Fixing movies thread

KManX89

This is basically an idea I stole off of a subreddit and other forums where you can jot off ideas to fix flawed movies (I've already seen several ideas expressed on how to fix movies in other threads on here without going into specifics). There's always that one film that you didn't like or thought "I liked it, but it wasn't good/could've been better" and want to share YOUR vision for. Well, here's your thread to list those ideas to make it better.

My movie of choice is World War Z. The changes I would make are as follows:

-Actually follow the book. Give interviews of each person's individual struggles against the zombies with all the memorable battles in said book (or as much of it as you can possibly fit in a 2-2.5 hour film). The original script did a tremendous job following the source material, and yet it was scrapped in favor of a generic action zombie movie with Brad Pitt. 

When the author of the book it cons people into believing it's an adaptation of publicly goes on record and says it only keeps the title and nothing else, you have a problem, especially with a book so beloved.

-No superhuman protagonist who miraculously survives every imaginable doomsday scenario thrown at him. Seriously, surviving a plane crash, surviving a serious car crash without so much as needing medical attention (because then the zombie horde would obvs get him, and we can't have that), surviving a stick through his lungs, zombies slowing down as soon as they're about to get him, conveniently catching a plane ride when he's about to get devoured, miraculously finding a cure when zombies are about to get him, having random civilians save him when he's about to get eaten, Jesus, how many miracles does this guy need to get his family home in one piece? xD

-No plot holes for the sake of continuance (yes, I realize I just named a bunch of them above). Seriously, they couldn't make Brad Pitt travel somewhere close by and less populated to get his daughter medicine knowing there's ZOMBIES on the loose? Then again, we don't have a movie if he doesn't travel 90 minutes to NEWARK, of all places in the middle of an outbreak (what could possibly go wrong?), again with dumbing down the script to move the plot forward.

-Zombies should actually move slow (just like in the book). It's much more suspenseful and foreboding when your human protagonist has a slow burn encounter against hordes of zombies with the constant lingering threat of death hanging over him/her around every corner.

And above all:

-No annoying shaky cams/quick cuts so we can actually tell WTF is happening. FFS, it's a zombie movie! You show the carnage in full detail, that's the whole charm of these movies. And people should actually bleed when bitten or getting their arm lobbed off (or so I think, you can't really tell when they don't show it or the blood spill that should follow, at least in the theatrical cut), just sayin'. 

As a fan of zombies, slasher flicks and pretty much any and all things horror, WWZ was a let down, and not JUST because it was so obviously neutered to appease the studio heads, though it certainly didn't help (see above), the YMS (YourMovieSucks.org) video on the movie was spot on (it covers more of the glaring plot holes I talked extensively about): 

The one that always gets me is The Hateful Eight just because of how simple it is: 

1. Remove the stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid narration that tips viewers off to what's about to happen to Kurt Russell's character. 

2. Remove the flashback of the villains originally arriving. 

The flashback had zero suspense whatsoever.  You knew exactly who was going to live and who was going to die.  It was pointless and it slowed the movie down at probably the most suspenseful moment of the movie.  It destroyed the pacing. 

The narration ruined what otherwise would have been probably a top 5 moment in cinematic history for me.  Why in God's name Quentin Tarantino decided to insert not only the narration, but obnoxious narration where he seemed to talk like a small child, is beyond me.  As soon as you heard that narration, you knew Kurt Russell was toast.  It also completely destroyed what would have been one of the most shocking and unexpected moments ever. 

The more I think about these two moments in that movie, the more I dislike the movie.  I tried to ignore them and I tried to look past them, but they completely and totally wreck the movie for me.  I don't even want to watch the movie anymore because of that narration.  It is so disturbingly misplaced and misguided that it makes me wish he had never made the movie. 

Without those two things, this movie might be a top 10 movie all-time for me.  With those two things added, the movie doesn't even crack my top 100. 

Just now, Malfatron said:

I am Legend.

Use the original book ending. Movie title would make sense and it would be regarded as on par with the Sixth Sense, instead of a throwaway

Still wouldn't fix it.  Cast a serious actor and turn it into a straight horror, not an action horror.  Also, replace the crappy CGI that takes you completely out of the movie and replace it with the makeup Alec Gillis proposed before it got scrapped and handed off to lesser talent. 

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3547662/alec-gillis-shares-early-test-makeup-designs-ridley-scotts-unmade-version-legend/

Justice League.

• Make it 30 minutes longer to flesh out Steppenwolf, and give the heroes more time to grow together
  • Fix the CGI, especially the Cavill parts
  • Keep the original Darkseid ending
  • Ditch the repeated cuts to the Russian family

50 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Justice League.

• Make it 30 minutes longer to flesh out Steppenwolf, and give the heroes more time to grow together

It would take more than that, but it's a start.

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Justice League.

• Make it 30 minutes

i like it already.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:
  • longer to flesh out Steppenwolf, and give the heroes more time to grow together

never mind.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It would take more than that, but it's a start.

I don't think it's that far off from being good. The biggest problems are the CGI and the pacing due to the mandate that they had to make the movie under two hours.

Honestly, comic book movies are really the only movies I think much about what could make them better.   In most other cases, a movie is either good or it isnt....and thats it.

I Am Legend was a good one though in regards to changing the movie.

Batman v Superman

1) Recast Lex Luthor.    Eisenberg was a horrible pick/horrible vision for Lex.    Off the top of my head....I wouldve cast someone like Arnold Vosloo as Lex.   Perfect look and has the acting chops to pull of the vision of Lex more people would like to see.

2) Have Lex initially want to befriend Superman -  The motivations for Lex in BvS were laughable, to say the least.    IMO, Lex shouldve initially tried to befriend Superman, acting like he had the best interest of the city and world in mind.   In reality, he wanted Superman to do his bidding.    When Superman refuses to join Lex, ultimately, Lex grows to resent Superman.

3) Lex manipulates Batman -   This happens in BvS, but in a very stupid way.  Lex could invite Batman to meet with him and give him the exo-suit and kryptonite to fight Superman.    Batman is reluctant at first, but Lex stages an event that makes Batman really concerned about Superman's intentions.     Lex then stages something else where Superman ends up attacking Lex's private security (seemingly unprovoked), but Batman shows up in the exosuit and attacks Superman, and a fight ensues.

4) Replace Doomsday with Metallo -  Jon Corbin (Metalllo) was a Navy Seal who was gravely injured and lost his family during the events of Man of Steel.    Lex Luthor saved his life and rebuilt his body using recovered Krypotonian metal and a piece of Kryptonite which kept his damaged heart beating.    This would give Metallo a legit reason to hate Superman and serve Luthor.

5) Lex Captures Superman, but Batman rescues him  -   Since Superman wont join Lex, Lex intends to study and potentially clone Superman to create and army of LexCorps controlled superhumans.   Batman breaks into LexCorps facilities and saves Superman when he realizes Lex manipulated him.

6) Final battle between Superman and Batman vs Metallo -   Metallo gets the better of them, but Batman proves to Metallo that his family isnt really dead, and that Lex tricked him so he could use him.   Metallo goes to kill Lex, but Superman stops him.    Superman and Batman tell Lex they'll be watching him.

Archived