Thielen

Golfman

18 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I know we can give him, Thielen, a large signing bonus and have that pro-rated against the cap over the life of the deal. Don't mean to come off as negative but what am I missing?

You are missing the team's need to sign a couple offensive linemen with the leftover cap space.

Seriously though, the team can extend Thielen to give him a raise without increasing his '19 cap number much if at all. Start by converting his base salary this year into a signing bonus prorated over four years. That saves about $4.5M against the cap this year. Then give him a raise this year of something like $4M. Give him more guarantees in the form of roster bonus due early next league year.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

You are missing the team's need to sign a couple offensive linemen with the leftover cap space.

Seriously though, the team can extend Thielan to give him a raise without increasing his '19 cap number much if at all. Start by converting his base salary this year into a signing bonus prorated over four years. That saves about $4.5M against the cap this year. Then give him a raise this year of something like $4M. Give him more guarantees in the form of roster bonus due early next league year.

In my scenario I said they'd have ~$7M to spend in FA and look at extending Thielen. In reality, if he is extended/restructured, that would open more cap space to push us up over $10M I imagine.

I'd be 100% fine cutting or trading Thielen and rolling with Diggs & Treadwell as our top two WR's.

Treadwell has more than shown he's ready to take on a bigger role in the offense leaving old man Thielen to be expendable.

This is why we need to make Adam happy. We have nothing after him. Pay the man!

15 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'd be 100% fine cutting or trading Thielen and rolling with Diggs & Treadwell as our top two WR's.

Treadwell has more than shown he's ready to take on a bigger role in the offense leaving old man Thielen to be expendable.

This is why we need to make Adam happy. We have nothing after him. Pay the man!

Why delay the inevitable? The Chad Beebe era is upon us!

4 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Why delay the inevitable? The Chad Beebe era is upon us!

Let's be honest, it's like holding back a pack of wild rabbits. He just can't be held back!

Heck, do we even need Diggs?

Treadwell, Beebe, Robinson, Zylstra? 

If Kirk doesn't throw for 6,000 & 72 with those four.....we need a new QB.

On 2019-02-21 at 2:52 PM, VikeManDan said:

I'm not seeing all this cap space that others are seeing given the following:

Current cap space: ~$7.25M

1. Cut Remmers and Sendejo (Saves ~$10M)

2. Restructure/pay cut for Griffen and Rudy (Assume another $7M - $9M is freed up)

That is ~$24.25M - $26.25M in cap space. We need ~$7M to sign draft picks and I'm guessing we're trying to resign one of Barr/Richardson at around ~$10-12M, possibly more. That leaves ~$7M to play with in free agency and think about extending Thielen.

I know we can give him, Thielen, a large signing bonus and have that pro-rated against the cap over the life of the deal. Don't mean to come off as negative but what am I missing?

Draft picks will only count for around 2.5 mil. The top 51 rule means that as a draft pick is added to the cap another player is removed. They may also just choose to let Griffen walk (i feel hes not the same guy as 2017) which would add more space. Players like Smith and Joseph could also be reworked if the right opportunity presents itself. I dont expect them to go crazy in FA but they have the flexibility to retain some guys and grab a new starter or 2 on the line.

30 minutes ago, boombap said:

Draft picks will only count for around 2.5 mil. The top 51 rule means that as a draft pick is added to the cap another player is removed. They may also just choose to let Griffen walk (i feel hes not the same guy as 2017) which would add more space. Players like Smith and Joseph could also be reworked if the right opportunity presents itself. I dont expect them to go crazy in FA but they have the flexibility to retain some guys and grab a new starter or 2 on the line.

Forgot about top 51, thanks for that reminder.

It will certainly be interesting in what they decide to do with Griffen.

Archived