Thielen

Golfman

I think it's just speculation at this point and nothing more. For two reasons, he is severely underpaid and Diggs just got a huge raise.

The Vikes are strapped for cash but they've got some flexibility if they cut Remmers, Sendejo and Rudolph, and maybe rework Griffen's deal. 

Thielen needs to be paid though.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think it's just speculation at this point and nothing more. For two reasons, he is severely underpaid and Diggs just got a huge raise.

The Vikes are strapped for cash but they've got some flexibility if they cut Remmers, Sendejo and Rudolph, and maybe rework Griffen's deal. 

Thielen needs to be paid though.

Speculation? His agent came out and said it on his behalf. Now, I don't think he's making any threats and doesn't seem that kind of guy, but it's not speculation. 

Plenty of areas to create space on this team. Rudolph is an expiring contract next year, Sendejo has a $5.5M option that the team will likely decline, Mike Remmers makes too much money and will likely get the axe, Everson Griffen has very little guaranteed money left on his contract.

Adam certainly deserves more money that he's being paid based on his production, so it wouldn't shock me to see something done.

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings FO has known they'll have to pay Thielen big for the last two years. they're planning on it.

It doesn't seem like Thielen is intent on sitting out either. I'm not concerned in the least. We've got money to get a deal done and Thielen has indicated that he's willing to work on a new deal without hurting the team in the process. 

14 hours ago, Golfman said:

Seems your home grown boy wants more money. Where do you think that is coming from with your cap strapped organization? 

We, in the Vikings forum, have been expecting it.  We even began discussing it last offseason.  So, if it's not a surprise to us, it isn't a surprise to the organization.  And the organization isn't really all that "cap-strapped."  As @RpMc indicated, there's quite a bit of flexibility to get something done.  

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

We, in the Vikings forum, have been expecting it.  We even began discussing it last offseason.  So, if it's not a surprise to us, it isn't a surprise to the organization.  And the organization isn't really all that "cap-strapped."  As @RpMc indicated, there's quite a bit of flexibility to get something done.  

There are also plenty of creative ways to get him more money without exploding the salary cap. The Vikings are one of the very best organizations out there when it comes to that type of thing.

15 hours ago, Golfman said:

Speculation? His agent came out and said it on his behalf. Now, I don't think he's making any threats and doesn't seem that kind of guy, but it's not speculation. 

Thielen's agent: “I have a job to do and Rob and Rick Spielman and the Vikings have a job to do and we respect what each other does. It doesn’t mean we always have to agree. I have a lot of respect for those guys. They have built an unbelievable organization. They’ve built a really, really good locker room, which I don’t think people realize. That’s not the case everywhere. This team has a lot of really good things in place for it. I know they want to take care of Adam and I know they want Adam there and I know they want to reward Adam. What exactly that looks like, and when that happens, I can’t speak to yet. But I’m cautiously optimistic that everyone will come around and do the right thing. No one is being greedy, everyone understands the situation and it’s really in their court."

"If it was just me sitting in Rick’s chair or Zygi's or Mark's chair, or Rob Brzezinski’s chair, it would be easy to write the check to him. But I understand it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. So we’re all hopeful that it will get done. That’s all that I can say.”

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/02/adam-thielens-agent-were-all-hopeful-a-contract-extension-will-get-done/

he doesn't seem to be playing hardball with the Vikings, just being a businessman. chill, dude.

2 hours ago, vikings209 said:

I think something will happen during the season. The salary cap is a myth. There's always money that can be found and we have one of the best in the business to find it for us. 

I can assure you that the salary cap is very real. The league would be very different without it.

2 hours ago, vikings209 said:

I think something will happen during the season. The salary cap is a myth. There's always money that can be found and we have one of the best in the business to find it for us. 

The cap is not a myth. There are creative ways to move money around from year to year, but at some point the piper comes calling. 

I'm not seeing all this cap space that others are seeing given the following:

Current cap space: ~$7.25M

1. Cut Remmers and Sendejo (Saves ~$10M)

2. Restructure/pay cut for Griffen and Rudy (Assume another $7M - $9M is freed up)

That is ~$24.25M - $26.25M in cap space. We need ~$7M to sign draft picks and I'm guessing we're trying to resign one of Barr/Richardson at around ~$10-12M, possibly more. That leaves ~$7M to play with in free agency and think about extending Thielen.

I know we can give him, Thielen, a large signing bonus and have that pro-rated against the cap over the life of the deal. Don't mean to come off as negative but what am I missing?

I've never really thought they they'd bring back either Richardson or Barr, although if they did, I'm almost assuredly thinking it'd be Barr.  It depends upon what you perceive as acceptable cap space.   In the neighborhood of $30M is good enough cap space to make relevant moves.  They don't have a huge amount of holes.  

Archived