What Bright Young Star Should Steelers Sign To Replace Mike Tomlin?

Money

23 hours ago, August4th said:

Anyone see tomlin retiring or taking a break when his deal is up? he's still very young, but he has been coaching here since 2007 and his deal is up after 2020? that would be 14 seasons at one place. How many coaches have stayed at one place for 13+ years? noll, sula, Landry, Bill and maybe a few others. Cowher retired around his 15th yr here. so I can the steelers looking for a new HC soon, even if we keep winning. A local reporter brought up the idea of Tomlin stepping back once his boys were in college.

as long as rooney is happy with what this team has become, why would tomlin walk away from all that money?

i think the guys has been coasting for years now, why not keep it up?

seems like the time to be at home is when the kids were around, not wait until their gone.............

We all always seem to like the shiny new toys (I.E. the next hot coach).  However, what happens after the honeymoon is over

and adversity hits the next guy? Get rid of him too? 

I am not completely sold that Coach T is or should be coaching another 20 years or even another five years. I do want to see

how he gets the team to respond to what has happened over the past few years of under-performing and missing the mark of winning a SB.

That will tell me if Coach T has done his best coaching already, rode on the coat tails of inheriting a better than average team from Coach Cowher, under-acheived with the talent that he helped to build? 

Chuck Noll built the Steelers from the ground up, but could not do it again. As someone mentioned, we hit some rough years during the 80's.

Although I think the players strike of 1982 hurt the Steelers. I believe that was a very good veteran team that could have won it all. 

In contrast, Coach Cowher and Coach Tomlin have kept the Steelers at least competitive.  Although our standard in Pittsburgh is Super Bowl or Bust, they have kept the team in contention.  Adversity catches all coaches and teams.  It is how you respond.  The coach who will go down as possibly the G.O.A.T. above the names of Shula and Lombardi was almost tabbed "just another successful coordinator who can't manage and do it as a HC."

As a fan who supports Coach T, I am very disappointed in the results of this team the past few years and the overall play-off record the past several seasons as well. I also don't want to be knee-jerk and simply pull the coach.  How the coach and team responds this year will tell me a lot.  I understand and respect those who have run out of patience, but I think that Coach T can turn it around. We will see.

12 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

We all always seem to like the shiny new toys (I.E. the next hot coach).  However, what happens after the honeymoon is over

and adversity hits the next guy? Get rid of him too? 

I am not completely sold that Coach T is or should be coaching another 20 years or even another five years. I do want to see

how he gets the team to respond to what has happened over the past few years of under-performing and missing the mark of winning a SB.

That will tell me if Coach T has done his best coaching already, rode on the coat tails of inheriting a better than average team from Coach Cowher, under-acheived with the talent that he helped to build? 

Chuck Noll built the Steelers from the ground up, but could not do it again. As someone mentioned, we hit some rough years during the 80's.

Although I think the players strike of 1982 hurt the Steelers. I believe that was a very good veteran team that could have won it all. 

In contrast, Coach Cowher and Coach Tomlin have kept the Steelers at least competitive.  Although our standard in Pittsburgh is Super Bowl or Bust, they have kept the team in contention.  Adversity catches all coaches and teams.  It is how you respond.  The coach who will go down as possibly the G.O.A.T. above the names of Shula and Lombardi was almost tabbed "just another successful coordinator who can't manage and do it as a HC."

As a fan who supports Coach T, I am very disappointed in the results of this team the past few years and the overall play-off record the past several seasons as well. I also don't want to be knee-jerk and simply pull the coach.  How the coach and team responds this year will tell me a lot.  I understand and respect those who have run out of patience, but I think that Coach T can turn it around. We will see.

why not?

what has only having 2 coaches in the past 30 years gotten us? 2 super bowls...............there are plenty of other teams with that many or more that have had more coaches

i appreciate your patience with giving him one more year, as you know, i am tired of hearing, 'lets see what happens next year'

i dont think 3 post season wins the past 8 years is knee jerk

10 hours ago, muncher said:

why not?

what has only having 2 coaches in the past 30 years gotten us? 2 super bowls...............there are plenty of other teams with that many or more that have had more coaches.

Again, our standard in Pittsburgh is Super Bowl wins. We are spoiled in that it is not a success without a Lombardi being hoisted in the end. I believe that it should be that way.  However, it doesn't mean that your team is not in contention year in and year out. Coach Noll, Coach Tomlin and Coach Cowher have been to four combined in the SB's over the past thirty years with Coach Cowher and Coach Tomlin going 1-1 respectively or 2-2 combined.

There is no universal right or wrong. It is go with your gut and what you feel. No one can say one way or the other who is wrong.  The Cleveland Browns last won the AFC Central/North in 1989. Since then they have had thirteen Head Coaches.  What have they won?  And there are countless other examples as well.  They had the only coach to have won more than two SB's in that same time span in Bill Bellicheck and they fired his butt too for losing. You never know what you may or may not have. Although there are some flaws in Coach T's style and other aspects, he is by no means a mediocre coach.  Is it time to move on? In my mind, maybe.  I am willing to give him another year to see the changes that he makes and how the team responds. I think he deserves that.  After that, then I will assess accordingly.

i appreciate your patience with giving him one more year, as you know, i am tired of hearing, 'lets see what happens next year'

i dont think 3 post season wins the past 8 years is knee jerk

I agree with you that his post season record is not the best, his situational game management, coaching challenges, and even the handling of star players are areas of opportunity.  He also has quite a few strengths and benefits as well. I still believe that the good that Coach T offers far outweighs his opportunities. We are all tired of wait until next year.  We assume that we should have won with Ben, Bell, Brown, Bryant.

Archived