when things go well and all the blame when things go south.  Football is the ultimate team sport.  Yes, the QB has to play at a high level to win but we have ample examples of teams with pedestrian signal callers win the whole thing.

If Flacco & Foles can win a superbowl, Cousins can.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

why was his body language so much worse in that game than normal?

Somehow, media pundits and experts wanted to crown Kirk Cousins as such a great quarterback, yet he couldn't do enough to get a team to a playoff that had everything - great defense and special teams, quality skill positions on offense.

Yet, he is "allowed" to have such a season due to "bad oline" and "bad scheme" - yet this is the same excuse that somehow doesn't apply to other quarterbacks like Eli, Dalton, Flacco, Prescott etc. Kirk Cousins is in that exact same caliber of QB's until he proves otherwise.

• Like 2