Thoughts on Cousins

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, Nzd07 said:

That's the problem with the narrative right there. You're pinning losses solely on the quarterback.

When the league changes It's Narrative about QBs than maybe your boy Cousins can get more people on his side. Dude got 84 million guaranteed, yet its other guys who have a greater impact in big games but would be ridiculed for getting paid that much. The QB who last got them to the Playoffs didn't even get close to 84 million guaranteed! 

Edited by Skins212689

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, vikingsrule said:

Let's be real though. There's a reason why QBs get paid more than any other position. Further, Cousins was given a fully guaranteed contract obviously with the intention of winning now based on the success of 2017. I can't imagine the Vikes will be fully committed to him going forward if they don't win a playoff game in 2019. Otherwise what's the point in being stuck in mediocrity and not looking for a potentially superior (and cheaper QB).

The defense took a huge step back last season. Cousins played as good as any QB against the NFC Super Bowl rep in the Rams. If it were 2017 we'd win that one running away but the defense choked and they did it in a few games last year. Cousins had some bad-average games last year but this myth that he can beat good teams overblown. He beat the Eagles in Philly last season. We should have beaten the Saints if not for Adam Theilen's fumble. Should have beaten the Rams but again the defense let us down. 

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:

The defense took a huge step back last season. Cousins played as good as any QB against the NFC Super Bowl rep in the Rams. If it were 2017 we'd win that one running away but the defense choked and they did it in a few games last year. Cousins had some bad-average games last year but this myth that he cant beat good teams overblown. He beat the Eagles in Philly last season. We should have beaten the Saints if not for Adam Theilen's fumble. Should have beaten the Rams but again the defense let us down. 

I agree with your post as a whole but as for the bolded this has been happening for a few years now, and his primetime record is an absolute joke. 

It was just a rough year for the Vikings as a whole, to be sure 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TENINCH said:

The defense took a huge step back last season. Cousins played as good as any QB against the NFC Super Bowl rep in the Rams. If it were 2017 we'd win that one running away but the defense choked and they did it in a few games last year. Cousins had some bad-average games last year but this myth that he can beat good teams overblown. He beat the Eagles in Philly last season. We should have beaten the Saints if not for Adam Theilen's fumble. Should have beaten the Rams but again the defense let us down. 

The defense wasn't that bad. It was still a top 5 unit outside of the game where the Rams out up a bunch of points on bad coverages (remember Barr getting beat quite often that game).

just seems like excuses are always made for Cousins. He had the OL and run game in Washington, but just needed a great group of receivers to get to the next level. Now he comes to MN who has a great to elite defense, great receivers and a poor run blocking OL (pass pro was on par with league avg.) yet he can't yet be held accountable?

the devotion of $28m of cap space to Cousins should imply he doesn't need to be carried because the Vikes have to make sacrifices to afford him (inactivity in FA for OL).

Cousins had some bad moments last year, but he also had plenty of good ones, so I'm going to give it another year before making any decision on him, either positively or negatively.  At the same time, I would love to see the Vikings acquire Rosen from Arizona if he becomes available for a third round pick.

15 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I still think Cousins is a top 10 QB. I'll give him another year in Minnesota to develop some chemistry with his receivers. 

I don't think chemistry is the issue. Diggs and Thielen had huge seasons. I think the run game needs to be fixed via OL improvements and Cousins needs to overcome his own shortcomings.

Yet, he is "allowed" to have such a season due to "bad oline" and "bad scheme" - yet this is the same excuse that somehow doesn't apply to other quarterbacks like Eli, Dalton, Flacco, Prescott etc. Kirk Cousins is in that exact same caliber of QB's until he proves otherwise.

How are those guys not getting excuses?

Eli has been terrible for several years now and likely going to start next year. Flacco has been bad for a while now and yet will start next year. If they didn't have SB rings, both guys may be out of the league right now. Dak has also gotten pass the last couple of years due to bad scheme and play caller.  

Dalton is really the only one you can argue that has criticized unfairly. 

I'm not making excuses for Cousins. I don't think he is worth what the Vikings paid him, however no QB is going to make the playoffs with an Oline like that. Couple that with no running game and the defense being weaker early on. It isn't solely on Counsins...

• Like 3

At some point if you're an actual great player your greatness should be able to mitigate and cover up some of the flaws on your team. You don't pay someone Cousins money to still need a great o-line for him to function properly

On the whole, i think Cousins has continued to be pretty much exactly what reasonable people expected him to be.  He's an exceptionally middling QB who is going to go about as far as a team's surrounding talent will take him.  He's not going to hold a team back, but he's not going to elevate them either.  I think you had to go into that Cousins MegaContract expecting as much though.  Anyone thinking he was going to be something other that what he's been previously, just because they handed him a billion and a half dollars fully guaranteed...was foolhardy.

It's one of those situations where i think you have to look at it as a knowing and willful "overpayment".  The Vikings paid a middling QB "top tier money" because in a distorted QB market, that was the price to upgrade from "inadequate" to "adequate".  Whether or not the big money going to a mediocre QB like Cousins prohibits the Vikings from putting the requisite talent around him to actually win big, remains to be seen i guess.  Early returns weren't great, but they obviously felt like they had to take their shot though, and there weren't a lot of other "easy" options out there...so this is it.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:51 PM, Riftty said:

I'm not making excuses for Cousins. I don't think he is worth what the Vikings paid him, however no QB is going to make the playoffs with an Oline like that. Couple that with no running game and the defense being weaker early on. It isn't solely on Counsins...

I like Cousins, but this is a pretty big overstatement. The Vikings almost made the playoffs with Cousins. There are a handful of QBs who would have elevated that Vikings team to the playoffs. 

• 4 weeks later...