Ravens extend CB Tavon Young for further 3yrs $26m

AFlaccoSeagulls

I am very happy we locked up one of the young and best slot/nickel cornerbacks in the league. Outside of his injury and one game against AJ Green where the Bengals outsmarted us, Young has been a playmaker in every facet of the game.

Nice... I think we are buying off of his peak stock value, but after his health cleared up.

Young and Humphrey is a great foundation for a top tier secondary for a long time.

This does make it seem like a move with one of Smith/Carr could be coming. Unlikely we keep all of those pricey, but good CBs.

27 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Nice... I think we are buying off of his peak stock value, but after his health cleared up.

Young and Humphrey is a great foundation for a top tier secondary for a long time.

This does make it seem like a move with one of Smith/Carr could be coming. Unlikely we keep all of those pricey, but good CBs.

Makes more sense to keep Carr. We have him on a very good deal for a solid Corner who had a good campaign last year. 

I'm not convinced this deal means anything for Jimmy Smith tbh. I think they just wanted to get it done. 

2 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Great signing. I'm interested to see the numbers. I'd assume something like a 5 year deal with an average of 7.5? I could be high or low, I really don't know. 

3/26 is basically $8.6M/year for Tavon Young.

I don't like this as much any longer after looking at these numbers. He's a solid player for us, but highest paid Nickel CB in the NFL? Oof.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't like this as much any longer after looking at these numbers. He's a solid player for us, but highest paid Nickel CB in the NFL? Oof.

As the cap goes up, so do contracts. Scary though. If Tavon is worth this? Humphrey will be getting a monster deal if his solid play continues 

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If it is an extension, then it makes more sense to consider it a four year deal.

His salary for 2019 was slated at 700k. So looking at it as if it is 4/27 is more accurate.  

6 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If it is an extension, then it makes more sense to consider it a four year deal.

His salary for 2019 was slated at 700k. So looking at it as if it is 4/27 is more accurate.  

Seeing the numbers. I can't see Jimmy being a Raven next year now. Marlon, Carr, Tavon will be the top 3 CBs going forward I assume. 

Wonder what we can get for JS? Fournette would be nice 😂

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yep, exactly. 100% ok with securing Tavon for the next 4 years at ~7mil per. All dude does is make plays.

This is a pretty un-Ravens-like move.  I guess that's the influence of Eric DeCosta instead of Ozzie letting players play out their contract year +/- test free agency.

Overall I like it.  With the exception of the Cincy game where he was inexplicably playing on AJ Green he was exceptional last year and we know it wasn't a fluke because he did it his rookie year too

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Depending on how it's structured of course, but it is probably the right way to look at it

This was great news to wake up to. Secured a top 5 yet still ascending talent, who embodies what it means to be a Raven. NCBs will be making 10 per+ soon enough. Let's not forget Tavon has the versatility to play outside as well. I love the deal.

Tavon + Marlon = Wins

DeCosta isn't disappointing in his debut so far. Keep up the great work ED. (pun intended)

Archived