RamFan24 First Mock Offseason

RamsFan24

20 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

In general, I agree with this statement, but it doesn't consider the details and circumstances surrounding Fowler's presence on our team.

Including playoffs, Fowler had 3.5 sacks in 11 games as a Ram. He also had 4 TFL in the playoffs. He really started to come on later in the season and into the playoffs showing his grasp of defense, understanding which gaps will open and when to attack playing off of Donald and Suh.  Also, he cost us 3rd and a 5th round pick for a 1st round talent. I think if we can't give him a 1 year prove it type deal, we should tag him. I realize I'm in the minority on this forum for that take, but I see tremendous potential in Fowler as the pass rusher we've been looking for and as his time with the Rams went on, he proved how disruptive of a playmaker he can be on this defense.

Per 16 games, that's 5 sacks.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Per 16 games, that's 5 sacks.

Yes. Yes, it is. Considering he made plays when we needed them the most and it was his first year in the Rams system I would say next season we can expect 8-10. He's only 24 years old I think so, again, his upside is too much to let walk. If we signed him to a one year prove it deal, that would be $10-$12mil. If we tag him, it would cost us likely $15mil. Would I let him leave for $3mil and essentially say we pissed away a 3rd and a 5th? No. But that's just me.

39 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Yes. Yes, it is. Considering he made plays when we needed them the most and it was his first year in the Rams system I would say next season we can expect 8-10. He's only 24 years old I think so, again, his upside is too much to let walk. If we signed him to a one year prove it deal, that would be $10-$12mil. If we tag him, it would cost us likely $15mil. Would I let him leave for $3mil and essentially say we pissed away a 3rd and a 5th? No. But that's just me.

I think you're looking at Fowler with rose-colored glasses. He wasn't an 8-10 sack per year guy in Jax. He wasn't that in his limited time here. I'm not willing to pay him like he is without more. But reasonable minds can differ. 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think you're looking at Fowler with rose-colored glasses. He wasn't an 8-10 sack per year guy in Jax. He wasn't that in his limited time here. I'm not willing to pay him like he is without more. But reasonable minds can differ. 

Well this is again where I want to look at Fowler with circumstances and details.

In 2016 he's coming off a major injury and was essentially a rookie. He had 4 sacks and given the circumstances I think that's decent output given his 1 start.

In 2017 with a full healthy offseason, he had 8 sacks. Doubled production. Had 3 FR and a TD.  That's the progression you're looking for from year 1 to 2.

In 2018, the team sputtered and he got traded midway through because they had a replacement without an off field issue or major injury on his record. I get it. Still a 1st round talent on a rookie deal so we rolled the dice.

If we saw a jump from '16-'17, I don't see why we can't expect the same thing given our coaching staff and his ability to progress with a full offseason in Wade's system.

22 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Well this is again where I want to look at Fowler with circumstances and details.

In 2016 he's coming off a major injury and was essentially a rookie. He had 4 sacks and given the circumstances I think that's decent output given his 1 start.

In 2017 with a full healthy offseason, he had 8 sacks. Doubled production. Had 3 FR and a TD.  That's the progression you're looking for from year 1 to 2.

In 2018, the team sputtered and he got traded midway through because they had a replacement without an off field issue or major injury on his record. I get it. Still a 1st round talent on a rookie deal so we rolled the dice.

If we saw a jump from '16-'17, I don't see why we can't expect the same thing given our coaching staff and his ability to progress with a full offseason in Wade's system.

That's a risky bet. Shane Ray had the same jump from Year 1 to Year 2. He fell off in Year 3. Fowler also fell off in Year 3. I wouldn't take that risk. There are strong FA and Draft classes at 3-4 OLB. But if Fowler is willing to settle for a reasonable deal, I'd bring him back. I just wouldn't pay him like a #1 pass rusher.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 3:03 PM, BStanRamFan said:

Came in at $14mil on his 1yr prove it deal, but damn I was close. So glad we re-signed him. 

Archived